PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Vac pump ?

Michael Mahan
03-11-2014, 2:46 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-CFM-Vacuum-Pump-61245.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNjMzNzUxNzYiLCJza3Ui OiI2MTI0NSIsImlzIjoiODkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0A IjoiMTAyNzAifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A#.Ux6wVYXEHSk
anybody have one of these ??

would this work for Vacuum press ? ? ?

Steve Rozmiarek
03-11-2014, 9:38 AM
Wonder if it has an adjustable pressure shutoff? There are times that you don't want full max vacuum. It would probably be possible to wire one in though, then I'd think it would work...

Dave Paine
03-11-2014, 9:42 AM
It should work for a vacuum press. I have a friend who has a similar style which is used for vacuum chuck on the wood lathe.

This style looks like an oil bath. Creates a mist of oil when used. You may need to fabricate some kind of oil filter/absorber or you will soon be surrounded in an oil mist, as my friend soon found out.

The vacuum press may need the unit to be run continually. Depends on how efficient it seals.

Pipe this up with a 3 way value so you can easily release the vacuum. Also include a small needle valve so you can adjust the vacuum if needed.

HANK METZ
03-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Here's mine in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atTLzekpCkM

CPeter James
03-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Get one of the Thomas Industries pumps listed on EBAY. They are oil less and designed to run 24/7. They start around $50 and go up. Try to get one that has been rebuilt. I have bought about 6 of these and had very good luck. The one on my lathe will pull 27' hg.

CPeter

Rick Potter
03-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Another great video, Hank.

Rick Potter

william watts
03-11-2014, 1:21 PM
I have a Ebay Thomas Industries pump and they do work very well. In my set up the pump runs continuesly with no problem and pulls 25" of hg. It is also powerful enough to overcome a leaky bag, so I use shop made bags from thin plastic sheeting, and get several uses from them. I have used those vacuum storage bags you see advertised on late night tv and they work good to.

I purchased may pump from the lowest price Ebay site that claimed to sell rebuilt pumps. When the pump arrived it would only pull 15" hg. I contacted the seller and he immediately sent another pump, no charge. Same problem with the 2nd pump. I then inspected then pump and discovered it had not been rebuilt, but had been disassembled and very thoughly cleaned. I was able to order reed valves and gaskets from another Ebay seller and complete a very simple repair. I now have a nice set up for hobby use.

Michael Mahan
03-11-2014, 3:37 PM
could someone PM me a ebay link ? seams the searching gives me too wide of a selection & I don't know which one would work for my application

Patrick Grady
03-11-2014, 4:27 PM
Thomas pumps are piston 'oil-less' pumps and are capable of pulling low grade vacuums. They are simple piston/reed valve air pumps and they are durable and rebuildable. They are especially valuable because their valve heads serve a second function which is to provide compressed air on their outlet side up to like 15psi which is great for airbrush painting and plastic welding and pumping up balloons. One drawback is that they are somewhat loud. They are generally cheaply built but are serviceable and in my experience durable and are good for pulling and pushing a good quantity of air per second. Rotary (as opposed to piston) oil filled vacuum pumps are a different animal. They are vac pumps only but are capable of the deep vacuums needed for dehydration and refrigeration work. They come in single and dual stage valve operations and are typically better built and more expensive. I own both types and have rebuilt many and if the piston pump works for your requirements then obviously go for that. Both types of pumps have their advantages. But for a few dollars more I would still consider a rotary pump, even a HF pump, because while slower on the pulldown, they are capable of higher vacuum muscle. Gast is a good manuf of piston pumps and has been around for decades. For inexpensive smaller rotary vac pumps, Robinair (refrigeration house) or harbor freight might work. For high end two stage high vacuum pumps look toward the scientific houses. Also, I would not buy a used vacuum pump unless tested with a known history( contamination). Capitol Vac Parts is a good source for repair parts.

Charles Coolidge
03-11-2014, 4:50 PM
I used a pair of these Robinair Cool-Tech 6CFM pumps http://www.americastoolwarehouse.com/automotive-tools/ROB-15600.html they work fine don't overfill them with oil. Note the reserve tanks if you need to slam something to max vacuum fast you draw those down first then let the valve fly open with the pumps running at full tilt.

Bruce Wrenn
03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Used vac pumps are available from most HVAC service places. When they no longer pull in the micron range they are trash, as new is cheaper than a rebuild. Ask around. As for loading on the pump, the greater the vacuum, the less work the pump does. The HVAC units are designed for continuous run, as it takes over 24 hours to get all the moisture out of a big system. I pay around ten dollars for used units from junk yard. Parts are readily available. Any air compressor that has a "screw in" air filter can be converted into a vacuum pump.