PDA

View Full Version : Grease for mortiser column

Craig Richmond
03-13-2014, 8:33 AM
Quick question, what do you guys use for grease or oil on your Mortise column?

Chris Fournier
03-13-2014, 8:51 AM
I avoid the use of grease on woodworking machines whenever possible, I prefer a dry film lubricant in most situations. I really like spray graphite, it leaves a black film so beware. the nice thing about the black film is that you can see wear and reapply as necessary. Next best is the spray teflon. You can get these products at NAPA and the box building stores.

Spray your equipment and then let the film dry thoroughly before using. Table saw trunnions and bandsaw tensioning screws love the graphite film!

Craig Richmond
03-13-2014, 9:09 AM
Chris, Does that still protect from surface rust?

Charles Coolidge
03-13-2014, 10:38 AM
I use Mobil Vactra #2 way oil ISO 68 which is designed for ways, milling machines, metal lathes, any tool with sliding box or dovetail ways. You need an oil for those loads a dry lube isn't going to cut it.

Craig Richmond
03-13-2014, 2:39 PM
I was thinking a light grease. I know this would pick up saw dust and such but would allow the mortise to travel up and down the column with ease. I would think a dry lube would wear off with little movement.

Chris Fournier
03-14-2014, 7:56 AM
I use Vactra 2 in the machine shop but on this application you would have a giant mess in no time and you have no precise or metered way of applying it as you do on lathes, mills and grinders. You may have to apply dry lube a bit more often but I would try it before I dismissed it. Perhaps I,'m missing the boat on this one.

Craig Richmond
03-14-2014, 8:11 AM
I will start with the dry lube first and then go from there. Thanks for the thoughts.:)

Charles Coolidge
03-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Chris its a mortiser you apply a few drops maybe once a month lol. I use it on my mortiser there's no mess at all, ditto for my RAS and drill press.

Joe Scharle
03-14-2014, 1:36 PM
I use a little 3 n 1 oil. I keep my mortiser covered with a plastic bag when not in use, too.

Loren Woirhaye
03-14-2014, 7:49 PM
If you have chainsaw bar oil, that will work. It stays put pretty well. Allegedly it is the same as "way lube" used on metalworking machines.

That said, I've never thought about lubing my mortiser. I bought it used and never noticed any difficulty with the plunge so I haven't thought about lubricating it. If I were doing it on a machine that didn't want to slide, I'd try paste wax first. Since Paste wax dries non-sticky, it doesn't pick up sawdust the way grease in a wood shop will.