PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel by the Plaster-of-Paris method

Michael Hunter
03-11-2014, 4:15 PM
This is my first big job using the Plaster-of-Paris method - who needs a fibre laser?!

Not only does the method provide good contrast, but the marking has bitten into the metal surface - you can **feel** the lines.

The protractor piece is about 15" square, the sizes under "tube diameter" just 0.064" high.
All lines and text are vectored.

gary l roberts
03-11-2014, 4:21 PM
I'll bite, "what the Plaster of Pairs method"?

David Somers
03-11-2014, 4:27 PM
Gary,

It is a thin mix of PoP applied with a brush evenly. Has the consistency of something between milk and cream. Then engrave it.

Do a search on Plaster of Paris. There will be a thread about 5 or 6 down from this one that shows up and has a discussion and details. That is how I know it by the way. I read Michael's post and said "huh?" and hopped on search to look it up. It was tried as a replacement for Cermak by Rodney down in South Africa when he could no longer get Cermak locally.

Dave

Dee Gallo
03-11-2014, 4:33 PM
Impressive results, Michael! It's always good to have extra arrows in your quiver, thanks for sharing!

Dan Hintz
03-11-2014, 8:38 PM
If memory serves, it wasn't Rodney who tried it first but some other gent... I don't recall his name, but I don't believe he has posted for quite a while (or posts very much). I'll see if I can dig up the original thread on it.

Dan Hintz
03-11-2014, 9:10 PM
Ah, here's the post I was thinking of...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?126312-Engraving-on-metal-compound-20-for-one-year&highlight=plaster+paris

Though a couple more exist discussing other, similar methods with different (cheaper than CerMark) marking compounds.

Keith Winter
03-11-2014, 9:31 PM
This is my first big job using the Plaster-of-Paris method - who needs a fibre laser?!

Not only does the method provide good contrast, but the marking has bitten into the metal surface - you can **feel** the lines.

The protractor piece is about 15" square, the sizes under "tube diameter" just 0.064" high.
All lines and text are vectored.

Very cool, thanks for sharing!