PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass color filling

Zlatko Kursar
03-10-2014, 7:09 AM
What kind of paint you use for color filling plexiglass. I was try with acrylic paint but then it crack.
If I use acrylic paint on clear plexiglass then it is OK. But on engraving area it crack.

Joe Pelonio
03-10-2014, 7:47 AM
Here's what I have done that worked:

1. Apply paper transfer tape
2. Vector cut the lettering
3. Engrave the lettering
4. Remove from machine, spray with Krylon Plastic Paint
5. Remove transfer tape

Zlatko Kursar
03-10-2014, 8:56 AM
Joe, I know this, but what kind of paint is this Krylon Plastic Paint. I am living in Croatia and we don't have this spray.

Dan Hintz
03-10-2014, 2:41 PM
4. Remove from machine, spray with Krylon Plastic Paint

This is the key...

Joe, I know this, but what kind of paint is this Krylon Plastic Paint. I am living in Croatia and we don't have this spray.

Krylon Fusion uses a plastic-safe transport that won't craze acrylic (heated plastic is more easily crazed, as you've noticed on the engraved portions but not plain acrylic). If you don't have access to Fusion, sticking to water-based paints is your best bet.

Frederic Gagnon
03-11-2014, 9:57 AM
Here, we just engrave the acrylic without the film protection. Then we apply artists' acrylic paint that comes in tube, using a business card as spatula... Most of the paint stays in the engraving. Let dry for a moment, and wipe excess with a cloth containing a bit of methyl hydrate. Some scratch removing polish (Novus 2) is also good to clean up the paint around the engraving.

What kind of paint you use for color filling plexiglass. I was try with acrylic paint but then it crack.
If I use acrylic paint on clear plexiglass then it is OK. But on engraving area it crack.

Jiten Patel
03-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Frederic,

I tried using this method and failed miserably. The paint just gets wicked out - even if I use a cloth with a straight edged block. Am I not letting it dry enough...?

Frederic Gagnon
03-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Yes, probably that, and also the engraving must be deep enough. Use a thin microfiber cloth (like for cleaning eyeglasses). The cloth shouldn't be folded many times as it will get inside the engraving. Don't wipe strongly, let the methyl hydrate do the work. I didn't mention that this method works better with small text and logos, or even photos. But if you have a large area to color fill, indeed it is difficult not to remove paint in the engraving while wiping. In this case, use paper mask.

Frederic,

I tried using this method and failed miserably. The paint just gets wicked out - even if I use a cloth with a straight edged block. Am I not letting it dry enough...?

Dan Hintz
03-11-2014, 3:12 PM
I try not to wipe substrates that have large contiguous engraved areas to avoid removing the colorfill. When I have to, wrap the cloth/papertowel around a board to keep it as flat across the entire engraving as possible.

Kev Williams
03-11-2014, 9:40 PM
Used cotton sheets, the only cloth we use to clean up the paint jobs.

Jon Sollee
03-20-2014, 3:20 PM
I just use basic acrylic paint. Wipe on with a microfiber towel and the paint will migrate into the etched area. Wipe off access. No scratches. Attached is a piece of yellow acrylic infilled with black acrylic paint. 285170

Note: It is supposed to say "Baby on a board." It was for an artists gallery.

Larry Bratton
03-20-2014, 4:33 PM
I do something like what Joe does, with a couple of exceptions. I use cast acrylic almost exclusively and what I use has a paper mask. If I know I am going to do a color fill, (usually letters or numbers) I do a light vector cut on the lines with the mask in place, then weed it out. Next, do your regular engraving. (I don't like to engrave through the mask as it tends to leave residue from the adhesive) Then, I use a clear plastic primer that is made by Plasticoat. This seals the edges of the paper mask so that the paint doesn't wick under. Next, I spray the whole thing with Krylon Fusion then remove the mask of course. I have used Rustoleum paints also.

Another method that I use is a bit more conventional, especially with pieces that have a good bit of detail. I just engrave the piece and then using Winton's artist oil paint, I just put it on my finger and rub it into the engraving. Let it dry to a good haze and then buff off the excess. The OP should be able to order Winton's online and get it shipped to him.