PDA

View Full Version : Screws without points?

steven c newman
03-11-2014, 3:15 PM
On a Plow Plane I am trying to refurb, the two screws that have come out are both with out any points.

Although the earliest date(so far) on this plane might be around 1860, what date did the pointed screws come into favour?

284365These look like at least a #10 screw. The one in the middle is almost brand new ( just for size, not going to use it) Seems even the threads are different.284367So, someone being frugal in reusing old screws? Or, is this plane a little bit older?

Will try to clean them up, and re-install them.

Jim Koepke
03-11-2014, 3:27 PM
Steven,

Your images might benefit from using a tripod or some other way to stabilize your camera when taking pictures.

This might help:

http://www.wag-aic.org/Am_Wood_Screws.pdf

What I was hoping to be able to see if your screws are machine made or hand made.

That would be one possible determining factor.

Though back in the 19th century there were likely Neanders who wouldn't use "store bought" screws if they didn't have to. Of course they would not be making planes in production numbers either.

jtk

Sean Hughto
03-11-2014, 3:40 PM
These may just be filed. For example, if I have a 1 1/2 inch screw, but need only 1 3/8ths lest I break through the other side, I'll just file it shorter before I drive it into the pre-drilled hole.

steven c newman
03-11-2014, 4:29 PM
Unlike the "new" screw, the two older ones have no taper to them. The threaded part is a bit smaller than the shank, though. Still, there isn't any taper towards the end, just a straight threaded rod. Shanks are a bit rusty, can't see any markings on them. 284378 Have not tripod to add to the camera,sorry...

Marko Milisavljevic
03-11-2014, 5:33 PM
Still, there isn't any taper towards the end, just a straight threaded rod.

That would seem consistent with the idea that screws were made perhaps using this method (http://www.google.com/patents/US4704) and someone cut tapered portion off.

Jim Koepke
03-11-2014, 6:00 PM
These may just be filed. For example, if I have a 1 1/2 inch screw, but need only 1 3/8ths lest I break through the other side, I'll just file it shorter before I drive it into the pre-drilled hole.

I did that last night to attach a front to a drawer. That requires pr-drilling where a "gimlet point" screw in theory can be driven without a pilot hole.

Have not tripod to add to the camera,sorry...

Often just bracing the camera against something solid helps.

I have even used my walking stick (a broken tree branch) as a monopod.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
03-11-2014, 7:43 PM
Factory produced non-pointed screws didn't last much past the patent for the pointed version which came in 1845 so if it was originally non-pointed then 1846 or prior.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-12-2014, 6:08 PM
Often just bracing the camera against something solid helps.

I have even used my walking stick (a broken tree branch) as a monopod.

I've used this method for years when I was too cheap to buy a tripod. Luckily, I got nice one when I married (came with the wife - a bargain at any price!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af3aJ2kviJ4

john davey
03-12-2014, 9:47 PM
Darned if I can't remember but Roy mentions the date of pointed screws in a few of his shows..... I subscribe to the pop wood video thing for Roy's show so I'll see if I can find it... John.