PDA

View Full Version : Griz 19" bandsaw opinion

Jon Prouty
03-11-2014, 10:08 AM
G0514XF 19" 3 HP Extreme-Series® Bandsaw with Foot Brake

I'm looking to upgrade my 14" Jet bandsaw with riser block. I'm primarily a turner so processing logs (wet to dry, mesquite usually) into blanks is my primary need. I want more power, a large table and obviously more size than I am getting out of my current saw. I have little interest in resaw capacity as I don't do much flat work. The little that I do is usually shop jigs or smallish things like shelves and soon to come a French cleat system for organizing my turning stuff. I have a tool addiction so best bang for the buck is my goal for this hobby. I don't have a tablesaw as I don't want to give up the real estate in the shop and flatwork is a whole other vortex to fly into. This saw would be my primary processing machine (besides jointer, planet and router).

Knowing my needs and my budget is stretched at this $1500, is this Griz saw the one I should be considering? I know I am not getting cast iron trunions but I am not sawing long logs (3 feet max typically) so I figure the stock ones should be okay for now. I've been waiting on Rikon to put their 18" saw back on that crazy $1050 sale but it is not going to happen until after June at the earliest (been pinging everyone I can to get an idea of when next promo will be).

With this current 10% off coupon I have for Grizz I figure now is the time to strike.

I've read as much as I can find on this saw but there is not a lot written on it compared to the 17" version. Tim Allen disease of "more power" is my ailment.

Thanks all for your wisdom.

Jon

Prashun Patel
03-11-2014, 10:31 AM
I was in your boat a year ago. I owned a G0555 and upgraded to the G0514x2. I am also a turner who taxes the saw and blade by cutting thick, heavy, green log blanks.

It's a wonderful saw.

The mass and size of the table is fantastic, especially when muscling 30 pound blanks on it.
The tilt mechanism is also extremely robust, which means if you ever need to cut something heavy with a bevel, it won't be a problem.

The other thing a lot of people fail to mention about cutting green wood, is that it does a number on the bearings. I find the G0514x stock bearings and assembly fairly robust. They do not readily gum up as they did on my G0555. The assembly also stays locked down better, so the guides stay aligned more precisely. This may be a function of better parts, or just less vibration. Either way, I don't have to mess with the alignment often.

The tensioning mechanism is good too. It's much more ergonomic to tension from the bottom with a big wheel vs a top star knob.

I also like the resaw fence. It's hefty, cast iron with a removable track that can be placed on end for resawing, or flat for lower profile work.

A nice feature is that the doors lift off during blade changes. This is helpful if you are in a tight space and cannot open the doors 180 degrees to swing clear of the blade path on the up-travel side.

Embarrassingly, I don't baby or maintain my saws very well, and I can say this has still operates very well.
pp

Ralph Butts
03-11-2014, 1:54 PM
Luckily I have not experienced the issues Richard has had. That being said I have a G0514X2 Extreme and I feel that I got a good machine at a good price. I have had no mechanical issues. If I had your budget and a 10% coupon to boot I would be comfortable with making the purchase and yes I would buy one again.

Charles Coolidge
03-11-2014, 4:24 PM
I'm quite happy with my G0514X2B, recommend you step up to the G0514X2 you will get a cast iron trunnion vs steel and the rack and pinion table tilt vs manual. The table is massive the rack and pinion will be nice. The next step up to my saw and you get an electronic motor brake and the deluxe fence found on the more expensive band saws.

Rich Riddle
03-11-2014, 7:28 PM
If I ever want a "medium" sized band saw, that G0514X2 will be the one. I have used it in the showroom and nearly purchased it last year when a used Agazzani 24" became available for less money. The editor at Fine Woodworking kept that bandsaw after reviewing mid-sized models. Roland Johnson said none of the others even came close when talking to him at the Woodworking Show.

Charles Coolidge
03-11-2014, 7:46 PM
Agazzani sure if you want to resaw that tree they lived in in Avatar.

Jon Prouty
03-12-2014, 4:39 PM
thanks all for the advice - now I am looking more seriously at the x2. Darn budget creep!

Jon

Jon Prouty
03-15-2014, 1:46 PM
Sold my 14" Jet this morning (less than an hour after posting it on CL)... Gonna place an order for one of the 19" Grizzly saws. Still vascillating on which one. Decisions decisions...
Jon

Charles Coolidge
03-15-2014, 3:38 PM
G0514X2B do it...yes I'm an instigator! :D

The more deluxe fence you get with this model vs the X2

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/b9.jpg

Shot of the underside of the table

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/b10.jpg

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/b27.jpg

Rich Riddle
03-15-2014, 3:39 PM
I meant Roland Johnson indicated the Grizzly G0514X2 with the footbrake was the best saw in the category. Guess that sentence needed a qualifier. I am trying to figure out how to explain to the wife the need for another bandsaw. If so, it will be the Grizzly G0514X2. Better not push it though.

Charles, do you mean the G0514X2 and the G0514X2B have different fence systems?

Charles Coolidge
03-15-2014, 4:18 PM
I meant Roland Johnson indicated the Grizzly G0514X2 with the footbrake was the best saw in the category. Guess that sentence needed a qualifier. I am trying to figure out how to explain to the wife the need for another bandsaw. If so, it will be the Grizzly G0514X2. Better not push it though.

Charles, do you mean the G0514X2 and the G0514X2B have different fence systems?

Yes they are quite different. The X2 has a short stubby cast iron fence and the T is some kind of extruded aluminum as is the fence rail. The X2B has the tall ALL cast iron fence and a solid 1" polished fence rail, this is the fence system offered on the much more expensive bandsaws like the $3,295 G0701. So again the things you get if you upgrade from the X2 to the X2B is this fence system and the electronic motor break plus some electronics related to that and a different motor.

X2

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/x2.jpg

X2B

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/x2b.jpg

Here's the X2 fence

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/x2fence.jpg

Here's the X2B fence

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/x2bfence.jpg

Jim Barstow
03-15-2014, 9:17 PM
514x2

Passed the nickel test out-of-the-box. I have 3 other grizzly machines (12" jointer, 15" planner, and stationary mortiser) each was near perfect on delivery. The few time I've needed parts, (replacement tires) grizzly was great. I wonder about these horror stories. Was the crate damaged in transit and it was overlooked in the excitement of getting new equipment perhaps?

incidentally, I have very high standards. In my old, small shop I had inca (Swiss) machines. Amazing equipment. Makes Italian stuff look like Craftsman. Made for small jobs though. The fit and finish on grizzly isn't up to inca standards but the important stuff is just fine.

Jon Prouty
03-17-2014, 7:17 PM
G0514X2
You guys pushed and I listened... I ordered the G0514X2 this afternoon. It is backordered so it won't ship until probably the second week of April. Gives me time to prepare the shop and figure out which bandsaw blades to order.
I'm looking at:
Timber Wolf 3/4" x 10RK for use with plywood. I only want to rip and crosscut plywood with this blade. Contemplating the 1" since I'm only looking at straight cuts.
Timber Wolf 1/2" x 3AS for bowl blank prep. This will be my common blade used. I'm also considering Diemaster 2 1/2 x .035 3TPI hook for this usage. Price is more but since it will be my most common blade I am leaning this direction.
Timber Wolf 1" X 2PC for log processing. I want to slab some logs and they could be wet or dry.

I figure since I'm not resawing for veneers I don't need a carbide tipped blade at this point.

What do you think of my selection so far? I know I'll probably end up with a lot of different blades eventually but I'm trying to narrow my initial purchase to just a few. I know Timberwolf bands are not the best quality or longest lasting but they should get me up and running for a while until I decide what is most important and where I want to spend even more money.

Thanks for the push over the ledge on the G0514X2...

Jon

Charles Coolidge
03-17-2014, 7:25 PM
You made a great decision congrats! I know nada about blades I'll let others who do speak on that.

Ed Bilsky
03-18-2014, 8:26 AM
Anyone have an opinion on going the 17" G0636X or G0636XB route over the 19" G0514X2B?

Is the 5HP motor overkill (also plan to do log processing plus resawing). The 17" inch is a lot heavier and the extra cutting height capacity seems desirable. What about the faster blade speed (versus 2 speeds with the G0514X2B)? Other difference appear to be the rubber wheels versus polyurethane.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

Charles Coolidge
03-18-2014, 9:58 AM
Ed that's really a different class of machine at $1,000 more. If I were going that far I'd go all the way and get the 19" version of that saw G0701

Ed Bilsky
03-18-2014, 2:50 PM
Thanks Charles for the response (and BTW I appreciate the pictures you posted - very helpful)

So if considering the ultimate line versus Extreme, etc. what can the user expect for the extra dollars. I imagine a more rigid frame and more stable with the extra weight. Is the 5 hp necessary for the larger height capacity? Still interested in blade speed and I guess the blade guides are motorized (is that desirable or just an extra part that may break down). I have a 8" Grizzly jointer and like the quality and price, and similarly their bandsaws generally get good reviews. But in terms of picking from these different levels and sizes it gets confusing. Would like a machine that is going to last (both in terms of build and usefulness as I develop skills and take on new challenges).

Has anyone gone from an entry level machine, to a mid-level and then to a larger high end? What are your thoughts?

Charles Coolidge
03-18-2014, 4:33 PM
Ed they detail what you get on the Grizzly site. If you are considering one of those saws you need to expand your comparisons to other brand higher end saws the high end Grizzly's are built to compete with for an apples to apples comparison. My guess you will find one of three things to be true.

1. The high end Grizzly's are not yet on par with the other high end brands but are less expensive.

2. The high end Grizzly's are now on par with the other high end brands and are less expensive.

3. The high end Grizzly's now exceed the other high end brands and are still less expensive.

That's the pattern I have seen with Grizzly machines, they seem to be practicing continuous improvement while at the same time the higher end brands quality is going the other direction as they move off-shore yet they continue to try charging the same premium price for the brand. My Grizzly TS is a prime example, its a 12" that puts a seriously beat down on the much more expensive yellow 10" saws AND costs less. But do your homework, in some machine categories other brands still have them beat.

Jon Prouty
04-13-2014, 2:22 AM
So close yet so far away.... I ordered my saw on March 17th and it shipped this past Monday. I've been tracking its progress across the US and I got a call on Friday to schedule final delivery - they are coming between noon and 4pm on Monday. I can't wait - I feel like a little kid. The saw arrived at the freight terminal this morning... It is so close yet so far away.

Guy Belleman
04-13-2014, 4:57 AM
You are going to love that saw. I find the 3/4" Woodslicer blade to be one I leave on and use the most, although for small bowl blanks, the 1/2" is better.

Ron Barnes
04-13-2014, 7:41 AM
I have the GO514X2B and love it. I use the Highland Woodworking 3/8" woodturners blade. It is a lot thicker and cuts through wet hickory and cherry with ease. Reasonably cheap as well.

Jim Andrew
04-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Shipping drags out. After I waited 3 months for my new Hammer saw, the Hammer person said 3 or 4 days for it to get here, then 2 weeks later it finally arrived!

glenn bradley
04-13-2014, 10:15 AM
G0514XF 19" 3 HP Extreme-Series® Bandsaw with Foot Brake . . .
I've read as much as I can find on this saw but there is not a lot written on it compared to the 17" version. Tim Allen disease of "more power" is my ailment.

I have the G0513X and do like the saw very much. In the case of bandsaws, cars and music systems, it is my humble opinion that high tech is great but, nothing beats sheer mass and horsepower. I would like a larger saw with more power so now you have one very subjective comparison of the 513 to 514 ;).

P.s. As to the fence differences, the X2 fence is like mine and I had to modify it. Why you would put the locking handle in line with the material I do not know. Easy fix but, the X2B fence design is preferable.

287138 . 287137
287139 . 287140

Also I believe the X2B fence can be used on either side of the blade. Always a plus.