PDA

View Full Version : 1/8 thick Rowmark type acrylic?

Keith Upton
03-10-2014, 11:58 AM
I've been looking at some of the Rowmark products and could really use their black on white engravable plastic, but I have to have it in 1/8 thickness. Anyone know of a similar product that comes that thick?

I guess I could spray paint some white acrylic black on one side and engrave through that. But I'd be concerned about the paint scratching off once the customer has it in use for a while (the finished product would be handled a lot).

Glen Monaghan
03-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Why not go the other way and engrave 1/8 thick black, then color fill with white? That should stand up to handling better than painting white stock black and engraving through to show white because the white color would be recessed in the engraved areas and less prone to scratching or chipping away.

Kev Williams
03-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Yes they have 1/8" thick, I go thru tons of the stuff-- You can get it in 2 ply or 3 ply depending on if you need to engrave both sides--

Ross Moshinsky
03-10-2014, 12:51 PM
1/8" material, for whatever reason, is often not laserable.

LM942-402 should work for you though. Johnson Plastic sells it. JDS doesn't seem to. Not sure about someone like Marco.

Contact Rowmark for their Color Chart. It's a fold out color chart which lists all the colors and sizes and model numbers. It's pretty convenient.

Scott Shepherd
03-10-2014, 1:06 PM
IPI makes black/white 1/8" thick as well. Use it all the time as well. JDS doesn't carry it, but Johnson does.

Mark Sipes
03-10-2014, 1:39 PM
Had a contract with an electrician installing on a military base last year. specs called for 1/8 plates........ Johnson Plastics - Minnesota Warehouse

Tim Bateson
03-10-2014, 1:51 PM
I glue (3M double sided tape) 2 sheets together to get that thickness. The bottom being a solid color.

David Somers
03-10-2014, 1:54 PM
Tim,

What adhesive do you use? Any treatment prior to gluing other than clean surfaces?

Dave

Tim Bateson
03-10-2014, 2:01 PM
3M double sided tape. You can also order Rowmark/IPI with adhesive already on one side - just call them & ask for it.

Mike Null
03-10-2014, 2:10 PM
With 1/8 inch engraving stock so readily available why use adhesive unless you're engraving both sides.

David Somers
03-10-2014, 2:10 PM
Thanks Tim!

Dave

Tim Bateson
03-10-2014, 2:18 PM
I do it because these requests are rare & I have these materials readily at hand. Rather than stock a variety of different colored 1/8, I just throw it together in a few minute from the stock on-hand. I could get it Next Day, but that adds another $11-$12 in shipping costs.

Keith Upton
03-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone.

Why not go the other way and engrave 1/8 thick black, then color fill with white? That should stand up to handling better than painting white stock black and engraving through to show white because the white color would be recessed in the engraved areas and less prone to scratching or chipping away.

Hi Glen, I was wanting to avoid having to color fill the items before sending the to the customer, or having them have to color fill them once they got them.

Contact Rowmark for their Color Chart. It's a fold out color chart which lists all the colors and sizes and model numbers. It's pretty convenient.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Brian J Rogalny
03-11-2014, 1:14 PM
I use lots of the black/white & white/black 1/8" and BF plastic seems to have the best price for that material.

Keith Upton
03-19-2014, 4:39 PM
Okay, Wes at Johnson Plastics hooked me up with some sample to try - thanks Wes! - Now, what settings should be a good starting point for getting through the surface layer and down to the core on as 60w machine? Will my normal acrylic cutting settings work for cutting this, or should I try something different? I'd prefer not to waste most of the small samples he sent me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Shepherd
03-19-2014, 4:46 PM
It engraves just like 1/16" thick material. The cap sheet on the top is the same on 1/16" and 1/8". The only different setting you need is for vector cutting.

Keith Upton
03-19-2014, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Scott. Funny enough, I've never engraved 1/16... but I assume it should engrave just like 1/8 which is what I work in. Also, should I remove the film from the top before or after engraving and cutting.

Paul Phillips
03-19-2014, 5:52 PM
Keith, maybe this will help.
http://www.rowmark.com/MARK/LaserandRotarySettingsGuide/Laser%20Setting%20Guide%2010.11.pdf

Paul Phillips
03-19-2014, 6:02 PM
Scott/Steve/Festus, great new avatar, love it. Can't wait to see if you're going to start dropping one liners now like, "Hold `yer taters." or "If that don't put a clod in your shoe." LOL!

Scott Shepherd
03-19-2014, 6:13 PM
Scott/Steve/Festus, great new avatar, love it. Can't wait to see if you're going to start dropping one liners now like, "Hold `yer taters." or "If that don't put a clod in your shoe." LOL!

LOL.... that don't make me no nevermind...ya see?.......

Mel Fulks
03-19-2014, 6:28 PM
Doesn't get mentioned much that Ken Curtis was well known singer who got Sinatra's job when Frank left Dorsey band.

Scott Shepherd
03-19-2014, 7:18 PM
Doesn't get mentioned much that Ken Curtis was well known singer who got Sinatra's job when Frank left Dorsey band.

Yeah, he was an amazing singer. He also played another character in Gunsmoke one time that wasn't Festus. It was so different than Festus, you couldn't figure out where you knew the guy from. The voice was different, the mannerisms were different. It really showed just how great an actor he really was.

Keith Upton
03-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Keith, maybe this will help.
http://www.rowmark.com/MARK/LaserandRotarySettingsGuide/Laser%20Setting%20Guide%2010.11.pdf

Thanks Paul, that's the ticket!