PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new jig saw

Tim Compton
03-10-2014, 7:34 PM
I am looking for a new jig saw. The uses will be DIY around the house and wood working. I have been looking at the Milwaukee top handle. The reviews have been very good, but I do not want to limit myself to just one brand. I have heard good things about Bosch, but can not find anything to compare with the Milwaukee. If there are other brands that are comparable what are they. I have also heard good things about Fest Tool, but I can not justify the cost. Any recommendations or reviews would be helpful.

Joe Kieve
03-10-2014, 8:32 PM
I love my older Bosch 1590evs. Don''t know about the other brands you mentioned, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Bosch.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill Huber
03-10-2014, 8:46 PM
+1 on the Bosch, I love mine and it really cuts nice and straight.

Greg R Bradley
03-10-2014, 8:50 PM
Well, you can't go wrong with a Bosch 1590 or the 1591 barrel handled version.

You can go wrong with other Bosch units. They have had lower end units for a while that were much poorer units. I don't remember the model of the low end units that were around when the 1590/1591 was current. The low and mid range current units are JS260, JS365, JS470.

Most of the big box stores replaced the high end 1590/1591 units with the newer JS470E/EB units which is a joke. The real replacement for the 1590/1591 is the JS572E/EB, which is around $100 more. I have looked at them and DON'T see the extra guides that made the 1590/1591 so precise but haven't actually used one to see how they work. One thing is for sure, the 1590/1591 were made in Switzerland and the JSxxx are all made in China.

An "L" as the end of a Bosch jigsaw means in comes in a kit in the Sortimo L-Boxx modular system box.

Mike Tekin
03-10-2014, 9:01 PM
Well, you can't go wrong with a Bosch 1590 or the 1591 barrel handled version.

You can go wrong with other Bosch units. They have had lower end units for a while that were much poorer units. I don't remember the model of the low end units that were around when the 1590/1591 was current. The low and mid range current units are JS260, JS365, JS470.

Most of the big box stores replaced the high end 1590/1591 units with the newer JS470E/EB units which is a joke. The real replacement for the 1590/1591 is the JS572E/EB, which is around $100 more. I have looked at them and DON'T see the extra guides that made the 1590/1591 so precise but haven't actually used one to see how they work. One thing is for sure, the 1590/1591 were made in Switzerland and the JSxxx are all made in China.

An "L" as the end of a Bosch jigsaw means in comes in a kit in the Sortimo L-Boxx modular system box.

One correction - the JS572 models, the top end are made in Switzerland and every bit as good as the 1590 series if not better...personal experience

Bruce Wrenn
03-10-2014, 9:50 PM
I have a handful (5) of the Bosch 1587's, all of which were bought used. Won't own anything other than a Bosch jig saw, or hammer drill.

Mike Henderson
03-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Bit expensive but the Festool Carvex jigsaw is very good. Pretty good dust collection, cuts straight around curves, and has a strobe light that "stops" the blade so you can see what you're cutting much better. I bought it because I got fed up with my DeWalt jigsaw which always cut at an angle around curves.

Mike

Matt Meiser
03-10-2014, 10:53 PM
I have the previous generation Festool only because of the dust collection and removable cord which works well in my shop with the boom arm. Functionally other than those two features the Bosch I had before was just as good. Blade changes are easier on the Festool, but I think the newer Bosch is as well. The Bosch was a D-handle, the Festool is a barrel grip. I definitely like the barrel grip better for control.

You might be able to find a used Festool from someone wanting to upgrade to a Carvex.

Peter Kuhlman
03-10-2014, 11:18 PM
I have both the Festool and Bosch and both are great saws. They are both far superior to any others on the market. The Festool models cost more and if you need to cut thicker materials - 1" or more - the Festool will beat the Bosch for producing true vertical cuts in wood and MDF. Bosch has updated their models recently as stated above. Don't purchase the lower priced ones as they don't compete with their top models.

Tom Blank
03-10-2014, 11:56 PM
+1 for the Bosch 1590. Matched up with Bosch blades is great.

Bryan Lisowski
03-10-2014, 11:56 PM
I had a porter cable which was the d handle type and hated it. Partly because of an eye dominance issue, so after trying the barrel grip Festool PS300, I actually enjoy using a jig saw now. Since I have other Festools being able to use with dust collection and the guide rails is another bonus.

Greg R Bradley
03-11-2014, 12:08 AM
One correction - the JS572 models, the top end are made in Switzerland and every bit as good as the 1590 series if not better...personal experience
Good to know that one, JS572, is made in Switzerland. A knew the JS series were made in China but now that my memory is jogged a bit, I think there were only 3 JS series out at that point and the 1590/1591 was supposed to remain as the pro level tool. Later the JS572 was introduced to replace it and I just assumed.......and we know where that can get you.

Can the JS572 keep the blade straight as well as the 1590/1591 without the extra guides?

I find I like the Festool Trion better on light stuff and the Bosch 1590 on heavier work, perhaps only because the Festool is lighter. I also look at the superior blade stabilizer tension mechanism on the Bosch and wonder why Festool couldn't match that. Festool is fine as long as you stick with one thickness blades.

Lori Kleinberg
03-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Love my Bosch 1590.

Lee Reep
03-11-2014, 12:25 AM
The Festool jigsaw is only horribly expensive the first time you use it. After that it is free ...

I can rationalize with the best of them!

Cary Falk
03-11-2014, 2:10 AM
I bought a used Bosch 1590 at a pawn shop and another for a friend on E-Bay. It is too bad they stopped making them. I found another one on CL the other day for $20 that has motor problems I will problably just keep for parts if needed. I looked at a JS470E in the Borg and it is made in Switzerland as well.

Jason White
03-11-2014, 2:37 AM
I bought the Milwaukee and hated it. Returned it and bought a Bosch barrel-grip. Love that thing!

Lee Schierer
03-11-2014, 7:42 AM
I purchased a Bosch 1584 AVS after my old B&D jig saw died. Wow, what a saw. With the Progressor T234X blades and no orbital action, I can get table saw quality cuts in plywood and hardwoods. Using the orbital action gives an extremely fast cut when needed. My only regret is not buying the Bosch sooner than I did.

peter gagliardi
03-11-2014, 11:18 AM
I have the Bosch, and the Festool corded version. I run a full time pro woodworking shop with 4 guys. The Festool is an ergonomicly well made tool, but that is where it's benefits end! Dust collection is marginal line of sight not great, changing blades, and adjusting side pressure jaws is a pita. The Bosch has better power, is a breeze to change blades and adjust side jaws, as they are simply spring loaded, and adjusting the baseplate to an angle is quick and painless as well. Just an all around excellent performer.
Why pay more for more aggravation and inconvenience?
For the record, I have many, many Festool tools- most are excellent to use, durable and accurate. In my estimation, Festool really missed the mark by a wide margin on the jigsaw!!

John Coloccia
03-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Has anyone mentioned Bosch yet? I like my Bosch barrel grip :)

Rich Riddle
03-11-2014, 3:13 PM
Like everyone else, I use the Bosch. Works great and is a reasonable price.

Sandra Mart
03-11-2014, 4:01 PM
Hi Tim, check amazon store today bosch off 53% http://watchfree.me/11/w.png

Kevin Womer
03-11-2014, 4:18 PM
I have and have no complaints for the Bosch 1590, I don't own any Milwaukee tools but I don't think you can go wrong with them either. I did return a Dewalt for the Bosch as the guide was bent on it, so it wouldn't cut straight. Not sure if it was my fault or not, but it was a demo and I didn't drop it or anything before I got it home to try it out. Regardless, lowes didn't question it and I exchanged it for the Bosch.

Troy Turner
03-11-2014, 6:24 PM
I've got the Bosch (see a pattern) JS260. It was on sale when I needed it and has done great. Installing a sink in a formica countertop was the reason for buying and it's been working flawlessly ever since.

Tim Compton
03-11-2014, 7:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry it took so long to respond, I had to go to my day job. I am surprised that the Milwaukee only got one mention. I will look at the Bosch. I just cant justify the Festool, if I made my living with this saw I would go the Festool route. I will let you know what I decide on.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-11-2014, 7:02 PM
Shish, I'm feeling sorry for the Bosch competition. Unfortunately for them though, I have and would recommend a Bosch. Good call on the Bosch brand blades, they make some good ones.

Doug Ladendorf
03-11-2014, 7:34 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Makita. They make a decent saw.

I've mostly used a D handle. Sounds like most of you guys like the barrel grip. I will need to give that another try.

Tim Compton
03-11-2014, 7:38 PM
Has anyone bought tools from Tools-plus.com. They are listed on the Bosch site as a retailer.

Nate Conley
03-11-2014, 8:57 PM
Festool is worth the money. Yes, it is a very costly tool, but it is great against chip out, can handle thicker material, and has many attachments that can be used with it to cut circles, straight cuts, and others. I would agree it is probably festools "under performer" in the category of dust collection, but id rather deal with a little dust than chip outs.

-Nate

John Schweikert
03-11-2014, 9:30 PM
Has anyone bought tools from Tools-plus.com

Yes, several times. No issues, very timely shipping and generally very good if not better prices than other online retailers. They also sell a lot through Amazon. CPO tools is also a very good online retailer.

Anytime I am buying a tool, I look at about 6-10 different websites for the best price. I'm not interested in dealer support for a product, I just want the best price if they all sell the exact same item.

Tim Compton
03-11-2014, 9:59 PM
I think that I will give the Bosch JS572EL a try. Festool is just not in the cards. Tools-plus has the best price, so I will try them also.

Greg R Bradley
03-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Based on Mike Tekin's info, I looked closer at the JS572. It DOES have an additional support to keep the blade straight but does that in a different way than the Bosch 1590/1591 and Festool Trion. It is all in one piece - see the picture:

I was fooled when originally looking at it since it isn't solid side to side until you have a blade in it - Duh! Thanks, Mike, for the update.

So it does look like the JS572 is a real replacement for the beloved 1590/1591. Looks like the dust collection on the JS572 is angled a bit better than the 1590/1591.

BTW, the JS572 said Switzerland but the lower end saws all say China.

Other reference is this old post: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?189448-Jigsaws

Tim Compton
03-12-2014, 6:10 PM
I ordered the Bosch JS572EL from Tools-Plus, they had the best price.

Mark Wooden
03-12-2014, 8:10 PM
+1 on the Bosch and Tools Plus

Mac McQuinn
03-12-2014, 8:35 PM
I've owned (2) of the Bosch saws, a D handle and a Barrel type. The 1591 Barrel model runs like a Swiss watch, very controllable and smooth. I sold this on SMC a while back and it's possibly the only tool I've sold I wish I wouldn't have. Search the used market since I believe they're discontinued. As far as dust collection, the basic design of a Jig saw will limit dust collection efficiency. Inefficient enough that I never use one without wearing a respirator.
Mac

Rick Moyer
03-13-2014, 9:10 AM
I ordered the Bosch JS572EL from Tools-Plus, they had the best price.

If you're going to that from a Black & Decker, or similar jigsaw, you'll be amazed at the difference. I'm certain you'll be pleased with your purchase. Easily the best upgrade I made for the price (I have the older 1587).