PDA

View Full Version : William Ng Crosscut Sled...

Derek Arita
03-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Jut made a William Ng version crosscut sled and love it. I watched the build on Youtube and did my best to follow Ng's instructions to the "T". Much to my surprise, I got within .001" over 24" on the fifth cut, after only one adjustment! I've never had this kind of accuracy and I've always had to make several adjustments just to arrive at a reasonably well adjusted sled, but never this well adjusted.
I had to watch the video several times to understand everything, but boy does it work well. I did have to shim my laminated fence with packing tape, in order to get it as close to dead flat as possible, using a Veritas sraight ede and some fealer gauges. I'm so glad I found the video and took the time to do this. Now I know my crosscuts will be pretty much dead square.

John Schweikert
03-09-2014, 1:55 PM
I built one a year or so ago and am just as pleased with an equally accurate setup, sub .001" per foot.

What I have done since then is cut several 1 foot long acrylic triangles which are great for squaring and truing other tools or during builds. Same thing with some 3/4" ply to create dead-on corner clamping braces for gluing cases and such. The sled becomes a tool to make other accurate tools.

Derek Arita
03-09-2014, 2:49 PM
I built one a year or so ago and am just as pleased with an equally accurate setup, sub .001" per foot.

What I have done since then is cut several 1 foot long acrylic triangles which are great for squaring and truing other tools or during builds. Same thing with some 3/4" ply to create dead-on corner clamping braces for gluing cases and such. The sled becomes a tool to make other accurate tools.
Corner clamping braces...great idea. Never even thought of that. I've been looking for Ng's miter sled tutorial that he mentioned in the video, but can't find it. Have you seen it?

Ray Newman
03-09-2014, 5:14 PM
Derek Arita: is this the video you mentioned?? -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbG-n--LFgQ

Jon Middleton
03-09-2014, 6:16 PM
That's the one. I wonder why he glued up plywood for his fence instead of milling up 8/4 hard maple? That should be as flat as a glue up. That's the next sled I'll be making. I need a single runner sled for panels, too.

Derek Arita
03-09-2014, 7:24 PM
I have to admit, I did try a test sled with a an old fence and sled. I found that a flat fence, a solid wood stop (the stop used to position the fence during adjustments) and accurate measurements for for A, B, L and D are essential. Once I got those things going, one try was all it took for the real sled.
I think Ng uses glue ups for the fences to keep costs down. I made my reference flat slab out of poplar and again, even after jointing, I had to use tape to shim that jointed slab to dead flat.

Michael Mahan
03-09-2014, 11:21 PM
:) That's a Great Video , thanX for posting

Frederick Skelly
03-10-2014, 7:08 AM
That was helpful. Thanks for posting it!
Fred