PDA

View Full Version : Show specials?

Drew Sanderson
03-11-2014, 8:25 AM
I am thinking of heading to the Northeast woodworkers association show in Saratoga Springs. Having never been to this type of event, are there typically "show specials"? Lee Valley, Lie-Nielsen, DMT, and other vendors will be there.

Thanks,
Drew

List of vendors:
Adirondack Folk School
American Association of Woodturners
Bad Dog Burl Source
Bad Dog Tools
Berkshire Vaneer Co.
Buttermilk Hill Specialty Lumber
Chefware Kits
CT Valley School of Woodworking
Curtis Lumber
DAO-P Inc
DMT Diamond Machine Technology
Epilog Laser
Featherbow LLC
Garrett Hack + Sheila Landry (Class)
Hannes Tool
Heartwood School
Keller Dovetail System
Ken Miller (demonstrating)
Kurt Hertzog
Lee Valley Tools
Lyle Jamieson
Maplewood Center for Common Craft
NY Forest Owners
Patriot Guard Riders
Planeperfect.com LLC
Print Says Graphics
Quality Engraving
Ridge Carbide Tool
Soc.Of Amer. Period Furniture Makers
Stadtlander Woodcarving
Vogt Toolworks
Wynn Environmental

Don Orr
03-12-2014, 1:14 PM
As an NWA member and volunteer I can say that the answer is a qualified "Yes". LV and LN usually offer free shipping and no sales tax as their discount. They don't bring a lot of stock to the shows-just tools to try there. Most other vendors have some sort of "special" pricing as well. I can't exactly what it might be. You'll just have to go and check it all out. :D

Don't forget to look at the lecture schedule-all are included at no extra cost with addmission. The Gallery is usually unbelievable too. This is the largest woodworking show in the Northeast and is put on entirely by volunteers! I'll be working one of the doors on Sunday morning if you want to say hello.

Just to confuse things a little, there is also a woodturning symposium called Totally Turning being held at the same place and time. This has a much different admission price.

http://www.nwawoodworkingshow.org/information.htm

http://www.totallyturning.com/

Just so you know, this is most definitely NOT one of "The Woodworking Shows". It is an independant show done by VOLUNTEERS! It is the main fundraiser for the organization.

Hope to see you there!

Brian Libby
03-12-2014, 1:42 PM
This is a great event!! This will make my third year in that last four that I have attended. As Don said , the gallery is outstanding and most venders have "show pricing"

Rich Riddle
03-12-2014, 5:12 PM
You can get LN with free shipping any day from Highland Woodworking. Lee Valley offers free shipping at the shows and every once in a great while. Some vendors offer "show specials" but be cautious; at the Woodworking Shows Peach Tree actually increases prices at the show as compared to their catalog prices.

One advantage of the shows are that you can see LN and Veritas side-by-side. After seeing the two next to each other, I purchased the Veritas planes. Enjoy yourself.

Lee Schierer
03-12-2014, 7:52 PM
Be a wise shopper, take your woodworking catalogs with you or know what you might be looking for and be prepared by knowing the current prices. Some vendors offer specials and some offer discounts off of "Manufacutrer's recommended retail price" which most places beat every day.