PDA

View Full Version : My Shop - Very close call with a hemlock

Don Buck
03-13-2014, 9:37 AM
Came home from work yesterday evening fighting strong wind gusts and arrived home to find a 28" diameter hemlock that was shading my shop in the morning was now horizontal. Fortunately for my shop the wind pushed the tree away onto the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery. The tree which stood inside the cemetery property line just 5 feet from my shop did damage several headstones. I was temped to call the city of Lexington to inform them that a large tree just fell and at least 30 dead citizens were under the tree but I thought better of making such a call. I'm sure the solitude of the cemetery will be broken with the sounds of chain saws later today. As you can see in one of the photos Stonewall Jackson saw the whole event.
284540 284541

John McClanahan
03-13-2014, 9:48 AM
Came home from work yesterday evening fighting strong wind gusts and arrived home to find a 28" diameter hemlock that was shading my shop in the morning was now horizontal. Fortunately for my shop the wind pushed the tree away onto the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery. The tree which stood inside the cemetery property line just 5 feet from my shop did damage several headstones. I was temped to call the city of Lexington to inform them that a large tree just fell and at least 30 dead citizens were under the tree but I thought better of making such a call. I'm sure the solitude of the cemetery will be broken with the sounds of chain saws later today. As you can see in one of the photos Stonewall Jackson saw the whole event.
284540 284541

Looks like you live in a quiet neighborhood. :D Ever hear strange sounds in the night?:eek::D

John

Charles Wiggins
03-13-2014, 9:49 AM
I was temped to call the city of Lexington to inform them that a large tree just fell and at least 30 dead citizens were under the tree but I thought better of making such a call.

Were I there and it had occurred to me I am not sure that I would have be able to resist.

Glad you're shop is OK.

We had high winds here as well last night. When I got home my empty firewood rack was over on it's side up against the other one. The tarp I have bungeed across the top acted as a sail I guess.

We've had so much rain and wind the last couple of years I really did not expect to see many trees down today. I did have to move one small limb out of the road on the way in to work.

Erik Loza
03-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Whoa!.... What a lucky break.

Some years ago, we had an elm tree along the driveway start to "shed major limbs" any time there was a wind storm. Not big enough to damage the roof or deck but definitely big enough to damage one of our cars if it had landed on one. One night, "Crash!". I thought for sure that a branch had hit my car but missed narrowly....

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/Big-assbranch-2.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/Big-assbranch-1.jpg

After that, I had the tree company come out and take it down. Too much risk. Glad your shop was OK.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Val Kosmider
03-13-2014, 2:40 PM
Now the ultimate question....did anyone hear it?

william biba
03-13-2014, 2:57 PM
Last year in hurricane sandy we lost 14 trees mostly large red oaks. I have 4.5 acres with three houses a garage and three sheds the only damage was a 20" oak came down to rest on a shed just enough to bend the ridge board down about 3 inches. when i cut it off it returned to normal. Great year for free firewood.

william biba
03-13-2014, 2:59 PM
Ohh and yes we heard everyone come down!!

Jim Matthews
03-13-2014, 5:19 PM
Now the ultimate question....did anyone hear it?

Yeah - but those people "tell no tales".

Leigh Betsch
03-13-2014, 9:44 PM
Jeez Don. Haul that thing to the mill and saw off a couple of chunks! I'm envious of you easterners with access to nice wood. Next time I come that way I'm gonna haul back a trailer load. Glad it missed your shop.

Bill Edwards(2)
03-17-2014, 12:56 PM
284540 284541

Surprised you didn't have a note on your shop door:

qUIt cuttINg up MY friEnDs oR NExt time We go AfTer LivE oNEs