PDA

View Full Version : Wide Capacity Face Vise

Hank Knight
06-19-2005, 6:19 PM
When I built my workbench, I imbedded 4 heavy duty stainless steel machinist's T slot nuts in the dog hole strip. I thought I might be able to use some threaded studs with speed handles to clamp wide panels to the edge of the bench. I needed it this weekend so I completed the idea and it was great success. I now have the ability to clamp panels up to 29" wide between the screws, and it's rock solid. Here are some pics pf the "vise" in use and the construction process.

Hank Knight
06-19-2005, 6:37 PM
This picture of the the threaded studs and the speed handles might help visualize the idea. When not in use, the whole assembly can be unscrewed and stored away.

OOPS! Can't figure out how to post additional picture. Oh, well; you get the idea.

Per Swenson
06-19-2005, 6:56 PM
Nice, very nice.

Now you have me thinking.

Thanks

Per

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2005, 7:00 PM
Excellent idea Hank!

Frank Pellow
06-19-2005, 7:22 PM
Great idea Hank! I will file this thread, and if I ever get around to building a "proper" woodworking bench, incorporate the idea.

Hank Knight
06-19-2005, 9:01 PM
I hope you can use the idea.

Jim Becker
06-19-2005, 9:27 PM
Hank, that's a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Charlie Kocourek
06-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Where did you buy the hardware? Especially the handles.

Alan Turner
06-20-2005, 5:12 AM
Hank,
Thanks for the idea. I think it will be easy to retrofit my bench with these fellows. I don't see why I can't either drill or mortise from the bottom and place a square nut there to hold a 3/8" bolt. This would be a wonderful vise for things like using a router to cut the pins on a sliding dovetail, with the benchtop providing the perch for the router base.

Now to get off my duff and do it. Thanks again.

Steve Wargo
06-20-2005, 5:34 AM
Did you say using a router to cut a sliding dovetail? Man I gotta try that.:D

Alan Turner
06-20-2005, 7:07 AM
Steve,
I am thinking of a sliding DT such as might affix a top to a carcase, typical of Boston construction methods of the 18th Century. Routers were common in Boston during that period of time, of course.

BTW, you are not giving me a hard time about the use of electrons, are you?

Hank Knight
06-20-2005, 7:43 AM
Where did you buy the hardware? Especially the handles.

Charlie, I bought all the hardware from MSC Industrial Supply Company (www.mscdirect.com). It's all standard stuff, so I'm sure it's available elsewhere. The MSC part number for the 1/2 X 13 aluminum speed handles is: 82405234. I don't think I mentioned in my original post that I used aluminum handles as a precaution against ruining a sharp tool edge on a steel one. The T slot nuts and the studs are stainless steel.

Sam Blasco
06-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Just when I thought my bench was nearing completion, you throw me a curve. I used to be able to hit those when I was in high school. I guess we will see if I still can. Great idea.

Mike Steinhilper
06-20-2005, 3:29 PM
Hank, I am in Columbia too. Did you get everything you needed for that vise here in town? btw, I'm just getting started and any useful info on local suppliers would be appreciated...

Hank Knight
06-20-2005, 8:37 PM
Hank, I am in Columbia too. Did you get everything you needed for that vise here in town? btw, I'm just getting started and any useful info on local suppliers would be appreciated...

Mike, I sent you private reply. Click on "Private Messages" at the top right corner of your screen.