PDA

View Full Version : 10" saw blades, what are these and what should I do with them?

Andrew Pitonyak
03-09-2014, 2:29 PM
I was given 6 to 10 saw blades (I don't remember how many), and I know know almost nothing about them. Lets start with this Credo Plywood Panel blade. I have one of them. It is very dull. I assume that it is not worth sharpening (since I have a nice carbide plywood blade).

Next there is a blade I don't understand. I have a couple of these (4??). They feel dull to me. i am not really sure what you do with this type of blade. Does the tooth pattern clear the waste quickly and run cool, but leave a rough finish?

So those first two are all steel and they are dull. I doubt that they are worth sharpening. Should I pitch them, is someone likely to want them for anything here on the creek, if so, I can put them up in the classified section and dump them to someone that can use them... not sure they are worth the shipping.

This final blade looks unused, and again I have a couple of them.

I own a few Forest blades, and I expect that the reason for keeping this blade around is for when I am afraid that I will hit a nail or run some "dirty wood" or something. I can't imagine I would need more than one or two. I know nothing about these blades, are they any good?

Matt Day
03-09-2014, 2:38 PM
Clocks? :-)

The ones that aren't carbide aren't worth much of anything if you ask me unless you're doing some really rough cutting. The last one that has carbide could be a good beater blade like you suggest.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-09-2014, 4:02 PM
I will see if I can recycle the saw steel saw blades then and save the new carbide blades in case I need a disposable blade. Even then, I do it so rarely, I might want to give away all but one since I am tight on space.

Thomas Hotchkin
03-09-2014, 4:53 PM
Andrew
I needed a very thin open-end wrench one day and did not want to spend the big dollars that Powermatic wanted. So I made it from a old steel 10" saw blade. Good steel, still using it. Tom

Lee Schierer
03-09-2014, 4:55 PM
Blade #2 is a Craftsman blade that came with table saws and radial arm saws. They give a decent cut, but are only HSS so they dull relatively quickly. The one you have looks like it has seen some use and abuse. the sides are hollow ground so deep cuts tend to make the blade rub on the wood sort of a thin kerf cut on a full body blade.

Blade #3 at 40 teeth isn't a a fine cutting blade nor a ripping blade. It would work well for construction grade work where tear out can be tolerated. I would use it for cutting questionable lumber or for construction work.

Lee Reep
03-09-2014, 5:12 PM
Clocks? :-)

The ones that aren't carbide aren't worth much of anything if you ask me unless you're doing some really rough cutting. The last one that has carbide could be a good beater blade like you suggest.

Matt,
You beat me to it. :) I have one of those Kromedge hollow ground blades that came with my radial arm saw I bought in 1976. I keep meaning to make a shop clock with it. Maybe in 2016 on the saw's 40th birthday ...

Andrew,
For old carbide blades, I like to keep one and dedicate it for cutting plastics or non-ferrous metals -- aluminum, brass. And certainly they are good for rough cutting, where you do not want to put unnecessary wear and tear on a good blade. I hear you on keeping one to substitute for Forrest. I just got one for my table saw, and would certainly swap it out if I were cutting down any construction grade materials.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-09-2014, 5:49 PM
Andrew
I needed a very thin open-end wrench one day and did not want to spend the big dollars that Powermatic wanted. So I made it from a old steel 10" saw blade. Good steel, still using it. Tom

How did you cut the blade?

Tom Walz
03-10-2014, 1:05 PM
I haven't seen those names in a long time.

Plus 1 for what the others said.

HANK METZ
03-10-2014, 2:24 PM
The Kromedge blade is a service mark of Sears/Craftsman. In the mid 60’s through the 70’s they were the best you could get back then. They still cut very good when sharp, and were the ultimate “thin kerf” blade back in the day (being hollow ground). I have a couple that I still use, just can’t seem to let them go as they were the apex of H.S.S. blades before carbide tipped technology went affordably mainstream.