PDA

View Full Version : Tube sticking on and not homing on MCP6515

Jonathan Bowen
03-09-2014, 5:36 PM
So this one is new and I'm kinda concerned about the controller because of it. I'm going to be really if it is. I've already replaced the tube and power supply last month...

So I fire up the laser (Gweike 40 watt) and start a cut file. My new tube isn't in yet and the tube that is in it is bad and stutters on startup. So I hit stop to restart it after the tube got warm and it stuck in place. It didn't home like usual and the tube never shutoff. The output for air assist shutoff and my solenoid valve closed. So I'm a bit concerned that something is wrong with the controller. It has been giving me the occasional odd error when uploading. Not the same one you get if it can't find the controller but it compiles the file and then kicks the error.

It's running now so I'm going to see what happens when the file finishes in a few mins. Anyone have any ideas?

Jonathan Bowen
03-09-2014, 6:05 PM
Well it seems like a fluke so I don't know what happened. It's not doing it anymore.

Dave Sheldrake
03-09-2014, 6:19 PM
Before hitting stop Jon always use pause if possible or the controller has to change direction very quickly and can cause loss of position.

cheers

Dave

Bert Kemp
03-09-2014, 6:29 PM
Before hitting stop Jon always use pause if possible or the controller has to change direction very quickly and can cause loss of position.

cheers

Dave

Wow Thanks Dave I had the same thing happen a couple times, was rastering away and didn't like the results so hit stop and it homes to some weird place.So I tried it your way and that works Thanks for that tip.

Jonathan Bowen
03-09-2014, 6:52 PM
Hmm that would explain a lot. I'll have to use that from now on. I just figured the setup shifted slightly from slop. Now if I can just figure out how to extend the gantry axis (x?) so that it can etch the entire table instead of slamming into the stops and screwing up the cut. I need to measure that slow down distance at various speeds and create jigs to prevent it.

BTW I think I found a good cheap solution for extending the case to hold this 60 Watt tube. If it works I'll post something about it tomorrow when I get it done and the tube gets here.

Alexa Ristow
03-10-2014, 8:17 AM
Hi Johnathan,

The posters are correct in saying that it is best to pause first when engraving to stop the head from slamming to a halt.

I noticed however in your post that you stated that your tube continued to fire after you pressed stop and that your head never homed. This is more than just a position error caused by a rapid Stop.

I have experienced this symptom's as well as the " odd upload issues". mostly it related to static and earthing issues but ultimately, the answer is to toss the 6515 controller and upgrade to the 6525 or better. We have not had one error in over 2 years now since replacing to the updated controller. Basically, the 6515 is error prone and the list of issues experienced by multiple users would confirm this,

Regards,

Norman

Peter Meacham
03-10-2014, 7:06 PM
Alexa

Any idea where one would get a 6515 controller?

Pete

Dave Sheldrake
03-10-2014, 8:17 PM
Leetro Pete,

Could be worth giving Ray Scott a call at Rabbit, he's likely to have them in stock.

cheers

Dave

Alexa Ristow
03-11-2014, 12:58 AM
Leetro Pete,

Could be worth giving Ray Scott a call at Rabbit, he's likely to have them in stock.

cheers

Dave
My bad. Meant to say replaced with a MPC 6535 Leetro.

Try Rabbitlaserusa dot com. Or aliexpress dotcom
regards,

Vicki Rivrud
03-11-2014, 9:45 AM
Hi Alex,
Have you actually replaced a 6515 with a 6535? If so did you find anything different in the wiring?

Vicki

Alexa Ristow
03-11-2014, 3:25 PM
Not really. Wiring diagrams are available and it was fairly easy to make sure that the right plug went into the right receptacle. It was really worth the effort since the machine has been 100% stable since then.