PDA

View Full Version : Which Headstock Design?

Julie Moriarty
03-13-2014, 5:16 PM
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Radocaster/radhdcomp_zps5226ae80.jpg

Shawn Pixley
03-13-2014, 6:08 PM
Julie, i stilll like #5 but think it needs some refinement.

On only what you posted my favorites best to worst, 5, 1, 2, 4, & 3.

The top of #5 needs refinement. The top of #1 has a nicer curve. I also might recommend experimenting the the shape / curve of the two woods near the nut. But again, this only my opinion. And a subjective one at that.

george wilson
03-13-2014, 7:03 PM
Now,after more study,I like #4 the best. But it could be made a little less wide,so it is proportioned like #1.

On #2,make sure there is sufficient wood above the top hole to cover the tuning key body,and enough wood that the screw doesn't split out the wood above it.

Mel Fulks
03-13-2014, 7:29 PM
Like 2 the best ,but think it would be strengthened by more of a point at the top. Some of the classical guitar makers have designs that are almost the same but still different enough for the real buffs to recognize .

Raymond Fries
03-14-2014, 9:08 AM
Julie,

I am partial to #2 but I would slightly round the pointed tip of the reddish wood just to blend better with the other curves. By the time all of us finish giving you our opinions on changes, you will have a combination of all five choices that will be awesome if implemented. LOL

They all would look nice on your guitar.

Enjoy Life...

Julie Moriarty
03-14-2014, 9:16 AM
I asked Brian and two of his friends (all 21 & male) and I did a poll on a Fender website. With the votes here so fr (3 total), here's the cumulative totals:

#1 - 8 votes
#2 - 5 votes
#3 - 4 votes
#4 - 4 votes
#5 - 16 votes

My vote is included in there. I picked #1. I agree with you Shawn, about #5 needing refinement, but I'm at a loss which direction to go. With things just as they are my rankings would be 1 - 2 - 5 - 4 - 3. I can't NOT see a bird and penguin when I look at 3 & 4. Looking hard at them just now, I think I need to break into the maple with the accent wood with some of the designs, kind of like I did on #5.

Someone on the Fender forum pointed out #2 may not provide enough room for the tuner at the top. He was right.

Julie Moriarty
03-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Julie,

I am partial to #2 but I would slightly round the pointed tip of the reddish wood just to blend better with the other curves. By the time all of us finish giving you our opinions on changes, you will have a combination of all five choices that will be awesome if implemented. LOL

They all would look nice on your guitar.

Enjoy Life...

Thanks Ray. It's a work in progress, no doubt.

I missed your vote when I last posted. So now the overall tally (including the updates on the Fender forum) is:

#1 - 8 votes
#2 - 8 votes
#3 - 4 votes
#4 - 5 votes
#5 - 19 votes

As for #2, I had to move the curve at the end toward the top some more and extend the overall length. I took one of the tuners I had and made a CAD drawing of it and found there wasn't enough room for the tuner body at the top.
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Radocaster/rad_head_03T_zps78c7aa5f.jpg

Raymond Fries
03-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Good thing you discovered it in CAD and not during the build. It will be a wonderful project with any of them. People really like #5 so I would lean that way as people's choice always seems a good way to go.

Looking forward to seeing the finished guitar.

Enjoy Life...

Julie Moriarty
03-14-2014, 3:46 PM
After I posted that image with the tuners, one guy at the Fender forum said he wants to change his vote from 5 to 2.

Total votes so far:
1 - 9
2 - 10
3 - 6
4 - 5
5 - 18

I wonder who's going to win the horse race?

Mel Fulks
03-14-2014, 7:25 PM
I think it is definately helpful to see it with the tuners on ,and I still like that one. Looked at the factory designs last night and you have indeed topped them. All of theirs just look too blobby. Think I would lose the rounded corner on tuner side
to whatever extent that it would not be awkward to the player. Sharp definition is one thing that shows custom work on a
lot of things.