PDA

View Full Version : beaded,burnt,kerfed, and dyed

jwjerry w kowalski
03-13-2014, 3:37 PM
Here's a box elder turning that I beaded and then cut the vertical segments with a japanese saw instead of burning them, just took a few minutes to do instead of the hassle of burning and trying to keep straight lines. I then burnt upper and lower rings around the segments, and then burnt every other segment except for a small design at the midway point of the box on both sides to break up the monotony a little bit. Now I could dye the wood without worrying about it bleeding into the unwanted areas. The finial is from the American Woodturner tutorial and is maple that was dyed with ebony stain, which turned it a grey color, so I had to take a felt marker over that once it dried and then sealed with a sanding sealer shellac, I then applied 5 coats of woodturners finish to everything. I thought the finial wasn't too bad until I looked at the picture I can see now that it needs more of a sweep from the end towards the base. Anyway this is the first attempt at the beading and dyeing so the next one should go smoother. Thanks for looking any C &C is welcome.284568284569284570284571

Marc Himes
03-13-2014, 5:05 PM
Jerry, this is a beautiful box! The burning and the dyed portion go very well together and I suspect the texture is very interesting when it is held. The finial looks fine, but I think I see what you mean, perhaps a little thinner towards the top if we are seeing it the same. In any event, this is a really nice looking piece. Great work!

charlie knighton
03-13-2014, 9:26 PM
very nice, that was a lot of work with a lot of different things done right, well done, like the red and black

Michelle Rich
03-14-2014, 6:02 AM
impressive work. sawing the lines is an interesting approach. Very appealing vessel.

steven carter
03-14-2014, 8:47 AM
I really like it! a lot of work I am sure, but looks like it was well worth the effort. I have good luck "ebonizing" maple with India ink I get at Hobby Lobby, you might want to give it a try.

Grant Wilkinson
03-14-2014, 9:30 AM
You did an incredible job on the piece. As I'm not a lid and finial type guy, I like it "nude". The third pic, to me, shows off the unbeaded maple without the distraction of the lid and finial. Clearly, I'm not with the majority, though.

jwjerry w kowalski
03-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, Steven I'll definitely try the india ink, thanks for the info.

Terry Beadle
03-14-2014, 1:11 PM
Be sure when you sign your name to put master craftsman right beside it.

Great job !

Dave Cullen
03-14-2014, 2:38 PM
I like this piece a lot, Jerry. What did you burn with?

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-14-2014, 3:54 PM
Wow, This is above and beyond. Congrats on a great job.
faust

jwjerry w kowalski
03-14-2014, 6:40 PM
Dave, I burned with a Detail Master IV made by Sabre. It gets red hot in about 2 seconds, the tip is a v shape with a small bend in it. I use the tip of a skew to mark the boundary of the accent ring, then as the burning tip gets close to the skew cut, the burn stops at the cut so it makes a nice neat ring.

Len Mullin
03-14-2014, 7:40 PM
It's a gorgeous bit of work Jerry, you've done an exceptional job.
Len