PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Speedy 100 inaccurate cutting problem

Russell Pavey
03-11-2014, 7:49 AM
Hi

Wonder if I could ask for some help please.

I have a Trotec Speedy 100 30watt which has run like a dream for the last couple of years from new using Illustrator through Job Control.

I mainly use it for cutting out acrylic in 5 and 8mm thicknesses and the rastering Oak which has been very accurate until now!

The problem I have is it now is not cutting accurately what I send though.

I have attached a test sample image of what I am sending and the results I am getting.

For example I want it to cut a 250 x 30mm rectangle but it is cutting a 249x29mm rectangle. The circles and squares sent through at 11mm are coming out at 12mm (h) x 11.5mm (w).

I have cleaned the lens and mirrors and made sure they are tightened.

Could anyone suggest why this may be happening.

Many thanks in advance

Russ284344

Scott Shepherd
03-11-2014, 8:12 AM
Looks like something mechanical. The only thing I can suggest it to make sure your page size in corel and the page size when you send the job over are correct. If the two mismatch, it can make odd things happen, but I don't think that's the issue. I would check it for sure. Outside of that, I think it's going to be a call to Trotec's tech support to get that resolved.

Russell Pavey
03-11-2014, 8:55 AM
Thank you Scott. I have tried your suggestion of page size match and unfortunately these are correct so yes a call to Trotec looks like my only option :(

Mark Sipes
03-11-2014, 4:46 PM
Is it possible there is a setting in Illustrator that is shrinking the output? Might consider having us send you a .plt file that is a verified dimension

Just a thought to rule out the software. or determine which program is the culprit.

Bill George
03-11-2014, 5:46 PM
I am assuming you have not changed anything in your set for the machine or software. In that case I'd look for some wear in your carriage and gantry bearings or an adjustment that might have worked loose. I had a CNC router and the same thing happened. The high school students he employed to put the machines together "forgot" to get some of the screws tight. A little work with some end wrench and Allen wrenches and I was good to go.

Kim Vellore
03-11-2014, 7:45 PM
It is interesting to see this problem because it does not indicate it is mechanical to me. Just looking at the drawing you attached maybe one of two things is happening, if the cut size is larger then the vector dimension is smaller then xx, if the cut size is larger then the vector dimension is larger than XX. The other scenario could be if one vector is inside another the one inside a mm is added and to the one outside a mm is subtracted. so it looks more like coming from the Job control or Illustrator.
You can try both scenarios by drawing a few lines starting with 10mm to 260 mm in 50mm increments and see if the dimensions change from being less to more and narrow down where it switches, or draw two circles inside each other similar to what you have (combined grouped or behind) and see if one is subtracted and the other added.

Kim

Keith Winter
03-11-2014, 9:30 PM
If the holes were the proper diameter just larger I'd think it was because you were not accounting for the material the laser was removing. Since they are malformed it's probably out of alignment or something. Trotec can help you run some tests to narrow it down, they are very good at tech support over the phone in our experience. One other question are your cuts straight or at a slight angle (or is the material too thin to tell)?

Russell Pavey
03-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Hi guys

Just wanted to say thank you very much for all your input. I tried several of your suggestions and lucky a Trotec engineer was in my area so popped in and diagnosed it as an alignment issue. Unfortunately he did't happen to have his alignment tool so did it manually as best he could and now although not perfect is cutting cirecles rather than ovals and the correct dimensions.

Thank you very much again for your help.

Russ

Bill George
03-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Sounds like you have great customer service from Trotec, glad its sorted out.

matthew knott
03-12-2014, 1:15 PM
Interested to know how alignment can change a hole size by over 10% on a small hole, i didn't realize alignment could affect sizing so much on a gantry style laser, can anyone explain how alignment effects size so much ?

Russell Pavey
03-12-2014, 1:32 PM
Matthew - from what I understand he said (and that's not a lot when it comes to lasers gone wrong) is the laser beam was not hitting the dead centre of the lens - just to one side of centre and as such this caused the laser beam to shoot off slightly at an angle causing the misalignment and hole size error. At least that's what I think he said.

Bill - yes Trotec came through in the end. I hadn't heard back from them after a day of waiting for their call so phoned again and had a little moan which seemed to spur them into action. I think they are particularly busy at the moment.

Cheers again all.

Kind regards

Russ

Dan Hintz
03-12-2014, 3:32 PM
Interested to know how alignment can change a hole size by over 10% on a small hole, i didn't realize alignment could affect sizing so much on a gantry style laser, can anyone explain how alignment effects size so much ?

When I first received my 3D printer, I was getting ovals instead of circles. All that was required was loosening the bolts holding the main structure together, run the gantry back/forth a few times, and re-tightening the bolts. Perfect circles after that. Alignment is huge.