PDA

View Full Version : Intro

Bill George
03-11-2014, 9:36 AM
I think I need to post the required intro. Retired, living in Iowa. Had a lot of interesting jobs master electrician, commercial HVAC specializing in controls. Ham radio since 1976 and in computers since 1979. Taught for 12 years at a community college before electing to retire. Hobby machine and metal fab shop in one of my garages. Had and sold a CNC plasma, and wood router. Retro fitted and updated CNC controls on a milling machine. Now in the process of building the 2.x laser engraver/cutter featured over on Buildlog.net.

Glad I found the Engravers Forum, a bunch of interesting talented people. Thank you for letting me climb aboard.

Tim Bateson
03-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Welcome Bill. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress. Including pictures.

matthew knott
03-11-2014, 1:50 PM
Be interested to see how this pans out, looks like fun but I suspect it will cost more to make that, than just simply buying one from china, but wheres the fun in that!! As long as you can afford to value your time at zero it should be a nice little retirement project to keep you out (or get in lots of) trouble. Good luck Bill, im sure we would like to see photos of the project as it takes shape (i know i would)
Matt

Bill George
03-11-2014, 2:09 PM
Be interested to see how this pans out, looks like fun but I suspect it will cost more to make that, than just simply buying one from china, but wheres the fun in that!! As long as you can afford to value your time at zero it should be a nice little retirement project to keep you out (or get in lots of) trouble. Good luck Bill, im sure we would like to see photos of the project as it takes shape (i know i would)
Matt
Matt I know I could have purchased one from China but this way I know what goes into it and how to fix it when it when things go bad. I am using the DSP controller from LightObject.com . I contacted Full Spectrum (a good USA supplier) because I think that software and controller is better for Laser control. But they no longer need the business from anyone building their own?

Considered a Mach3 ( Ethernet Cat 5) controller but its really better for machine control, not lasers requiring PWM over the power output.

Dee Gallo
03-11-2014, 4:40 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Bill - we can always use another tech-smart guy here! What are you planning to do with your laser once you build it?

cheers, dee

Bill George
03-11-2014, 5:54 PM
Dee my wife is wondering the same thing? But with both my plasma and router I made some pretty darn nice things. A lot of the VCarve files I made for the router I can export in DXF into the laser program.

Making an income, I am not talented enough. I also found out the China and India stuff on the market makes your customer think you can work for $5 hour on something for them. Not going to happen. So its going to be a hobby only.

matthew knott
03-11-2014, 6:47 PM
there's some fun stuff on the lightobject website, Ive had a good nose around it and it sells everything you need !! I think Full spectrum's controller is there USP, if they sell it to anyone that can just stick in a cheap imported Chinese machine and then they effectively have a full spectrum machine at a cut price. Not sure how they go about spares in that case, maybe only service exchange on the controllers.
You've made the right choice on the controller, MACH3 does not really suit a laser like your building

Mike Null
03-12-2014, 6:32 AM
Bill

This company is one of our advertisers and may have what you need.

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page