PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust on prescription eye glasses

Bryan Rocker
03-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Ok I am sure there are some real remedies here. My new pair of computer prescription eyeglasses work great, however, while cutting up some pine on the bandsaw when I finished my glasses had tons of minute sawdust particles on them. Yes I know dust collection on the machine my slow it down, however this machine was built in the 1940's early 50's......What do you do to reduce the amount of sawdust that collects on your glasses besides not wearing them ;0

Erik Loza
03-13-2014, 12:24 PM
No joke: I clean my glasses with computer monitor screen cleaner. Wash with hot detergent and water, dry with a clean cloth towel, spray lenses with monitor cleaner, buff with anti-static cloth.

A lot of the dust to me, seems to be attracted by static charge and the monitor cleaners leave a film which negates that charge. Just make sure to buff thoroughly after applying it or the lenses will stay hazy. It works for me.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Tom Walz
03-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Safety glasses over prescription.
Kind of a hassle but: 1. they offer more protection for the eyes because they cover the sides better and 2. they protect the expensive prescription glasses. My new glasses cost more than my first car.

Richard Coers
03-13-2014, 12:41 PM
I wear one of those thin plastic bags, that I get free from the dry cleaners, over my head. It does have printing all over it (some kind of instructions about wearing it over my head), and I don't seem to have the endurance I used to so work sessions are shorter, but the glasses are A-1!

Lee Schierer
03-13-2014, 1:10 PM
I clean my lenses with Zeiss lens cleaner. 284557 which has an antistatic component. I get mine at Gander Mountain.

In the shop, you can blow off the dust with compressed air, but be careful not to use too much pressure.

First I rinse them off under warm water, spray some lens cleaner on a lens, smear it around with a clean finger, repeat the process for each side of each lens and then rinse under warm water. My lenses have a teflon coating which makes the dust wash right off. What ever you do, do not rub the sawdust with a tissue. Paper is terribly abrasive to plastic lenses.

Loren Woirhaye
03-13-2014, 2:48 PM
The static charge makes sense to me. You can try wearing a baseball cap. Cooks sometimes do that because it prevents airborne oils from settling onto eyeglasses.

Rollie Kelly
03-13-2014, 3:04 PM
The baseball cap won't work if he is less than forty, they don't know how to wear one.:rolleyes:

Michael Mahan
03-13-2014, 3:16 PM
I wear one of those thin plastic bags, that I get free from the dry cleaners, over my head. It does have printing all over it (some kind of instructions about wearing it over my head), and I don't seem to have the endurance I used to so work sessions are shorter, but the glasses are A-1! do you notice that your face turns slightly blue as well ?? :p

johnny means
03-13-2014, 3:16 PM
I wear one of those thin plastic bags, that I get free from the dry cleaners, over my head. It does have printing all over it (some kind of instructions about wearing it over my head), and I don't seem to have the endurance I used to so work sessions are shorter, but the glasses are A-1!

Lol. You shopped this idea to Rockler yet?

Robert Parent
03-13-2014, 4:53 PM
I have prescription safety glasses with a side shield..... The best thing for cleaning is Dawn dishsoap, and warm water, blot dry. If you rub dry (as most people do) you will end up with small scratches which in a short time destroy the lense.

Robert

Paul Wunder
03-13-2014, 5:26 PM
After trying many eyeglass cleaners I now use a spray product called "Purosol" available from Amazon. It is antistatic and was originally developed for NASA and the military for their high end optics. Last bottle was $14 for four ounces, but it seems to last forever because not much is needed.

It is also recommended for all high end microscopes, cameras, and medical equipment.

matt swiderski
03-13-2014, 6:51 PM
What about using dryer sheets. I haven't tried, I don't wear prescription glasses, but I have heard that it works well.

Matt

Lee Schierer
03-13-2014, 8:31 PM
What about using dryer sheets. I haven't tried, I don't wear prescription glasses, but I have heard that it works well.

Matt

Dryer sheets work, but will scratch the plastic lenses over time. If you use the use them only after they come out of the dryer.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-13-2014, 8:58 PM
Isn't that what shirt tails are for??? Just don't rub hard, and it works without scratching. Well, sort of....

Phillip Gregory
03-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Ever thought about contact lenses? I used to wear glasses but they kept getting dirty, fogged, boogered up with sweat, rained on, etc. so I went to wearing contacts. Once I switched I kicked myself for not doing it sooner as they solved the problem.

If for some reason you can't wear contacts, consider over-the-glasses safety goggles. That's what I wore when I wore glasses and they worked okay-ish.

Keith Westfall
03-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Take your shop air and blow them off first, then clean.

Chris Parks
03-14-2014, 2:00 AM
Get rid of the glasses. The doctor implanted lenses in my eyes during cataract operations. I was extremely short sighted to the point of I could not walk out of my room in the morning as the door was a faint blur and when he offered to get rid of my glasses I had since I was very young I jumped at it. I now am 65 years old and do not need glasses for anything including reading. I used contacts prior to the ops for years and they are way better than glasses and if it is feasible I would recommend them to everyone who wears glasses. I feel for anyone who has to wear reading glasses, it is one of life's worst punishments.

Charles Lent
03-14-2014, 6:36 AM
I've used a discarded dryer softener sheet for years, both on the TV screen and on my glasses. In the shop I always blow my glasses off before the wipe with the dryer sheet and I have not experienced any problems with scratching from these sheets, but I never rub hard. The fabric softener in the sheet kills the static charges on the lenses so it isn't necessary to use it very often. I keep these sheets clean in a closed box until needed and use them only once. If the lenses get dirt on them that doesn't wipe off easily I usually clean them with Windex and a soft cloth, then use the dryer sheet on them to get rid of the static charges.

Charley.

Mark Blatter
03-14-2014, 1:11 PM
Couple of thoughts. Anti-static is the key to keeping the fine dust from building up.

When cleaning glasses, whether glass or plastic lenses, use a gentle and oil free soap or detergent (I always used dish wash soap in the past) with hot or warm water. When done, dry them with a clean 100% cotton towel. Cotton will not scratch and will dry without leaving any residue. I did that for many years when I wore glasses and could keep a pair scratch free for 5 - 6 years. In fact my optometrist was always surprised by how few scratches my glasses had when it came time to replace them.

Today I use safety only, but need to find some safety reading glasses. I know that Woodcraft sells them, but I haven't gotten out there to look at them yet.

glenn bradley
03-14-2014, 2:37 PM
Safety glasses over prescription.

As Tom said. Your computer glasses are actually more dangerous than no glasses (well except if you're like me and can't see squat without them I guess :o). What I mean is if impacted they will do more damage than if they were not there. I use prescription safety glasses as this assures I am wearing them whenever in the shop. If you don't want to go that route ALWAYS wear protection over your regular eye wear.

As to cleaning, I speak as the nearly 60 year old son of an optometrist who was in practice until just a few years ago; soap and water, dry with a clean lint-free cloth. No paper towels, no paper anything, no shirt tails, etc. I follow this advice most of the time :D.