PDA

View Full Version : help identifying mystery tool

Paul Kunkel
05-20-2003, 3:29 PM
Got this at a yard sale. i was told it is a tachometer for an old treadle lathe. made by Starrett tool co. Does anyone know if thats what it is and how much it's worth. The dial turns when the chisel shaped shaft is rotated. second post is pic #2

Paul Kunkel
05-20-2003, 3:32 PM
Thanks for the help!

Doug Littlejohn
05-20-2003, 5:22 PM
Paul, I don't know about it being for a Treadle Lathe, but it is a mechanical tachometer. I have one from my grandfathers old tool box. He was a High School Metal and Machine Shop teacher, so along with the tach, there was abunch of other neat stuff to.

I don't think they're worth too much, but in my case I will probably use it occasionally to verify rpm's on a lathe or drill press. Of course it also is a reminder of my grandfather whom I respected very much.

John Wadsworth
05-20-2003, 5:30 PM
Paul,

You have a "registering speed indicator" made by the L.S. Starrett Co. of Athol, Massachusetts, possibly their model No. 107. By pressing the pointy end (which could accept variously shaped rubber tips) against the center of a rotating shaft for a measured time interval, the revolution count divided by the time interval would produce an RPM calculation. In your second picture, the outer dial counts up to 100 revolutions and the inner one keeps track of (i.e., "registers") the 100s.

These interesting tools are not particularly rare; I've picked up a couple at tag sales and passed up a few more--but they're fun to fool with.

Enjoy,

John

Paul Kunkel
05-20-2003, 6:04 PM
I paid $10- too much or too little? I just thought it an interesting item.

Alan Hamilton
05-20-2003, 7:43 PM
Wow! The knowledge of you guys is fantastic.

I inherited one of those things. I never could figure out what it was for--even though it was, and is, in perfect working order.

Great! Now I have another tool that I will probably never use.

Alan

Doug Littlejohn
05-20-2003, 8:58 PM
Paul, can't say for sure, but I would $10 was a fair price. They are kinda cool, and they can come in handy every so often.

Have fun!!

Bruce Page
05-20-2003, 9:09 PM
Paul, that’s a pretty cool tool, besides, ten bucks will only get you 2 beers & change in one of the trendy Taos nightclubs.

May you live to be a hundred years, with one extra year to repent. -- Irish toast

Paul Kunkel
05-20-2003, 9:22 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Page
Paul, that’s a pretty cool tool, besides, ten bucks will only get you 2 beers & change in one of the trendy Taos nightclubs.

May you live to be a hundred years, with one extra year to repent. -- Irish toast
Ya, it's interesting- never go to those 'trendy Taos niteclubs' (too far) and $10 for 2 beers? I get a 12 pac for that and enjoy it while I badger you guys!:D
Thanks!

John Wadsworth
05-21-2003, 8:29 AM
Sounds well within the range of the unembarrassing, if the mechanism still works. I've seen 'em for lots more and lots less--most sellers haven't a clue what they are either!

Spin away,

John