PDA

View Full Version : They disregarded the sage advice of St. Marcus the Wise

Mark Ross
03-13-2014, 1:40 PM
Not a week ago St. Marcus the wise spake in this forum...

"Also a safety word to the wise that gets repeated here every so often, sometimes with pictures posted of the damage...

Do not for a single minute turn your back when you are cutting styrene. It can and for us it often does flare up between the stuck on stuff on the vector grid and the backside of the styrene. Having a full blast air assist will not always put out the flames, in fact, it ends up feeding it! Keep an extinguisher of the right size and composition nearby. And whatever you do, don't walk away to go to the bathroom "real quick". All it takes is "real quick"."

Guess what somebody did at work today? It was acrylic, not styrene but still...DON'T TURN YOUR BACK...

So if there is anyone that has or had an Epilog 36EXT that was multipurposed as a laser, smoker, and char broiler, let me know what you ended up replacing or recommend based on these pics. I sent them to Epilog as well.

We are down to a single laser again...

Bruce Volden
03-13-2014, 2:45 PM
Well Mark,

I certainly hope the damage is less than what it appears. Looks like mostly smoke and some warpage. These are pretty "tuff" machines even 'tho the heart yet breaks when these things happen.

Bruce

David Somers
03-13-2014, 3:33 PM
St Marcus,

At this risk of being in poor taste.
Friday (3-14) is International Pi Day. The global celebration spectacular for the number pi.

In celebration of that, and in honor of your Legend, I dedicate this piku to you. ( a piku is like a haiku, but instead of being in the haiku form of 5 syllables, 7 syllables, then 5 syllables it is in the form of pi. 3 syllables, 1 syllable, then 4 syllables.)

epilog
now
cuts by firelight

Dave
PS...seriously....Can't offer any advice on replacing stuff, but my heart goes out to you and whoever ran to the bathroom, however briefly.

Scott Shepherd
03-13-2014, 3:55 PM
I suspect whoever went to the bathroom had to go back to clean out their pants when they were finished with seeing that.

Sorry for your fire :( That's tough to see.

Dave Sheldrake
03-13-2014, 4:33 PM
I wish I could say I've never seen that before but in general I see or hear about 1 every 2 weeks :(

cheers

Dave

Glen Monaghan
03-13-2014, 4:35 PM
Burning laser machines are not much fun, but pikus looked interesting so I gave it a try or 3 (point one four one five nine)... Ya hafta understand, it's based on math ;^)

Algebra
Trig
Geometry!

okay, now warmed up, let's go for the obvious stuff...

Happiness
is
warm apple pi(e)

c'mon, if you aren't smiling at least a little, you must be wondering

What happened
to
my funny bone?
Wait!
Could pikus extend
to infinity with extra lines?
Why, yes!
Just follow pi sequence,
successive digits
govern each line...

Oh, yes, I subtly ended that with an ellipsis, subconciously signalling an infinite series...

David Somers
03-13-2014, 4:40 PM
Very good Glen!! Thanks!

We have had a stressfull few weeks in many offices so I threw this out to them today just for giggles and grins. Folks have been having fun with them!! Hope it brought a little smile to your face Mark!!! Keep em coming folks, and don't forget to help Mark with ideas too if you can!! That was the point of the original post after all!!

Dave

Dan Wilhelm
03-13-2014, 9:56 PM
My day job is a forensic engineer. I currently have a Trotec Speedy 300 in the lab that caught fire. I've haven't gotten around to the investigation yet, but is there anything I should keep an eye out for that might have caused the fire? My gut reaction was that somebody did just what your employee did and got a flare-up while they weren't looking. But I can't be sure until I dig in a little.

Bill Cunningham
03-13-2014, 10:17 PM
If you check your business insurance, you may fine where there's smoke there's flames, and where there's flames there's insurance..