PDA

View Full Version : Extra cash = new planer!

Matt Krusen
03-09-2014, 7:54 PM
The time has come at last and I'm finally able to buy a new planer. So the issue I'm having is whether to buy the Dewalt 735x (or a different portable model) or to save a while longer and spring for a stand alone model like the Grizzly or Jet 15"/16". Shop space isn't a huge issue so I'm more concerned about quality performance, finish, and life span. The cheaper price tag on the Dewalt 735 is of course appealing, but I'm definitely a fan of the "spend more and buy once" philosophy if possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! I appreciate the wealth of information and all of the great advice I've received since joining the Creek.

Michael Mayo
03-09-2014, 8:01 PM
"spend more and buy once"

My opinion for what it is worth......(not much):) Is save a little more money and get the bigger dedicated planer. I have a friend who has the Dewalt 735 and it will make you deaf in nothing flat. I mean it is above LOUD! I have an older Delta DC380 and I can use it without hearing protection if I choose to as it is really quiet compared to a lunchbox planer. It would be even quieter if it had a Shelix head on it. Maybe someday.

John TenEyck
03-09-2014, 8:16 PM
No question in my mind, if you have the space get a stationary machine. Personally, I'd buy a used one, and that could allow you to step to one you'll never need to replace or feel the need to upgrade from.

John

Larry Frank
03-09-2014, 8:17 PM
I think it really depends on how much you are going to use it and how you use it. I have both a 15" Jet and the DW735. The 15" Jet (like almost every other 15" planer) is great at taking pretty good passes and hogging off wood. My 15" has serrated infeed rollers to grab the wood. You need to take off a certain amount to make certain that you get rid of the marks.

The DW735 has rubber infeed rollers. I use mine when I want to plane things down to a very close tolerance. You have very good control in getting the exact final thickness you want. I really like this when I am doing face frames and want all of the material to the exact same thickness. The DW735 is a very well excepted planer by almost everyone. The only real down side is that it is loud and you will need to use hearing protection. Unless you are looking to plane a lot of rough sawn lumber, I would definitely get the DW735. Also, it requires 110 volt versus the 220 required by most of the 15" planers.

I also find it is easier to change blades on the DW735 versus the 15" planers.

Mikail Khan
03-09-2014, 8:38 PM
Grizzly/Jet will typically be buy once. If possible go with a shelix head.

Minimum depth of cut on my 20" planer is about 15 thousands because of the serrated rollers.

I have my planer about 6 years and I have not rotated the inserts as yet.

I recently installed a wixey dro on my planer. In spite of this, to get consistent thicknesses I position the handwheel at the 12 or 6 o'clock positions.

MK

MK

Mike Henderson
03-09-2014, 9:40 PM
Get the widest planer you can afford. As Mikail said, it's a one time buy. It'll be a lot quieter than the 735. I own a 735.

Mike

Cary Falk
03-10-2014, 6:22 AM
I went from a 13" Delta benchtop to a 15" Grizzly with a spiral cutter head. I couldn't be happier. The noise reduction is amazing.

Earl Rumans
03-10-2014, 7:00 AM
+1 on the spiral cutter head, it's a night and day difference both in quality and noise levels between regular blade and spiral cutter heads. I would save up and go for a Grizzly GO453PX. A compromise would be the Steel City 40200H http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/index.php/standard-products/planers/40200h-13-deluxe-portable-planer-with-helical-head.html It's a reasonably priced lunchbox planer but it has a spiral cutter head and very good reviews.

Larry Frank
03-10-2014, 8:18 PM
A Grizzly 15" planer with spiral cutter head runs around $1800 plus shipping. I agree that having the spiral cutting head is great and works well but the $1000+ more for it over the DW735.

We see a lot of these threads about what tool to buy and normally there is little information on what the tool will be used for and how much it will be used. If you are going to use it on hundreds of board feet a year, then I think the extra money for the 15" and spiral cutting head is well worth it. If you just want to have one of the best planers with a spiral head then I would get it.

Rich Riddle
03-10-2014, 9:08 PM
After owning one of those portable planers, I would save for a larger one. There are many auctions happening this time of year if you are open to a used machine. Your ears will thank you for not getting one of the portable jobs.

Myk Rian
03-10-2014, 9:22 PM
My opinion for what it is worth......(not much):) Is save a little more money and get the bigger dedicated planer. I have a friend who has the Dewalt 735 and it will make you deaf in nothing flat. I mean it is above LOUD! I have an older Delta DC380 and I can use it without hearing protection if I choose to as it is really quiet compared to a lunchbox planer. It would be even quieter if it had a Shelix head on it. Maybe someday.
There must be 1,000 threads on the DW735 and noise. Just put a Byrd head on it, and you won't be waking the dead.

glenn bradley
03-10-2014, 9:26 PM
I don't think you need another vote for a floor standing machine but, that's my vote too. I went from a DeWalt Lunchbox (which performed admirably) to a 15" with an insert cutterhead (Grizzly G0453Z). The driving force for me was prevention of tearout on figured woods; I got tired of wasting that perfect piece of birds-eye I had taken all that time selecting ;-( The machine is much quieter than my lunchbox but, at the factory default alignment, the finish was a bit rough. This was due to the serrated rollers, not the cutterhead. Once I adjusted the tension the finish is very satisfactory.

However, lunchbox planers are 'finish' planers and some floor machines are not as good at this task right off the pallet. They will hog off a lot of material if that is your need. I see one member mentioned only being able to remove about 1/64" on his 20" machine. I have removed nearly an 1/8" on a 12" wide piece of maple without issue. It makes sense that an 18" or 20" wide board would require lighter passes. My normal use of the machine is much more delicate though and I do not do production-like runs of material. different types of use will require different approaches to the machine.

I do use the planer as a rough milling machine and as a 'finish' planer. It depends what you're doing but, for softer woods like mahogany, I will do additional surface prep for boards coming off the machine. Harder woods like maple and oak come off very close to done. Again, this is an opinion and will vary with the craftsman. I have not missed the smaller machine and would recommend going straight to a larger machine if asked.

joe maday
03-11-2014, 8:15 AM
If you buy a 15" planer, jet , grizzly, delta etc, put in delta rubber coated outfeed rollers in place of the serrated infeed/outfeed rollers and you will do away with the problem of "imprinting" on the surface of the finished planed wood. In my experiances actually increases the "pull" on rough lumber and the downward pressure on the out feed can remain as set from the factory. Should be standard or optional from the factories/dealers.

Rich Riddle
03-11-2014, 9:38 AM
There must be 1,000 threads on the DW735 and noise. Just put a Byrd head on it, and you won't be waking the dead.
Yes, you can do that. But then you have a very expensive portable planer and it still has some plastic parts. Perhaps I am the only one who has ever dropped something on a tool or had something fall on a tool and damaged plastic. Right now the Shelix for that planer goes for $470 on Amazon. Looking at the planer head you can see it isn't quite the diameter of most planer heads, but is is much cheaper than many others.

http://www.amazon.com/Byrd-Tool-Shelix-cutterhead-Dewalt/dp/B008CS2QAE

Rich Riddle
03-11-2014, 10:01 AM
If you are willing to drive and can take off on Friday, there is an auction in Kentucky with used school equipment and a large Powermatic shaper. Since it's Friday, it won't have the huge draw. Equipment looks good.

http://www.irvingroup.com/listings/surplus-auction/

lowell holmes
03-11-2014, 10:33 AM
My 14 year old Delta 22-560 planer gave up the ghost three days ago while milling some straight grain fir for a door project. It had been a faithful tool all those years, but I knew the end was near with all of the noises coming out of it. It did crater. Being in middle of a project, I decided not to take it to a repair shop, but just replace it. I had run thousands of feet (? well it seems like thousands) I hated to see it go.

I had learned how to eliminate snipe and was pleased with the performance.

Being in the middle of a project, I decided to go to one of the big box stores and buy a Dewalt planer. They had both the 734 and the 735 models on the floor with unopened boxes underneath. I had gone on line and found performance reviews of the two and found that many woodworkers gave the 734 superior marks over the 735. It looks a lot like the 22-560 that I wore out, so I had confidence in it and being $200 cheaper than the 735, I bought the 734. The 734 ha 1/2" wider cut than the 735.

I spent much of yesterday milling the remainder of the wood. This was 80" long, 8" wide rough strait grained fir. I can tell you it is superior to the 22-560 in that the snipe is gone! It is incredibly easy to use. One revolution of the crank on top moves the the cutters up or down 1/16" of an inch. One quarter turn gives you 1/64". There is a stop you can set to prevent milling wood past a thickness you want. And it comes the in feed and out feed tables on it.

I can't say it is as good as the 735, but I don't regret buying the 734. It will do everything I want to do.

I mounted the planer on a shop built table (the 22-560 was on it) and I cover the machine with two towels, put one of the styrofoam (? sp) shipping fillers with the shipping box over it. The 22-560 lasted 14 years being protected with this arrangement.

Maybe this will help.

David Hostetler
03-11-2014, 10:52 AM
You need to do the math for yourself weighing the options against your own requirements. Gather a list of pros and cons for the various models, and pick the one that best suits your needs.

For example, a pro for a lunchbox type plaer would be that it would be far easier to move around the shop if you decided to reorganize, or even completely move your shop. A con would be that lunchbox type planers typically have shorter usable lifespans compared to a heavier stationary machine.