PDA

View Full Version : Finally took the plunge and got a laser

charles hastings
03-12-2014, 6:58 PM
Been lurking in here for a while learning what I could about all things laser. I wanted a unit for engraving some firearms and stocks. Not a real job, just playing / hobby stuff. I do refinish firearms (Cerakote) and might do a little custom engraving. Anyway, I found a deal on a factory trade-in (lightly used) unit that was less than a year old that seem like a good deal for my purpose. Unit has same warranty as a new one. Guys and gal at Boss Laser have been very helpful and unit was well packed and arrived undamaged. Now.......... what do I do? Engrave something? Setup won't happen till Friday.

Bert Kemp
03-12-2014, 8:51 PM
Hey Charles congrats on your new laser, now lets see some cool stuff from you.

Dee Gallo
03-12-2014, 8:57 PM
Congratulations, Charles - Now start collecting stuff to burn! And get a notebook to keep track of your settings, because after a while you'll have too many to remember. Have fun!

cheers, dee

Mike Null
03-12-2014, 9:24 PM
Charles

Glad to have you on board. I have some experience with Cerakote and it engraves very nicely. Contrast is better on some colors than others.

Bert Kemp
03-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Congratulations, Charles - Now start collecting stuff to burn! And get a notebook to keep track of your settings, because after a while you'll have too many to remember. Have fun!

cheers, dee

s, Dee says get
I don't know what everybody does to remember all those settings Dee says get a note book.I save the settings in the file name, then I don't even have to look it up. I bring up a file and the settings are right there. Example: File Name-spd 40-pwr 100-BW165-HD(hard dither) Works for me.:)

charles hastings
03-13-2014, 3:06 PM
Charles

Glad to have you on board. I have some experience with Cerakote and it engraves very nicely. Contrast is better on some colors than others.

Thanks all.

Mike, what colors are the best & worst? I do tons of midnight blue & graphite black. My next would be Mag-pul dark earth. Pink on a few.

One other question for those that know. I have gun smith the need his new barrels engraved with the cal. he make it and I was hoping I can burn that like it was flat instead of round. The marking will be rather small, maybe an 1/8 in. or so. Is this an issue? Thanks folks for the welcome and hope you all won't get too fed up with my questions. I do search for the answers first.

Bill George
03-23-2014, 1:00 PM
Thanks all.

Mike, what colors are the best & worst? I do tons of midnight blue & graphite black. My next would be Mag-pul dark earth. Pink on a few.

One other question for those that know. I have gun smith the need his new barrels engraved with the cal. he make it and I was hoping I can burn that like it was flat instead of round. The marking will be rather small, maybe an 1/8 in. or so. Is this an issue? Thanks folks for the welcome and hope you all won't get too fed up with my questions. I do search for the answers first.

Also considering the Boss Laser the smaller 40 watt model I think it is the LS1416 one. Does yours work ok and do the material pass thru doors really allow longer pieces to be engraved, with supports at each end of course. Kind of like the in and out feed tables on sander or plainer.

Mike Null
03-24-2014, 6:16 AM
The darker colors provide the best contrast Ask them for a swatch set and you can test all the colors.