PDA

View Full Version : Rough Cutting Acrylic

Dan Wilhelm
03-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Since my laser has a non-standard bed size (12" x 20", 300 x 500 mm), I was wondering what the best way to rough-cut acrylic would be. The way they cut it at Lowe's is nice (big frame-type glass cutter), but the cheapest one of those I can find online is still a couple hundred dollars. I completely suck at making a straight line with the handheld-type glass cutters, and to be honest, I think glass cutters in general take too much effort, especially on 1/4" acrylic. I was think about using my table saw, but I have read that you need a special blade so that you don't chip the edges. Since I'm just rough-cutting, chipped edges wouldn't be the end of the world, but it reduces the amount of usable material I would get out of a sheet.

How do you you all rough-cut acrylic, or do you all have lasers capable of handling standard sized sheets?

Ross Moshinsky
03-10-2014, 12:58 PM
We use a plastic saw but a table saw works just fine. I believe you want something with 80+ teeth. The cheap plywood blades work I believe, but don't expect them to last very long.

Wes Mitchell
03-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Dan, your table saw should work fine for breaking down sheet stock.

Mike Null
03-10-2014, 2:07 PM
Freud makes a laminate blade with 80 teeth and a neutral or negative rake. I use one and a zero clearance insert and it works very well. No chipping.

Remember the stuff you buy at Lowes is extruded acrylic.

Paul Phillips
03-10-2014, 2:18 PM
Everything you ever wanted to know about saw cutting acrylic.
http://www.plasticsmag.com/features.asp?fIssue=Mar/Apr-01

Dan Wilhelm
03-10-2014, 9:33 PM
Thanks, gents. Looks like I need to get a half decent 80 tooth carbide blade. It might be overkill for this purpose, but that seems to be a good general purpose blade for plywood and other materials too.

I will only be using acrylic from Lowes for practice with the laser. I plan on ordering some LaserMax for sign making, and some decent cast acrylic for "work." I put that in quotes because right now, I'm just making stuff for my own amusement or making things for friends. Once I get pretty good at making things, I may approach some local businesses and see if I can make this thing pay for itself.