PDA

View Full Version : Glue question...I know it's not rocket science

aurelio alarcon
06-20-2005, 2:59 AM
I use yellow glue for most of my projects. But recently my sister gave me a gallon of common white glue (elmers). Will this glue be ok on projects intended for interior use?

Todd Burch
06-20-2005, 7:37 AM
Yes. I use white glue when I need a lot of setup time - usually for complicated glue-ups.

Remember you can always test the glue yourself. Glue up 4 blocks of wood - 2 with white and 2 with yellow. After 24 hours, get a chisel and see what happens.

Todd

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-20-2005, 11:50 AM
We use white glue in the schools, that I taught in, for a long time, until yellow glue was introduced.
The only suggestion that we made to our students that that they apply the glue to both surfaces, twice.
Because it tended to be sucked into the wood fibers, being thinner that the yellow glue, hence the second application.

aurelio alarcon
06-20-2005, 3:21 PM
Thanks Todd and Daniel. I'll feel safe when using this glue. And I'll make sure that I apply the glue to both surfaces. I never thought of doing such a test. Something to definetly keep in mind for the future.

Richard Wolf
06-20-2005, 3:25 PM
As a mater of fact, Frank Klauz recomends white to yellow glue.

Richard

Steve Rowe
06-20-2005, 7:00 PM
I use white glue over yellow glue all the time. They are both PVAs and the primary difference is an additive to the yellow glue so that it will hold better on woods with high moisture content (i.e. - construction type materials). Since I use dryed wood, this isn't an issue. It also has the advantage of drying clear instead of yellow.Steve

aurelio alarcon
06-21-2005, 1:31 AM
Thanks a lot Steve and Richard. This, too, is very good to know. I will definetly be putting this glue to work.