PDA

View Full Version : Knife sharpening attachment for Worksharp WS2000 experience?

Jerry Olexa
03-08-2014, 2:59 PM
Understand Worksharp has a knife sharpening attachment for its WS2000 unit...My wife is requesting a sharpening of our kitchen, cooking knives...The cost of this attachment I believe is under $50. My concern is the effectiveness of ths add-on vs. other methods...Have any of you had experience or owned this knife sharpening device? You thoughts will guide me on whether I purchase or pursue another method. Cost is minimal but want to be prudent before plunging in...Let me know your thoughts, opinions...Thank you all in advance..

Ronald Blue
03-08-2014, 10:44 PM
I have saw the knife sharpener demonstrated several times at the Woodworking show. I would buy the self contained unit as I think it's the same money and much simpler to use. Plus it doesn't tie up the WS or require the current setup to be altered. You can sharpen a knife quickly and easily. Just an instance where the dedicated tool outshines an attachment. My .02 worth.

Paul Wunder
03-09-2014, 10:31 AM
I own and have used the knife sharpening attachment for the WS2000 for several years. It is set up on a dedicated basis since I also have a WS3000 available.

We use the knife sharpener strictly for kitchen knifes and my wife loves the results. She has a nice set of Wusthof knives and I used the WS on all of them after the knives had gone about 10 years without being sharpened. Each blade took but just a few minutes and they cut like new. It was very easy to do. Occasionally we freshen them up using the 3000 grit belt supplied. We still use the same belts.

I originally bought the WS2000 for my shop but was also able to pickup a WS3000 new from Home Depot for $62.50 during an advertising promotion.

Bill Huber
03-09-2014, 10:45 AM
The knife sharpener for the WS2000 is like $35 and it works just fine. I had one for my 2000 before I sold it and got the 3000. The only thing I had a little problem with using it, you are pulling the knife down which is not normal to me.

I now have the stand alone sharpener like Ronald was talking about and I like it, it does cost twice as much like $70. It is easy to use and does a very good job and sharping a knife.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/WS2000-Knife-Sharpening-Attachment-P260C68.aspx

Jerry Olexa
03-09-2014, 3:58 PM
Thanks guys for your input....Just ordered the knife sharpening kit and an extra supply of belts...The reviews also looked very good...Only negative was the frequency of having to buy replacement belts...Thanks for your help.

Ronald Blue
03-09-2014, 6:17 PM
One thing when watching the demos the guy mentioned doing was even when the belt is worn out it will still work well to put the final edge on it functioning like a buffer to remove the wire edge.