PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 fair price

Drew Pavlak
03-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Is this a fair price?

Powermatic- 10" Table Saw with Mobile Base 19" Left of blade, 51" right of blade Model#66 - $1600

Also has a Delta- Band Saw w/ Base Cabinet Model# 28-203 & 92965

And Grizzly- 6" Edge Sander Model# G1072

Pic is attached, I know you can't see much, but I believe this is a newer model and Just thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Mark Andrew
03-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Drew -

That's not a newer model, it's a mid-life one. The early ones were green, then metallic green, then gold, then mustard, before being replaced by the PM2000. It does look in fair condition.

I sold a rough 66 a year or two back, same era, 3HP Leeson single phase motor, but had had a hard life in a cabinet shop for $650. With $1-200 in materials and some effort, it could have been made like new, but I just didn't have the time. I'd expect it to have been worth maybe $1000 when that had been done. I think this one is overpriced at $1600, unless it comes with the BS and sander, or the guy will do a deal off the $1600. A shiny new Grizzly that is every bit as capable can be had for less than $1600. Even a new PM2000 is about $3K, and this 66 is 25 years old or so.

Drew Pavlak
03-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks Mark,

Guy is selling for his father-in-law, so he doesn't know a whole lot about it. I might make him an offer, I would probably go as high as maybe $1200 if it is in as nice a condition as it looks. Maybe not. I will wait to hear what some of the other guys have to say, if anyone chimes in. I have looked at the Grizzly's and you are right, I could get a brand new saw, just not one made quite like this. At least that is the general consensus I am hearing.

Thanks again.

scott spencer
03-10-2014, 12:20 PM
I was thinking in the $1200 range too....maybe $1300 if you don't want to let it slip by.

Drew Pavlak
03-10-2014, 1:14 PM
Here is a pic of the Sander ($250) and the Band Saw($425). He did comment to "make him an offer he couldn't refuse"

John McClanahan
03-10-2014, 1:50 PM
I have a PM 66 like that. I'm with the others on the $1200 price.

That's a good price on the sander. If the band saw is larger than 14", that's a good price on it, too.

John

Earl McLain
03-10-2014, 1:53 PM
That drill press in the background of the band saw shot might be interesting too--at least to me. If it's kind of a winding down the hobby sale, the more you can do in one trip the nicer the folks seem to get.
earl

Steve Peterson
03-10-2014, 2:01 PM
this 66 is 25 years old or so.

I have one that looks just like the one in the picture that was purchased new in 2005. It may have been manufactured a few years earlier and was sitting in a warehouse for a few years. So maybe it could be as old as 25 years or possibly only around 10 years old. $1600 sounds a little bit high, but maybe not by too much depending on where you live.

Steve

Mark Andrew
03-10-2014, 2:10 PM
Steve - IIRC, the year of manufacture is on the serial # plate.

I'd be tempted to offer him $1500 for all three (if I could afford that). Use Grizzly as justification. Ultimately, it's worth what someone will pay for it. If that someone is me, I always try to get a used tool owing me what I could comfortably sell it for, and that is invariably in the 40% range or lower of a new tool. If I'm prepared to lose money on a tool, then it would have to be a new tool. I can't justify overpaying for used.

Julian Tracy
03-10-2014, 2:28 PM
I live in the metro Detroit area and frequent the local CL ads. The Bandsaw is EASILY worth $450-500, being clean and US made and enclosed base, the edge sander will sell for $200+ easy and the tablesaw is worth every penny of $1100-1400. Mind you, when I say worth, I mean that's what they will sell for in this area.

An offer of $1500-1600 for all three should certainly seem insulting to the seller.

I've found asking what something is worth here and on Woodnet is just about pointless - these guys wouldn't pay more than $350-500 for just about any cabinet saw in great shape based on previous what is it worth threads. Not the most objective group as most here (myself included) will only buy at bottom dollar.

But there are plenty of buyers out there who will look at any given deal from the perspective of their own need and the now seemingly ridiculous new pricing of the Asian imports with the hassle of cleaning, assembly, setup, tweaking and headaches that most new large machinery Asian purchases require.

Currently, on the Detroit CL, there is a USA-made new model (dual front controls) 10" Unisaw for around $1900.00. If I was looking at spending $1200-2000 on a tablesaw, that one would be worth a look too.

JT

Mark Andrew
03-10-2014, 2:42 PM
Julian, I have to disagree with you. USA-made does not automatically imply high quality to me, nor does Asian-made automatically imply poor quality.

I have a SawStop, made in Asia, USA developed. It was of first rate quality. Even the packaging was well thought out.
I have a Grizzly Bandsaw (G0513), made in Asia. It is also first rate in terms of fit, finish etc, although the packaging was poor. The epoxy paint is tough as old boots!
I had a Powermatic 66. The castings were rough, the surface grinding rudimentary and they couldn't even put the safety stickers on straight!
I also have a 1948 Delta 1460, which is every bit as good today as when it left the factory.
Same for my Delta RAS, a very solid hunk of iron.
I have a Harbor Freight bench sander, and it is atrocious in pretty much every respect, other than it does work.

The lesson to me is that where something was manufactured tells me nothing at all of any use.

Doug Ladendorf
03-10-2014, 3:12 PM
There is a nice vintage radial arm saw in there too that you might ask about.

The saw is overpriced. However, it seems to have two potential things going for it over other used 66's. 1.) It looks to be from a one-man shop and is likely well taken care of, not beaten on by those who don't care, 2.) Is that a full cast iron extension under that stuff? If so that bumps the value a couple hundred bucks. See if you can get more information.

Doug

Drew Pavlak
03-10-2014, 3:13 PM
I wasn't trying to start something. I was just curious, to see of other Creeker's thought this might be a good deal. I am leaning towards offering him $1600 for the whole mess. Worst he can do is turn me down. Sander I am not sure is worth $250, And the bandsaw has some black Paint (?) around the blade tension adjuster, not sure what that is. So we will see what he says. If he wants to move it fast he might take it.

Mark Andrew
03-10-2014, 3:24 PM
Good spot on the CI extension! Yes it does increase the value, they are quite rare. There's also a PM jointer from the same era.

Drew Pavlak
03-10-2014, 3:26 PM
The RAS is listed as this - Rockwell/Delta- 10" Radial Arm Saw

Honestly I am not too crazy about the RAS. I have a Craftsman 1980's model, and I know they aren't built the same, that I will probably get rid of shortly. More of an operational thing for me, just not all that useful.

there is also a Powermatic Jointer there as well, Powermatic- 6" Joiner with base Model#054, but I have a feeling that will be out of my price range.

Sandra Mart
03-10-2014, 3:32 PM
Great .. i think $1300 too $1400
http://watchfree.me/11/w.png

Jon Nuckles
03-10-2014, 3:37 PM
The new PM2000 with 3hp, 52" fence, and integral mobile base is $2600.99 delivered during the Powermatic/Jet 15% off sale, which ends today. With a new saw, PM or Grizzly or other, you also get a riving knife. I offer this only for comparison value purposes, not as a suggestion you should buy a new saw instead.

Dave Bonde
03-10-2014, 3:47 PM
I have that exact saw. I purchased mine new in 1999 or 2000 and paid right at $2000 delivered, it has been an excellent saw. It did not include a mobile base. FWIW - If I were buying a saw today (new or used) I personally would not buy one without a riving knife. I agree with the others on value 12 to 1400.

Dave

Cary Falk
03-10-2014, 5:08 PM
I have a mix of old and new iron. With the addition of riving knives, it does not make any sense to buy old iron 10" cabinet saw unless you can get it dirt cheap. A grizzly 690 or 1023 is just as capable as a PM66 or Uni.

Rich Riddle
03-10-2014, 9:06 PM
Drew,

I rebuild a lot of old woodworking machines for friends and have an extreme fondness for old Powermatic tools. That said, the model 66 you are considering would merit about 1000 at most. That would be top dollar if you don't have to disassemble and reassemble the entire saw. Many like them because they are left tilt machines as opposed to the Unisaw's right tilt. These days you can find either saw under a thousand without much difficulty. At an auction earlier this month one went for a few hundred. Many woodworkers want either the safety of a Sawstop or Slider these days and it has softened the market.

Drew Pavlak
03-11-2014, 7:54 AM
Thanks guys for your posts. I offered him $1600 for all 3, Sander, Bandsaw and Table Saw. He countered with $1900. I feel like you guys, this is a little high for these machines. Good news is that my barn isn't finished yet, so I can pass and keep looking for a couple of months. I know there is a tent sale in PA coming up. Might be worth a drive to see what Grizzly has to offer. Won't be the first time I have slept on a side walk for concert tickets. :D

Rich Riddle
03-11-2014, 9:32 AM
Thanks guys for your posts. I offered him $1600 for all 3, Sander, Bandsaw and Table Saw. He countered with $1900. I feel like you guys, this is a little high for these machines. Good news is that my barn isn't finished yet, so I can pass and keep looking for a couple of months. I know there is a tent sale in PA coming up. Might be worth a drive to see what Grizzly has to offer. Won't be the first time I have slept on a side walk for concert tickets. :D
Good for you. I thought your offer proved more than generous. Someone indicated that the bandsaw goes for over $400, but around here you can get them all day long for about $250. They really aren't that great a bandsaw. I gave away one about six years ago. The sander goes used here for less than $250. There was one on Craigslist sitting at that price earlier for about a month. It's really one of those things you can live without in a shop. The tent sale offers a little discount on items but once you drive there, get a room, pay for gas, etc., it's usually chapter to purchase the non-damaged items and have them shipped. Many items only receive 10% discounts. You can actually do inside Grizzly on any given day toward the back by the restroom and they have items on sale for the same prices. Perhaps others have received better prices.

Drew Pavlak
03-11-2014, 9:42 AM
Rich,

That is some good info. I haven't been to a tent sale and you are correct it will be a room and a drive for me coming from Michigan. His equipment seems to be in very nice condition, but when you pick it up used, it really needs to be a "deal" IMO. I just don't feel this is. Time is on my side currently so, I can afford to let it go. He is in Florida anyway and won't be up here for a couple of weeks, so who knows. If he doesn't get a lot of interest may be he will give me a call or email.

Drew Pavlak
03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Thought I would just post, the guy sent me a few more pics, and that is not a Cast Iron extension. looks to be a laminate. It is 3HP 1PH, which would be perfect for my shop. I let him know I wasn't willing to go higher but told him to keep me in mind if he didn't get any other offers. We will see what happens. Maybe I will end up with the Jointer as well. Never know.

Thanks guys.