PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear and more available

Bill Hensley
03-08-2014, 9:02 AM
We are just coming off of a major ice storm in my area of Davidson County, NC. Probably the worst I've ever experienced. It was compounded with windy weather. Sounded like a small war was going on with the trees cracking, popping and then a boom when the section hit the ground. Power was out for 14 hours and I suspect we are the lucky ones.

Finally got out and took a ride around the area yesterday afternoon and it looks bad. Looks like maybe 1 in 10 Bradfords survived. Saw a lot Birch broken also and other varieties as well.

If you are close by I'm sure you will have no problem getting a load of wood.

Like everyone else I'll start the cleanup today, at least it's suppose to be spring like next few days. The good news is I don't have any Bradfords.

Roger Feeley
03-08-2014, 9:45 AM
That brings back memories. I had two Bradfords in my front yard and hated them. I was always afraid I would put my eye out mowing the lawn. Finally an ice storm split one down the middle. My wife went on some errands and I told her that I would have the tree down by the time she got back. When she returned both trees were in a pile. She look confused. I told her that the saw 'slipped'.

My one regret was that I didn't save some of that wood so I could make a toilet seat. I could have expressed my dislike for those trees daily.

Stephen Musial
03-08-2014, 9:52 AM
They've been declared invasive by the Missouri Dept of Conservation because more and more are bearing fruit and when the birds eat the fruit they disperse the seeds which then crowd out native plants. Good riddance to bad trash.

Mel Fulks
03-08-2014, 10:49 AM
There is a newer variety of the pear that doesn't have as many low forks and is not so prone to storm damage. Pear wood has been prized for a long time.

charlie knighton
03-08-2014, 6:57 PM
pear wood is my choice for pyro work, its like cherry but does not darken, check gallery tomorrow morning, if I can figure out new windows 8 and photos on new setup

robert baccus
03-08-2014, 10:31 PM
I love B. pear trees. A storm will come through about every 5 years and I get to replenish my supply. But not in my backyard. Great turning wood.

Thomas Canfield
03-08-2014, 10:53 PM
I wish I could be getting some of the large BP. I scored some large sections about 4 years back when living in Tyler, TX and now can't find anything over about 8 or 10" here in Fbg when you can even find that. The larger sections twice turned make some really nice salad bowls, having made from 12 to 19"D, using an oil soak finish. You can't buy wood like that but just have to be lucky and find it.

Bill Hensley
03-09-2014, 9:34 AM
I just picked up some really large trunk sections of BP a couple of weeks ago. Out in my truck with the dog and saw tree service taking down 2 in a guys front yard. Stopped and asked if I could get some and owner agreed. Tree service guys help me load it.

Getting some nice maple from my neighbor, one fell across our driveways and he took down another yesterday because it was leaning pretty bad.

Marty Baucom
03-09-2014, 1:15 PM
I also live in Davidson County and have never seen so many Bradford Pear trees destroyed from Fridays ice storm. Some looked as if a stake had been driving down the center of the trunk from above and the tree splayed open on the ground. There will be weeks of cleanup in my area.

Bill Hensley
03-09-2014, 8:10 PM
Yep Marty, I was out and about today and noticed the very same thing.

I was hoping I would come across a big Holly laid over. Only saw some branches.

So much good wood out there you could get for the asking but I'm good for a long while.

Jason Ritchie
03-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Hey Bill, is there any left? I've been in Florida the past week but will be back in town Sunday. I'm over in Salisbury. Wish I had my truck and saw down here. Lots of Palm and a few Banyan trees cut up by the curb. I talked my wife into letting me put a small chunk of banyan into the trunk but that's all I could get away with.

Bill Hensley
03-15-2014, 8:06 AM
Everything is slowly getting cleaned up but I'm still seeing a lot of wood stacked in yards. Kinda like come and get it.

Come to the area between Welcome and Midway and cruise around, you'll find a load.