PDA

View Full Version : Another Sawstop question

Mike P Turner
03-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Hello:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new table saw. Sawstop is my preference. This will be my last table saw so I expect to have it for 20+ years. I see 20+ year old Rockwell, Delta, Powermatic, etc. saws on Craigslist that are still running well. However, these saws don't have any electronics to worry about. In the years to come, will Sawstop come out with firmware updates and will they be retrofitted back to older saws? The last thing I want is to be stuck with a Sawstop V1 table saw that has outdated electronics. Worse than that is having an outdated saw that Sawstop no longer supports.

I realize we don't have an answer to these questions but I thought I'd put it out there for discussion purposes.
Thanks.

Joshua Richards
03-12-2014, 10:30 AM
There's really no way of knowing this from a manufacturing perspective, as all companies are not created equal. Even long term manufacturers like PM are inconsistent, as the PM we buy today out of Taiwan bears no resemblance to the PM of yesteryear. In many cases, companies like to use the cease of support for older machines as a tool to steer individuals into purchasing the newest and latest products. The tech industry (I"M LOOKING AT YOU CISCO) is notorious for this. As Sawstop is a hybrid of tech + manufacture in their products, it's something to consider. Hell, even Keurig is heading towards a system forcing users to buy their approved pods.

I'm rambling. I love the sawstop for it's ability to keep my fingers attached. But long term, is the juice worth the squeeze? I'm betting my 94 model SCMI will be running long after any Sawstop of recently manufactured Grizzly/PM/Jet has long since eaten it.

Jerome Stanek
03-12-2014, 10:36 AM
If the electronics go out and there are no parts you would just have a nice cabinet saw. Sort of like a UNI or PM are now.

Mark Andrew
03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
You'd need to butcher it somewhat to directly drive the motor from the switch and cut out the electrickery.

As for firmware updates, I'm not sure how those would be applied, I can't see any method of "communicating" with the electronics. I'm happy with mine anyway. A nicer saw than the PM66 it replaced.

Keith Hankins
03-12-2014, 11:23 AM
My ICS is supposed to arrive on Friday. You can call and talk to them. You thought process was the same as mine, but at the end of the day you have to go with your gut. You want the safety, you want the quality, thats why you are where you are at. I looked for a used one for over a year before giving up and finally biting the bullet and deciding I was going to have it. Not heard any buyer's remorse on them so I doubt you will either. BTW if you are buying now they have the free attachment deal going. Sadly, you get no deals or promo's on the ICS. Like you said it's your forever saw get what you want!