PDA

View Full Version : Jorg Cabinetmaster Clamps

Bruce Foley
05-20-2003, 3:21 PM
Hi guys:

Just got the OK from LOML to get my Clamp-Day... I mean Fathers Day gift. Not so stealth gloat, I guess.

Been looking at the Jorgies instead of the K Body based upon an article in Wood mag, I think. Am going to get four. What would everyone's first priority be the 36" or the 48"?? Will eventually need both but do have the typical pipe clamp and tradesman collection. Will use on furniture and casework. Any preferences out there?

:)

Bruce Foley

Dave Avery
05-20-2003, 3:40 PM
I use the 24" and 31" Bessey's more than the longer ones.

Mike Leonard
05-20-2003, 3:52 PM
Try this site: http://www.redmond-machinery.com/gross-stabil.htm

They have the Gross-Stabil clamps on sale. I had to call the toll free number to order them as their web site is not real user friendly especially when it comes to placing an order.

I was going to buy some Bessey K-Body's but even with shipping these were cheaper. I bought 4 of the 40", with shipping it came out to 33.75 per clamp. The 40" K-Bodies are $40.00 locally. These are good solid clamps. I am happy with them.

Dave Anderson NH
05-20-2003, 4:04 PM
These puppies are truly heavy duty and heavy to boot. Unless you need the 48" one which actually open up to 50"+, I'd go for the 36", which also open wider than listed. Because of the weight, buy only what you're likely to use. I've found that the wider jaws are useful on some occasions, but all in all they are to be considered a Bessey "or equal".

Ken Salisbury
05-20-2003, 4:09 PM
I use my 24" and 36" K Bodys much much more than the 40" ones. So if you are just are just starting your "Bessey Collection" I would begin with the shorter versions. You can always use pipe clamps for longer clamps until your Bessy Money Can grows.

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-20-2003, 7:31 PM
I don't like the Bessey clamps because the handle's too small...which is the primary reason I tried the Jorgensens. I've NEVER gotten the hang of the Bessey sliding mechanism, and once I do get it moving, I often have trouble getting it to catch again. I've got two of them, and have problems with both. I also have trouble with the Jorgensens sometimes, but not as much.

They're both good for situations where you need the reach or depth of the larger head, but the 'parallel clamping' hype is overrated. For light panel and general purpose gluing, you'll get a whole lot more bang for your buck with a 3/4 Pony...and for large panels, I still don't think you can beat the Jorgensen I-Bar.

KC

Jim Becker
05-20-2003, 9:01 PM
I'm also a Bessey K-body user and have been pleased. I looked at the Jorgensen (and GS) but couldn't find any significant reason to "switch", especially since it's easier to use them when they are matched. KC does bring up a good point about sliding the heads...until you learn the little quirks, they can be a little frustrating.

At any rate, I find that I use my 24" clamps the most...in fact the dozen or so I have are not nearly enough any more. Next show I"ll be stocking up on some more. I also have 40" and 60" K-Bodys and find I need more of the latter for some cabinetry projects. So whatever you buy, consider your normal projects and buy a number of the size that you will benefit from the most. 24" are that for me, although 30" might be a good compromise between the 24" and 40" clamps. Having them too long can be a safety issue...and I have proof of that on my forehead!

Paul Kunkel
05-20-2003, 9:35 PM
Originally posted by Dave Anderson NH
These puppies are truly heavy duty and heavy to boot. Unless you need the 48" one which actually open up to 50"+, I'd go for the 36", which also open wider than listed. Because of the weight, buy only what you're likely to use. I've found that the wider jaws are useful on some occasions, but all in all they are to be considered a Bessey "or equal".
I've got 10 or 12 of the 36" Jorgi I- bars and are usually my clamp of choice for panels and RP door assembly. They're strong, fast, & indestructable.

Ed Marks
05-20-2003, 9:35 PM
I have a collections of bessy clamps and have been less than pleased with them. The biggest beef is that the slide catch mechanism is not always cooperative. Also, while they appear quite strong they are not as beefy as they seem sometimes. I think this is due to the shallowness of the slide bar catches. For general stuff they work fine, but under a lot of stress they do off things. The attached bent lamination glue up is something they did not handle very well. I used the Wetzler clamps instead and they did just fine. If all you plan to do is cabinets and generally square furniture they are probably fine; but my feeling is why buy something with limits if there is an equal cost item that does more.

BTW, don't buy really long clamps unless you plan to always need them that long. Pipe clamps are inexpensive, expandable, and work just fine for really long stuff.

Bruce Foley
05-21-2003, 12:04 AM
I really appreciate the collective wisdom of the Creek and all who chimed in. I've settled on the 36-inchers and ordered them this evening.

I probably should've went to the 30" but I do need a new scar on my forehead from the longer ones. I think Dave A. may have created a rite of passage blood oath to clamp collecting! It should be celebrated each Clamp(Father's) Day. Wow I'm getting the Rod Peterson obsession. Gotta Get a Grip soon.........:D

Thanks again,
Bruce Foley

Bruce Foley
05-21-2003, 12:14 AM
Sorry Dave,

I mean't to give credit to Jim B. as he might be the one to start a clamp tradition of bleeding all over them.

I like the idea as I spend more time trying to get blood sanded out of wood after dripping during that crucial glue-up- and misery loves company. Ahh-- never mind, I get too enthusiastic when I buy tools. I guess it really shows how boring one's life is, if he gets all excited about parting with mucho dollars for a few tools. Hmmm...

Bruce

Dave Avery
05-21-2003, 7:01 AM
It's OK Bruce, I've gouged my head too.... I'm just not as forthright as Becker about it ;) . Dave.

Jim Becker
05-21-2003, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Foley
I meant to give credit to Jim B. as he might be the one to start a clamp tradition of bleeding all over them.

I can hardly be the father of the bloody clamp syndrome...If I can do it in my minuscule 5 years of woodworking, I'm sure that throughout history, many folks have worn the badge of honor from the same or similar incidents of "not paying attention"...:D

That being said, and on a more serious note, had I not been wearing safety glasses, I might have seriously injured my right eye. The end of a clamp over extended from a project glue-up smacked hard into the lens of those glasses and glanced up to my eyebrow/forehead/temple as I stood up from working on something down near the floor. It hurt big time...and was not pretty as that area tends to bleed profusely from even a mere scratch. Fortunately, the damage was minor and the scar really is not visible. The lesson learned...pay attention to the details of your surroundings and use clamps that are the right size for the job!

Bart Leetch
05-21-2003, 9:42 AM
But Jim it appears that the clamp was the right size for you & it fit perfectly.

Jim Becker
05-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Bart Leetch
But Jim it appears that the clamp was the right size for you & it fit perfectly.

K-bodies really don't make very good hair bands to keep one's ponytail in place...a little too heavy, especially since most of my hair is a lot farther back on my head than it originally was... :D

Ted Shrader
05-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Foley
. . . Been looking at the Jorgies instead of the K Body based upon an article in Wood mag, I think. Am going to get four. What would everyone's first priority be the 36" or the 48"?? Will eventually need both but do have the typical pipe clamp and tradesman collection. Will use on furniture and casework. Any preferences out there?
Bruce Foley

Bruce -

I have heard that Jorgensen's entry into this specific clamp area is a good choice. I have Bessey's and Gross-Stabil. I use the 24" and 31" versions the most. I have Bessey's up to 50" and there are longer ones.

Point is, pipe clamps can always be expanded easily and inexpensively for those occasions where longer is required. The shorter Besseys/G-S/Jorg with their square jaws are great for clamping up panels, doors, boxes, etc.

My recommendation - go with the shorter ones for now. Add on later.

Ted