PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-10-2014, 9:01 AM
10 Mar 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
I've been working on rearranging, cleaning, and de-junking my shop. A friend of mine has been wanting to help me get my shop better organized, so I agreed to let him help and of course that forced me to make the time to get out there and really want to get things done. I will post pics once I'm done. We've made really good progress and just last night we found a wire that used to run an outside air compressor in my shop that ran to nowhere. So we took that circuit and ran it to the location of where I'm moving my lathe to. By finding that #10 gauge romex wire and running that over for my new lathe location saved me about $50 in wire cost. I was happy.!!

I broke down and ordered me a curved carving knife for carving spoons and ladles. I'm working on a cherry spoon right now and the curved hook knife does make a nice difference, but that wood is really "hard" when trying to carve it by hand. I've had the wood in my shop for several years and it is very dry and hard. Maybe I should try carving some softer woods next time. :)

Back to work at the day job today and that's all for me. So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Drew Pavlak
03-10-2014, 9:58 AM
Saturday - Got tires rotated and took the family out to breakfast, then had Softball meeting for daughters travel team, then finished up the fiberglass insulation in the Barn. I am so glad that the Fiberglass insulation is 99% complete. Only thing I have to finish is a small area around a window (covered by plastic at the moment) and the Attic access (this will get finished once the drywall in that area is up).

Sunday - Softball practice for daughter and then got 6 sheets of 1/2" drywall hung in my barn. Doesn't sound like much, but we were working on the peak of a 14' cathedral ceiling. Luckily we have scaffolding to stand on. Barn is starting to come together. Finally! :D

David Hostetler
03-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Dennis and Drew,

Sounds like both of you guys had good weekends! Drew, you are going to love that insulation. I still have one wall to finish in my garage / shop for insulation, and drywall, so I am close to being in the same boat with you...

Saturday I managed to, with my brother in law's help, get the deep freeze moved into the shop. So that deal made with my wife 17 months ago is now a done deal... She is MUCH happier without the freezer in the kitchen so, well you know what they say...

Anyway, I got the old shelf that was by the door hung over the band saw, so my safety glasses, respirators, shop rags in a box etc... have a place to live.

The drywall texture spray gun managed to find its way into the shop, and I parted out the old "Clamp Rack" cut one of the crossbars to size, and screwed it directly to the entry wall, mounted some cup hooks, opened them up a bit to hold them, and hung brooms and dust pans from it. Now no more tripping on those!

Not sure if I posted up here about the clamp rack, but well, since last time I posted here I got a lot done, so I am just going to say feel free to look at the last 3 or 4 blog entries on my blogger page. http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com/

I needed someplace to store my extension poles, so a couple of simple garage hooks in the ceiling did the trick for that!

I finally managed to get my wife's Valentines Day presents planted, 5 different varieties of rose bushes. She doesn't like cut flowers, she wants them to last...

I got the old manual hose reels removed, and 2 new Suncast AquaWinder automatic winding hose reels installed. They work WAY better than anticipated. With these I might actually have the hoses would up once in a while!

Spent some more time with another one of my brothers in law working on arrangements for getting my truck up to his shop to get the transmission fixed.
I did manage to get the cab cleaned out, and it was all ready to go...

My oldest brother will be down from Oklahmoa I believe this next weekend, so we need to make arrangements to take him, my sister in law, and their kids out for some truly Texas cuisine. I think I need to introduce them to a Taqueria... They do decent BBQ in OKC, but Mexican food from what I experienced is a poor copy at best...

Garth Almgren
03-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Also did some rearranging and continued the never-ending unpacking process now that it's warmed up a little. The shop is starting to look like an actual shop, which is nice. Took a few hours last night to install on my TS the Excalibur fence and rails that I picked up on Craigslist a few months back. The rails are quite long, so I'll probably need to make some legs to support the right side, and I still need to give the saw a tuneup and make sure everything is aligned, but it's slowly getting there.

Ralph Butts
03-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Started hanging my dc piping in the shop, still waiting on some extra parts I purchased Friday from CV. Hooked up the electrical for my CV1800 and tested the remote operation. Getting closer to being able to make lots of sawdust.

Charles Taylor
03-10-2014, 1:06 PM
Friday morning I dragged home a Rockwell/Delta 15" drill press. The speed control wasn't working, so I spent a little time over the weekend digging into that problem. It looks like sometime in the past, someone had forced the speed adjustment dial tremendously hard, which bent the U-shaped steel bracket in the speed control mechanism and popped it loose from one of the screws on which it pivots. Hopefully a little straightening of that bracket is all it took to fix it; I'll know once I get it installed again.

We've had a crew renovating and repairing my old house in order to turn it into a rental. My wife and I took on the job of refinishing the kitchen and bathroom cabinets ourselves, and on Saturday we sanded back a few more of the doors and drawers. Sunday I stained them.

We also put up a temporary fence to keep our dogs in the backyard while our old privacy fence gets replaced with a new brick and wrought iron fence.

I looked at the insulation and paneling project that I've partially completed in the tool shed and wished there were more hours in the day, or more days in the weekend.

Garth Almgren
03-10-2014, 2:12 PM
I looked at the insulation and paneling project that I've partially completed in the tool shed and wished there were more hours in the day, or more days in the weekend.

I could go for the latter! :)

Dave Cullen
03-10-2014, 4:31 PM
I turned my very first bowl. About 5-1/2" Zebrawood. I'm gonna need to take a class somewhere, cuz this is way different than spindle turning.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-10-2014, 6:57 PM
I finally did something in the woodshop productive, so I'll post a pic. Notice the custom Ridgid "stubby" drillpress...
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9BNXXJWYhd8/UxvW1ElDwOI/AAAAAAAAEFU/cGftQyY-aKk/w311-h553-no/20140308_194817.jpg

I drilled a bunch of dog holes in my bench, because I finally got the home brew twin vise operational.

Shawn Pixley
03-10-2014, 9:50 PM
I got back from a long (2 week) business trip last week after working 19 days straight. Serious jet lag. I unpacked and reacquainted myself with my family. Took Saturday completely off. Walked the dogs, read a book, and other sundry fare. Sunday, worked a few hours in the morning. Finished up a couple of house projects I couldn't complete before I left. Made a business call to Asia, then saw a terrific movie - The Wind Rises. Did I mention the serious Jet lag?

Bill McNiel
03-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Sat - Played golf, went to a friend's house to watch the Seahawks' season in review video, eat chili and drink great wine. met up with my wife at another friend's house for dinner and much more wine. Ended up SF'ed.

Sun - in recovery mode. Leveled out the finish on the Boat Desk "transom face" (not eligable to operate power tools). Got small and watched a couple of movies with my wonderful wife.