PDA

View Full Version : Selling Software

Anthony Scira
03-11-2014, 4:51 PM
Hey guys. It has been awhile. Anyways I am trying to pinch pennies to save toward a CNC. I wanted to know the legalities of selling software I no longer use. If I sell them will the person buying them be able to use it ? Or since it is registered to me am I the only one able to use it. Have not used the stuff in a long time and it is not even on the computer anymore. Come to think of it I will have to hunt down the disc for one I was only able to find the manual.

David Somers
03-11-2014, 5:20 PM
Anthony,

It depends on the software company. Some provide software with the device. They are bundled and in theory should be sold together since the software was heavily discounted for the bundle. Others allow you to sell the software provided you uninstall or reregister it with them, typically on a phone call with their tech support. And still others say no. I would give the manufacturer/tech support a call, or if you find the packaging look on it for info.

Dave

Dan Hintz
03-11-2014, 8:42 PM
The legality of it has been bounced back and forth in the courts over the years. AutoDesk (makers of AutoCAD) was a big opponent to allowing software to be resold (even if it was never used), and precedence usually revolves around a big case of theirs against a guy trying to unload 2 copies that he rightfully owned. Currently, AutoDesk is getting their way.

That said, if the EULA doesn't specifically prohibit it, you have a good chance at it being acceptable (or at least the company can't claim it's not allowed after the fact).

Mike Null
03-12-2014, 6:14 AM
It doesn't make it legal but I have seen used software advertised on more than one site. I have considered offering mine (older versions of Corel) and would be inclined to go ahead if and when I decide.

Anthony Scira
03-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys. The only reason I am selling the software is I really don't use it anymore. I have definitely gone in a different direction with the laser.