PDA

View Full Version : Is Anybody Going to Participate in This Contest?

Brad Livingston
06-19-2005, 7:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone was planning on entering this contest. I've seen it
in a lot of engraving magazines like Engraver's Journal and went to the
website as well.

Keith Outten
06-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Brad,

What Contest? I don't get out much these days so I missed the announcement, fill me in on the details.

Chuck Burke
06-21-2005, 1:33 AM
Brad,
Could you provide a little more information please? I"m stuck in the middle of the ocean and don't have much but drums to communicate with.

Thanks
Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards
Maui, Hawaii

Shaddy Dedmore
06-21-2005, 1:49 AM
Chuck, try smoke signals, you can see them from farther away, save the drums for when they're behind a mountain.

Chuck Burke
06-21-2005, 2:13 PM
Shaddy,
Ya know, I'm trying to think of something witty to reply and I cannot. Sigh.
So I guess I will have to go to the beach.

Later
Chuck

Lee DeRaud
06-21-2005, 2:19 PM
Brad,
Could you provide a little more information please? I"m stuck in the middle of the ocean and don't have much but drums to communicate with.I thought you island guys just blew in a conch shell or something when you wanted to get somebody's attention...

Mark Sipes
06-21-2005, 9:13 PM
I guess Brad used his one and only post to get a conversation started that is going nowhere?

Mark:(

Brad Livingston
06-22-2005, 8:26 PM
Sorry everyone, it's been a busy past few days. Yeah, I forgot to add the URL, my mistake.

http://www.laserproi.com/en/engraveyoursmiles.

Lee DeRaud
06-22-2005, 8:59 PM
Sorry everyone, it's been a busy past few days. Yeah, I forgot to add the URL, my mistake.

http://www.laserproi.com/en/engraveyoursmiles.Oh, ok, what it really is, is a photo contest.

Hey, Brad, you don't happen to work for LaserPro by any chance, do ya?

Keith Outten
06-22-2005, 9:30 PM
Why would someone who owns a laser engraver want to win a contest that offers an engraving as a grand prize?

Why would I sign away all rights to a photo that belonged to me to someone else and have little chance of gaining any real compensation?

To make things worse they would probably sell my email address....pouring salt on the wound :(

I think I will pass Brad but I appreciate the heads up. You don't work for LaserPro do you? :) :) :)

Aaron Koehl
06-23-2005, 8:05 AM
Why would someone who owns a laser engraver want to win a contest that offers an engraving as a grand prize?

Why would I sign away all rights to a photo that belonged to me to someone else and have little chance of gaining any real compensation?

To make things worse they would probably sell my email address....pouring salt on the wound :(

I think I will pass Brad but I appreciate the heads up. You don't work for LaserPro do you? :) :) :)

LOL :D This makes me chuckle.

Rodne Gold
06-23-2005, 9:26 AM
The grand prize is exposure in the various publications , which *could* give your business a boost as well as enhance your prestige as a photgrapher (If that matters to you)

Personally , I'm a keen photographer and would LOVE to get the adulation or kudos of a winning pic
http://www.rodney2.fotopic.net (http://www.rodney2.fotopic.net/) and http://www.rodneycanon.fotopic.net

I DO see the assigment of rights to use that photo - which is obviously to stop future claims if the photo is used in ad campaigns (which is obviously the stated intent as the grand prizes clearly states it will be used in GCC ads)

I DONT see that this is limited to folk with laser engravers only and is undoubtedly meant to showcase the abilties of a GCC laser and promote their sales of such.

As to this clause in the conditions of entry :

3. All entries and Photo materials become the property of GCC America Inc. and in no case shall be returned to sender. No correspondence will be entered into except with eligible winners who may be contacted by email or by phone

I do not believe , regardless of having read and accepted the conditions of entry that this clause is at all enforceable barring the PHYSICAL nature of the entry , I cannot see it applying to ownership of the image or bypassing copyright etc. IE if you send a pic , they wont return it , but under no circumstances can they use that pic as they like.

Of course the details of all those that enter will most likely be used to market GCC products , but that is not at all unusual for competition of this nature , after all , they could easily go to a stock photo agency and get an image to use for this at a much cheaper price than running a competition.

I also think that the prize is not really a huge incentive to enter , a 150W neptune would have been a far better carrot and whoever came up with the "grand" prize is a bit of a cretin.

George M. Perzel
06-23-2005, 6:11 PM
Hi Guys;
Just spoke to someone at GCC USA. The guy who came up with the grand "prize" is the same clown who "writes" their manuals- makes sense if you ever tried to read their manuals!!
george

Aaron Koehl
06-24-2005, 9:02 AM
I also think that the prize is not really a huge incentive to enter , a 150W neptune would have been a far better carrot...

Now we're on to something.. ;)

alen lin
07-18-2005, 6:23 PM
To all concerned, regarding the questions and remarks on the participation of the current Engrave Your Smiles contest/promotion.

GCC is offering this contest for the purpose of displaying the creative ideas that we see every day from our customers, coupled with GCC LaserPro's ability to deliver quality images on a variety of materials.

GCC has consistently displayed excellent photographic images on Black Marble at tradeshows and user events for the past 3+ years, with only recently seeing this application displayed a couple of other booths at the industry leading shows.

We feel black marble is one material that can present engravers with great challenges in producing excellent work. The black marble not only brings out the finest details, but it also brings out any flaws that machine may have.

In the past years when GCC has had black marble exhibits at shows and other events, the general response has been nothing short of awe and great interest. In fact, many of our customers are absolutely fascinated by the samples we have created using the LaserPro.

For this reason, we wanted to present these customers, as well as other customers who have took the extra effort to submit their winning photos to us, a flawless piece of black marble. This piece, custom engraved by us, will be a token of GCC's appreciation with confidence in the quality of our product.

To the point of ownership of the images, GCC is interested only in the display of these images within our future advertisements, for the sole purpose of highlighting the quality and feature of our systems; we do not have other commercial interest and/or any intent to misuse and abuse the rights of its original owner.

We agree with you who value the exposure and prestige in having your works featured in various publications, and we will gladly reward the winning image with identification of the work with your company in hope that this will put a boost to your business, and help you prosper to a point where you may need additional LaserPro equipment. Building success, both yours and ours, this is what GCC is all about.

Thank you for considering our contest and good luck with your entries.

Best Regards,

Alen Lin
Business Development Manager
GCC America, Inc.