PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving on enamel

Keith Winter
03-11-2014, 12:27 PM
We're wanting to engrave some tap handles kind of like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pub-Style-Beer-Tap-Handle/dp/B0017RQORS/ref=pd_sim_k_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TFD96EQD83ZRE3T6PP1

They have a really hard enamel on the outside of them though. Before we run them I thought I'd ask you pros. Are these safe to engrave on or will the enamel/lacquer hurt our laser? Like polycarbonate or pvc would?

Second question, what would you use to fill the engraving. Old rub and buff or something else? Worried about rub and buff being too thick and falling out...

Dan Hintz
03-11-2014, 3:18 PM
The enamel should be fine. I'd color fill with paint... a 3" wide piece of painter's tape would wrap the entire piece. Laser through, paint, and peel.

Keith Winter
03-11-2014, 9:41 PM
Brilliant idea dan! Burned one to see what it looked like tonight. Looked great but was giving off a white powder as I went through the top. I'm guessing the primer.... Any issue to be concerned with on that or business as normal?

Dan Hintz
03-12-2014, 5:49 AM
The handles are wood, which means there's not a whole lot of choices for painting them, none of which I'm aware of that would be harmful to the machine. I'd have to inspect the powder to be sure, though. I think you're safe.