PDA

View Full Version : Anyone participating in the crowdsourced search for MH370?

Shawn Pixley
03-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Anyone hear part of the crowdsourced search for the missing plane?

LOML & I are truing to help. It is very slow work looking at 1/4 mi squared sections. The clouds obscure a lot.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Is it satellite imagery or something else, curious how they got pics so quick?

Shawn Pixley
03-12-2014, 1:04 AM
Satellite imagery viewed in 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile sections. Lots of clouds in the section we are looking at. The photos are from 3/9/2014 2:59 AM. Unclear if that is UTC or ????

Myk Rian
03-12-2014, 9:23 AM
How about a link to get started?

Shawn Pixley
03-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Try tomnod.com

Alexandra Wallace
03-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks Shawn..http://watchfree.me/11/w.png

Chris Parks
03-15-2014, 7:09 AM
Someone may be able to answer a question I have, why don't planes have live GPS tracking on them? If the plane concerned had live tracking they would have found it very quickly I would think. Even if the tracking had ceased due to major damage to the aircraft as in a bomb etc the last point of contact could be seen or is that too simplistic. Rolls Royce pull live data off the turbines every 30 minutes so it must be possible.

Chuck Wintle
03-15-2014, 7:50 AM
Someone may be able to answer a question I have, why don't planes have live GPS tracking on them? If the plane concerned had live tracking they would have found it very quickly I would think. Even if the tracking had ceased due to major damage to the aircraft as in a bomb etc the last point of contact could be seen or is that too simplistic. Rolls Royce pull live data off the turbines every 30 minutes so it must be possible.
i thought they all had live gps tracking with the transponder?

Chris Parks
03-15-2014, 8:06 AM
If they did then surely the GPS signal would indicate where the problems began or where it crashed as GPS will monitor altitude or it does on my racing car and that does not have wings.

Julie Moriarty
03-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Look in Russia. Putin grabbed it so his Crimea invasion would be taken off the top news spot. :rolleyes:

John McClanahan
03-15-2014, 10:23 AM

My understanding from the news is that planes do have the equipment, but the airline did not buy the service that made it work. The plane's transponder was working and a satellite was receiving the signal, but that's as far as it went. I believe only one satellite was receiving the signal, so there was no triangulation to work from.

John

Larry Edgerton
03-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Look in Russia. Putin grabbed it so his Crimea invasion would be taken off the top news spot. :rolleyes:

Worked too........

Leigh Betsch
03-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Aliens. Look up not down!

Myk Rian
03-15-2014, 1:16 PM
Aliens. Look up not down!
No. Look down. The Aliens are on the ocean floors.

Leigh Betsch
03-15-2014, 4:42 PM
No. Look down. The Aliens are on the ocean floors.
Maybe an application for Larry's big magnet.

Randy Henry
03-15-2014, 5:41 PM
I hope the Chinese satellites were made somewhere else...and not next to the Harbor Freight factory, or they may be looking a long time.

Bill Cunningham
03-15-2014, 5:47 PM
I wonder how many of the passengers had cellphones that were not turned off. If their on the ground someplace, anywhere near a cell tower many of these could be 'pinged' .. I'll bet there were over 200 cellphones on that aircraft! Pinging by satellite could also be a possibility ?