PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bradford Pear Salad Bowls

Thomas Canfield
03-09-2014, 8:28 AM
Here are 2 Bradford Pear salad bowls that I just finished. The finish is 3 coats of Grapeseed oil liberally wiped on, let set 5 min or so, wiped off after initial sanding to 400 grit. I did buff with my Tripoli buff wheel to remove dust before applying oil, but did not charge the wheel. The bowls were originally rough turned in Tyler almost 3 years back from a large score of Bradford Pear trees removed from an office complex. I only wish I had more of the large size pieces. The larger diameter is 14.5 x 13.5 oval lip x3.5"H with about 1/4" wall, and the other is 12.5" D x 5"Hx3/8" wall. I had originally intended to remove most of the oval lip to leave just handles, but the oval looked too nice to remove. As you can see, the BP makes beautiful salad bowls and is a close grain that takes oil well an can be maintained so keep your eyes out for some.

Bill Hensley
03-09-2014, 9:38 AM
Nice bowls, like the wood. I've not turned much of it. Looks like I'll have plenty to turn in the near future as a result of the ice storm.

Thomas Canfield
03-09-2014, 8:20 PM
Nice bowls, like the wood. I've not turned much of it. Looks like I'll have plenty to turn in the near future as a result of the ice storm.

Bill, That was the main reason for posting. Here is a post form 2011 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?172090-Bradford-Pear-Salad-Bowls&highlight= that shows several others. I also like to make some long oval natural edge without bark BP bowls/platters that allows making up to the lathe max diameter out of a smaller diameter section, or getting 3 or more blanks out of a really large diameter tree section. I like to try for L= 1.5W or so. Save back some of the smaller diameter BP pieces also for hollow forms, rough turning to remove bark and seal ends, and/or cut some thick pith slabs for end grain work.

Dennis Ford
03-09-2014, 9:03 PM
Nice work on the bowl Thomas. Bradford pear is really nice wood for functional bowls and is also a good material for pyro work.

Bill Hensley
03-10-2014, 7:49 AM
Thomas thanks for the info. I have something new to look forward to. Too bad you're not closer, we could stock you up.

Richard Jones
03-10-2014, 9:28 AM
Nice bowls! I love Bradford pear, makes great bowls, utensils, and even threads pretty well with some shellac strengthener........... Thanks for sharing.

i came through Davidson County on I-85 Saturday and Sunday. What a mess........ Should be a glut of woodturning wood for quite a while........ Bittersweet, I'm sure.

Marc Himes
03-10-2014, 9:46 AM
Very nice salad bowls. I have never had a chance to turn Bradford Pear but it looks like a great wood.