PDA

View Full Version : wedge for double iron--issue

Steve Voigt
03-12-2014, 6:50 PM
Hi all,
I need to make a wedge for the type of iron that has square nut welded to the top of the chipbreaker. So, the bottom of the wedge needs to have a slot or mortise. The only images I have seen for this type of wedge look like this:

I'm not in love with this design, and am wondering if this is how it was always done. I think I might prefer to make a blind pocket, and I have room to do this, since the square nut is almost 3 inches from the cutting edge (this is a big iron).
But, if it was never done this way, there's probably a good reason. Anybody have, or seen, alternative ways of accommodating the nut?

Jeff Heath
03-12-2014, 7:51 PM
Steve

I've only made them the same way as shown, aka the traditional manner. You could always slot it, as you suggest, but I don't know how different it will be. You'll probably expose half of it in the ramp, or risk clogging with chips without the ramp. Post photo's of what you come up with, as I'm curious. Don't worry, I won't copy it. I only use new irons with a center threaded cap iron.

:)

David Weaver
03-12-2014, 7:59 PM
Just my opinion, but I'd stick with that design, it has maximum clearance but still supports the iron all the way down.

Steve Voigt
03-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Thank you both for the input. I'll make it like the diagram I posted.