PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut?

Cody Kemble
03-12-2014, 3:41 PM
I got some diamond paste for sharpening. I have some cast iron infeed/outfeed tables from an old tabletop jointer laying around in my shop and was planning on using those for the paste. They measure about 6" X 14" and are pretty flat now. I imaginge I could make at least 2 plates out of each but was wondering how much they would warp and how difficult it would be to cut them? Is it possible/advisable to use two different grits on one plate? Any ideas/suggestions?

Jim Koepke
03-12-2014, 4:14 PM
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will respond.

My first thought would be to consider a wall of square stock to separate the surface into two ~3" X 14" areas for the two grits.

My other thought is to just have two big surfaces for working steel.

jtk

David Weaver
03-12-2014, 4:19 PM
How good is the surface finish on those plates? If it's very coarse with big mill marks, I'd leave them alone and find an old junk plane to lap instead. If they are good quality with a fine surface or at least very small mill marks, then it might be worth trying.

I had a delta jointer that I was going to take apart but in the end I was too lazy and I put it out for the junk man. It was one of those fixed table designs.

David M Anderson
03-12-2014, 8:31 PM
I had a delta jointer that I was going to take apart but in the end I was too lazy and I put it out for the junk man. It was one of those fixed table designs.
Got anymore stuff you throwing away..?

Cody Kemble
03-13-2014, 11:41 AM
The surface is smooth. I just don't want to go through the trouble of cutting it if it will likely dish and then take forever to flatten again. I have no experience cutting metal like this.

Jim Matthews
03-13-2014, 5:36 PM
If it's flat, and the grit won't migrate - why make more work?

Layout your lands with a Sharpie or a little tape and have at it.
If you clean the steel between grits, there will be little cross-contamination.

Go with the simplest solution, before complicating things.

The only thing I have against this is that you will be forced to lap backs of chisels from the "Top" or "Bottom" edges to keep the handles clear.