PDA

View Full Version : Parted with Sandpaper Money

Ken Salisbury
05-20-2003, 4:43 PM
I went to Terry Hatfields BBQ last October where mysteriously, the end of a roll of 3M gold 340 grit sandpaper found it's way home in my toolbox. It was not a deliberate act of thievery :).

Ever since using some of Terry's sandpaper on some pens, a bowl and some other stuff while I was at Terry's I decided when it was sandpaper buying time again I would find some here locally.

The stuff just out performs the big box sandpaper --- there is no comparison - at least in my opinion.

So today I went to 1 of 3 local automobile paint suppliers and found it. Purchased 3 rolls (100, 150, 220 grit). Still have some of Terry's 340 left :) (after a lot of pens by the way).

A little on the expensive side ($30/roll) - but the way it performs -- I figure it is worth it. Rolls were 2 ½" x 45 yards.
<p align="center"> "Try it --- you'll like it"</p>

Scott Coffelt
05-20-2003, 5:26 PM
So it sounds to me that you owe Terry a roll of 340???? I'll make sure I lock mine up when you visit.... Oh wiat a second, now that I think about it... I am missing some 100, 150 and 220. Were you in my shop with that tool box?

Bob Oswin
05-20-2003, 7:49 PM
A little on the expensive side ($30/roll) - but the way it performs -- I figure it is worth it. Rolls were 2 ½" x 45 yards.
<p align="center"> "Try it --- you'll like it"</p> [/B][/QUOTE]

I want you to try some Astro dot sometime.
Wears like iron, cuts like diamond.
http://www.woodchuckers.com/sub_catagory_1.htm#sanding
You'll be pleased.
There is a reseller in the U.S, as well.
Bob

Terry Hatfield
05-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Ken,

Do you need my address so you can send my sandpaper to me???:D :D :D

Hey, 3M gold is hard to beat....of course it helps if you get the body shop discount like I do. It takes a mighty long time to use up 135 feet of sand paper. Perhaps you should leave it to me in your will just in case.

t

Mark Kauder
05-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Ken,
If you want another good deal on sandpaper, try

http://www.industrialabrasives.com

Click on Shop now, then Hook and Loop Sheets, then Rynogrip Sandpaper sheets.

You can get a 1 meter by 1 yard sheet of Hook and Loop (60 to 600 grit) for $15.75

This sticks better than any I have used, and the abrasive lasts a long time and does not load badly. I use it now for my 2" and 3" bowl sanding disks (you can get 342 2" disks out of a sheet), but you can cut it for any H&L size you need.

Mark

Mac McAtee
05-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Mark,
How do you cut the crcles out of it?

Mark Kauder
05-21-2003, 3:19 PM
Scissors work fine on it, however, since I was using expensive wavey edged 2" disks in the past, and after discussing it with other turners over on WoodCentral, I decided to just cut out 2" squares and leve the corners on. They work just great.

I was cutting the large sheets into 2" strips with a sheetrock knife, and then crosswise into squares with scissors but that is hard on my hands and the blades. So.... I decided to use my bandsaw and an aready worn out BS 3/8" 4 tpi blade. Cuts slick as can be. I cut the strips, and then stack the strips and crosscut the squares. I cut with abrasive side up, the H&L fabric moves smoothly over the BS table. By putting a 2" reference mark on the BS table, I do not have to mark the abrasive sheets.

I normally only cut about 60 disk at a time, leaving the rest of the abrasive available for other needs, like for my larger ROS.

Mark

Mac McAtee
05-22-2003, 10:38 AM
You recken my wife will loan me her pinking shearers for this, they would make a great wavy edge.

Bob Janka
05-22-2003, 1:52 PM
Mac,

NO, she will NOT loan you her pinking shears! 8-)

Yes, she might go into the sewing store and buy a pair for you while you wait in the car with a disguise. ;-)

(You have to give her some money for this... )

Cheers,
Bob