PDA

View Full Version : Cool way to hold work down

maximillian arango
03-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Saw this video today and was wondering how functional this really is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P67hyO2cAfo

Richard Krushner
03-12-2014, 1:56 AM
Maybe I am missing something, but can you not do all of the same with a clamp and a vice?

Nicely made

george wilson
03-12-2014, 8:58 AM
There are several jigs that usually work with wedges for holding work. But,if your wood is thinner than the cams you have to find another way to hold it.

Being a musical instrument maker,I was always making up ways to hold stock less than 1/8" thick. Sometimes nothing more than a couple of small nails driven nearly all the way in at an angle to a board. The edges of the barely protruding nail heads would bite into the wood so I could plane it extra thin. Of course,you can't take heavy cuts.

In the 18th. C.,they just used double sided Gorilla duct tape under their wood. Later on,they got cheap,and today we only have single sided Gorilla duct tape.

Also,3M sand paper was only 2M back that. At least,that's what I used to tell the tourists.

Joel Thomas Runyan
03-12-2014, 12:50 PM
In the 18th. C.,they just used double sided Gorilla duct tape under their wood.

Hah! I remember attempting to plane down my first set of mandolin ribs with double sided tape from harbor freight.

maximillian arango
03-12-2014, 7:35 PM
Maybe I am missing something, but can you not do all of the same with a clamp and a vice?

Nicely made

Very true but I think this would be a good idea to just use with dog holes. I just was looking for an idea to hold down wood on a saw horse so I'm gonna put dog holes in may saw horses.

Larry Frank
03-12-2014, 8:20 PM
I like the idea and maybe will try it. Thanks

Maurice Ungaro
03-13-2014, 10:20 AM
How about just planing stop?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-13-2014, 1:36 PM
Maurice is right about just using a planing stop for the tasks pictured in the video.

It seems an odd thing to use on basically a flat, rough board, the kind of thing there are a dozen ways to hold it. But it might be a nice sort of thing for holding awkward shaped pieces. I'd be tempted to just mount it directly in the benchtop, rather than a sub-base for work of the thickness he's doing. Part of me thinks this combined with a cradle might be helpful the times I've had to do heavier work on a guitar neck after tapering it and shaping the headstock because I wasn't thinking about order of operations . . .

Richard Krushner
03-13-2014, 5:22 PM
Very true but I think this would be a good idea to just use with dog holes. I just was looking for an idea to hold down wood on a saw horse so I'm gonna put dog holes in may saw horses.

Why not have a clamp and dog holes?

http://www.timberframe-tools.com/tools/new-fangled-saw-bench/

Frank Bizley
03-13-2014, 5:44 PM
What a great cheap clamping system.

Frank.

maximillian arango
03-13-2014, 5:45 PM
Why not have a clamp and dog holes?

http://www.timberframe-tools.com/tools/new-fangled-saw-bench/

I used claps for sawing but if you cover up part of a surface while planing couldn't I run the risk of planing unevenly? I might be over thinking it, I'm just trying to keep stock from moving around on a saw horse while I try to gain skill.

Frederick Skelly
03-13-2014, 6:52 PM
Thanks for posting this Max! It might help me downstream. Ill book mark this thread for possible future use.

Hey George? I cant remember, when it was just "2M", was it Minnesota Mining, or Minnesota Manufacturing? ;)

Fred

Leigh Betsch
03-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Also,3M sand paper was only 2M back that. At least,that's what I used to tell the tourists.

I work for 3M. We call it Meeting, Meeting, and Meeting. Maybe back then it was just Meeting and Meeting.