PDA

View Full Version : PATINA show next weekend

Jeff Bartley
03-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Hi Folks,
I just learned that the PATINA show in Damascus, MD is next Saturday, the 15th. Anyone here ever gone? It's a two hour drive so I'm not sure it's in the cards for me. Is it worth it? The website says over 50 dealers will be there so it sounds like any and every tool will be available!

Tom M King
03-08-2014, 2:29 PM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm going be close to there next week anyway.

Paul Saffold
03-08-2014, 2:39 PM
It's about 1 hr 15 min for me according to google. I've never been so will give it a try. I could do a lot worse than spending time with tool perverts.

Isaac Smith
03-08-2014, 2:44 PM
Definitely worth it if you enjoy looking at or buying old tools. It's one of the bigger tool events in the area. You probably can find just about anything you might want (unless you really need it, and then it will never turn up).

Tailgating starts at 0-dark-thirty (remember a flashlight or headlamp), and is probably worth the drive by itself. It's a close call as to whether there are more tools for sale inside or out.

Paul Incognito
03-08-2014, 4:02 PM
Like Isaac said! If you're looking to buy or sell tools, definitely worth it!
I've gone for the past 3 or 4 years, and plan on going again on Saturday. The tailgating is probably as big as the inside sales.
Paul

john davey
03-08-2014, 4:13 PM
I have been before and was planning on going this year but work screwed me and i have to work next Sat. I might try to get there at 6:30am and spend an hour or so before work. From what I have seen it is a little more collector based inside and true trunk sales outside. There are some deals inside as well though. The rule is to get there early cause the outside guys that have anything of value sell them off early and quick. Of course it depends on what you are looking for....

David Nelson1
03-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Looks like I'm getting up early. Ain't been in Damascus since the early 7O's.

Tony Zaffuto
03-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Been going for years, though 2013 was the first I missed in a long while. I'm planning on being there, though I won't arrive on "Issac time"!

(and no, it is not worth it, just a bunch of tools, not a single painted saw or sock monkey to be found anywhere!)

Chris Griggs
03-11-2014, 3:27 PM
I'm heading out there with Paul....Gonna have to get up at 4am at the absolute latest to make it out to Paul's in Delaware by 5am so we can than make the drive out to MD. That's gonna hurt...I better skip happy hour this Friday.

john davey
03-12-2014, 3:45 AM
I got work to let me come in at 9:00 so I will be there at sun up and have to leave at 8:30 as I work about a half hour away. I always like rummaging through the outdoor venders stuff more than inside anyway...

Paul Incognito
03-12-2014, 6:02 AM
Stop by and say Hi. Look for the ugliest van in the lot. The one with the "Paul's Woodshop" signs on it.
Paul

Matthew Dunne
03-12-2014, 3:23 PM
I've gotten there several times around 10:00 am or later, and there were still plenty of nice tools at decent prices, both inside and from tailgating. Highly recommended.

Tony Zaffuto
03-12-2014, 3:55 PM
I've gotten there several times around 10:00 am or later, and there were still plenty of nice tools at decent prices, both inside and from tailgating. Highly recommended.

Some of the best buys occur when everyone moves inside and the outside guys start knocking down and don't want to pack back all those heavy tools!!

john davey
03-15-2014, 10:55 PM
I managed to spend an hour today at PATINA. Was able to grab a nice Rebate (SP) plane and a saw vice that was hand made many years ago but really well done. I know no pics never happened. Ill try to post them tomorrow. For me I thought there was a nice amount of tools this year. This was the first time I arrived before 7:00 so maybe that had something to do with it. All in all as usual I had a good time and left with some nice stuff and still had some cash in my pockets :)...

Steve Voigt
03-15-2014, 11:10 PM
I managed to spend an hour today at PATINA. Was able to grab a nice Rebate (SP) plane and a saw vice that was hand made many years ago but really well done. I know no pics never happened. Ill try to post them tomorrow. For me I thought there was a nice amount of tools this year. This was the first time I arrived before 7:00 so maybe that had something to do with it. All in all as usual I had a good time and left with some nice stuff and still had some cash in my pockets :)...

Cool! Jeff Bartley and I made the trip from VA and had a good ole time. I only got a couple things, but the Stanley no.18 bevel gauge was a really nice score. Might have to have a little ceremony and take a sledgehammer to my POS bevel gauge that's been tormenting me for years.
Got to meet Isaac S., Chris G., and Paul I. Wish I could have met some more of y'all that were there!

Chris Griggs
03-16-2014, 9:39 AM
Yep...lots of fun yesterday. Paul and I and arrived around 7am and setup a table. We both recouped some cash selling off tools we no longer use. I wandered around the other tailgate booths for a while. I wasn't planning on buying anything but I've been wanting to get into woodies lately, so I just couldn't pass up this beautiful 22" try plane or this gorgeous 26" jointer for $20 bucks a piece:eek:.

The try is a Scioto with an Ohio blade/cap iron and the 26" jointer is a Owwasco with a Buck blade/cap ion. Awesome planes, and I'm really looking forward to putting them to use.

Would have liked to find an equally nice $20 16-18" fore plane but every one of those I ran across was beat to hell...and surprisingly there weren't many (they go cheap on bay though so I'll pick one up later on). Its funny what was/is there/plentiful and what wasn't. For example, there were several very very nice large wooden jointers actually, but oddly there wasn't a decent wooden fore plane to be found..and things like Bailey 4s that you would expect to be over flowing were scarce to.

The guy I bought the try plane from had an immaculate 26" continental jointer and what must have been a 28" razee jointer as well...each in fantastic condition and each only $40...that continental was tough to pass on.

I'll definitely be back next year to earn and spend some money.

Anyway, it was great to meet in person and chat with Jeff B, Steve V, Issac S of Blackburn (awesome looking saws BTW), Paul Saffold, and David Nelson. Really had a lot of fun! Wish there had been time to mingle with all of you.

Tony Zaffuto
03-16-2014, 2:14 PM
Where was your table Chris?

I managed about 4 to 5 hours outside and in! Arrived before 7:00 AM and immediately came across items on my list outside: 1/4", 1/2" & 3/4" dado woodies. Not matched and the guy want $40 a piece. Thought I would stroll around and see if I could find any others (didn't) and upon returning to the dealer, they were all gone.

Items on my list: another small anvil for the accumulation! Five saws (3 cross-cuts, 1 rip and 1 tenon rip backsaw) from the late Tom Law accumulation and a new, very old stone for that accumulation. That stone is in a slightly crude white oak case (the mounting on the inside is the crude part) and is a natural stone. Cuts extremely fast and appears a bit coarser on the scratch pattern than a modern medium India on O1. Much further study needed on this one, but early indications are it will be much appreciated in my shop in the coming years.

All in all, I would say the was the best PATINA gathering I've been to, except for the feelings of remorse towards buying of the saws from Tom Law's family. Tom was a friend I made well over a dozen years ago through the woodworking community. He was also involved in the Civil War community (study of that war in another of my interests).

Paul Saffold
03-16-2014, 4:03 PM
I met Chris & Paul I., thanks to the sign on Paul's truck. Chris' woodies looked pretty nice. I wore my SMC hat, but realized like me, others were looking down at tools rather than at faces. I also enjoyed talking to Issac at Blackburn Tools. Bought a carbide bit for drilling saw plates from him. Picked up 2 hatchets to modify for spoon carving. The outside prices were much better after the auction building opened as Tony mentioned earlier. Tom Law's son was outside and daughter inside selling his saws. All sharpened by Tom. He must have had quite a stash of saws completed before he passed away. Their prices were very reasonable for straight and sharp saws. Some were in need of minor horn repair, but still very usable saws. I enjoyed the day and expect to return another year.
Paul

Chris Griggs
03-16-2014, 4:19 PM
Where was your table Chris?

Near the end of the lot....the end that would be on your left if you were facing the lot with your back to the armory. About two down from the truck with the giant Lobster on it. I had a Woodriver 6 I was trying to sell (still available, BTW) a few jack planes (couple transnationals and a vintage footprint), a couple oil stones, and a few other odds and ends. We were setup in front of the van that said Paul's Woodshop on the side. If you were out there I'm sure you must have stopped by, without knowing who we were.

Tony Zaffuto
03-16-2014, 4:24 PM
I met Chris & Paul I., thanks to the sign on Paul's truck. Chris' woodies looked pretty nice. I wore my SMC hat, but realized like me, others were looking down at tools rather than at faces. I also enjoyed talking to Issac at Blackburn Tools. Bought a carbide bit for drilling saw plates from him. Picked up 2 hatchets to modify for spoon carving. The outside prices were much better after the auction building opened as Tony mentioned earlier. Tom Law's son was outside and daughter inside selling his saws. All sharpened by Tom. He must have had quite a stash of saws completed before he passed away. Their prices were very reasonable for straight and sharp saws. Some were in need of minor horn repair, but still very usable saws. I enjoyed the day and expect to return another year.
Paul

Tom's daughter was with him about three years ago, selling saws. A used tool dealer rushed to the daughter's booth upon opening and literally was grabbing saws. I assume he will have them listed on the "vintage tool" portion of his new tool site, as he has sold some of Tom's saws in the past, often with language alluding to their long friendship. I will not mention the name on a public forum, but I bet his prices are 3, 4 or 5 times (if not more) than what Law's son, daughter and wife (she was there also) were selling the tools for. I don't begrudge anyone making a profit, however don't act as the original owner was a friend, almost seeming as if you were doing the family a favor.

Paul Incognito
03-16-2014, 4:53 PM
It was indeed a good time! Great to meet Dave, Paul, Jeff and Steve! Sorry we didn't find each other, Tony, would have been nice to neet you.
It was kind of crazy, we got there at about 6:45, still dark out. As soon as I got the back doors of the van opened we were swarmed with guys with flashlights. I think $50.00 changed hands before I even had a table set up! Fun stuff, I enjoyed talking to people all day. Chris says I have a future as a carney, still not sure how to thake that...
The Other Paul

Tony Zaffuto
03-16-2014, 5:33 PM
Next year, I will have a ball cap, with built-in LED lights like many did in the pre-dawn hours! Or maybe, I'll track down a good old carbide miner's light!

It is amazing how good the grill fires & bacon and/or burgers smell that early in the day!

Jeff Bartley
03-17-2014, 8:40 AM
It was indeed a good time! The armory was almost overwhelming there were so many tools to see. It was awesome to meet you guys, may be next year we should set up a 'sawmill creek' table? I had hoped to find an R. Groves & Sons tenon saw but bought a George Bishop instead. My big score was thanks to Chris G........he gave me a #5 Stanley! Thanks again Chris!
Now I'm looking forward to a shop visit with Steve V., I can't wait to try out some of the woodies he's made.....may be he'll post a pic of that sweet lookin jointer he just finished.......

David Weaver
03-17-2014, 8:59 AM
I will not mention the name on a public forum, but I bet his prices are 3, 4 or 5 times (if not more) than what Law's son, daughter and wife (she was there also) were selling the tools for. I don't begrudge anyone making a profit, however don't act as the original owner was a friend, almost seeming as if you were doing the family a favor.

There seem to be a lot of tool flippers who think "oh, it's just business". It's almost as if it's pro wrestling, and everyone is looking for a gimmick to sell. We do know which sellers are straight up, like Walt, and Eddie (Clint) Jones was (where did he go?), josh seems straight up, and larry meeker has seemed pretty genuine to me when I've talked to him (though he specializes in patented tools, which isn't something I get much of). Most of the rest of the folks remind me of pawn brokers and carnival promoters.

george wilson
03-17-2014, 9:08 AM
I was committed to taking 3 others to the Baltimore Gun Show. Not like I need any more tools!! At least I got a nice Colt Root revolver that has a worn finish,but has not been fired,and in fine mechanical shape.

john davey
03-19-2014, 9:53 AM
Damn, I was at your table and even said hello to someone while I was looking at the woodriver plane. Like everyone else I didn't really pick my head up to make eye contact as i was ooggling all of the tools. And it is funny cause I was looking for Paul's van and as I left I wondered if that stupid lobster distracted me :). Sorry I missed you. I was the grey haired guy in the NY Giants sweatshirt if you remember that....

Near the end of the lot....the end that would be on your left if you were facing the lot with your back to the armory. About two down from the truck with the giant Lobster on it. I had a Woodriver 6 I was trying to sell (still available, BTW) a few jack planes (couple transnationals and a vintage footprint), a couple oil stones, and a few other odds and ends. We were setup in front of the van that said Paul's Woodshop on the side. If you were out there I'm sure you must have stopped by, without knowing who we were.

john davey
03-19-2014, 10:01 AM
OK, here are the pics I promised finally:

Plane was marked $20 and I got it for $17. Saw vice was marked $25 and gave $20. Not sure if either is a great deal but I am happy and I guess that is all that really matters.