PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on a good saw or what

Larry Blighton
03-08-2014, 3:12 AM
So after looking for a saw for a few days now I think I have found this deal,
just waiting to hear back from the seller What do you think about this saw. orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/4363715909.html

Charles Lent
03-08-2014, 6:14 AM
Looks like a good deal on a clean saw. The motor should be the dual horsepower one. It will produce 1.5 hp on 120 volt power, but if you change it over to 240 volt power it will produce 2 full hp. Delta did this to provide a saw that would run on a 20 amp 120 volt circuit on a jobsite, but could provide more power when located in a workshop and run from 240 volts. We have an older version of this saw, a 34-444 and it has been a very good saw. The biggest problem with this type of saw is that it is nearly impossible to control the sawdust, since the frame is very open. There are fabric bags available to catch the sawdust that falls straight down, but the rest tends to go where it wants to. However, the saw itself is as accurate as a Unisaw. For the price you aren't likely to find a better table saw for general use. Most spare parts for it are still available from ereplacements.com.

Charley

Steve Rozmiarek
03-08-2014, 11:31 AM
I agree, great little saws. My first tablesaw, not counting the shopsmith, was one like it. It never let me down, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. You can also close in the base with ply or something, and sort of get decent dust collection. With enough air flow, it actually does pretty good.

Myk Rian
03-08-2014, 11:59 AM
With all the pictures the seller posted, I would say he's proud of that saw.
$300? Yep. Try for less though.

Robert Meyer
03-08-2014, 6:29 PM
I sold my old one with the same fence, a slew of nearly new Freud blades and a cross cut sled for $200 to a newbie woodworker. He and his wife spent close to 4 hours in my garage shop learning the saw's operation and a million other woodworking details. I was happy to help them get into a great hobby. They somehow managed to get the whole kit into their little Yaris and themselves also.

Give the seller the $300 and demand hands on training for it's use. You can make some nice furniture with this saw - I did.

Joe Kieve
03-08-2014, 7:00 PM
I sold mine about 3 years ago. Bought it for $300, used it for about 15 years, and sold it for what I paid. You may be able to get it for a little less but it's a good saw and will serve you well. I had mine wired for 220 and can't think of a time that I ever bogged it down.

That saw is pretty heavy, so take some help when you load it.

scott spencer
03-08-2014, 7:04 PM
That's a winner at that price.

Larry Blighton
03-08-2014, 7:16 PM
Thanks for the comments, they have help me alot.

Larry Blighton
03-09-2014, 6:09 AM
ok so I was looking at a Delta table saw but was told that it sold, I have found another much closer to me and would like to know if this is a good deal.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-09-2014, 2:10 PM
Larry, that's too much money for that Jet saw. It is worth less than the Delta. Actual Biesemeyer increases the price on the Delta, the Xatca is a good fence, but not as well built as the Bies. IF they included the router lift, maybe 350-400 (in my area) but unless your area is radically different, he's not even close on price.

Larry Blighton
03-13-2014, 1:43 PM
Larry, that's too much money for that Jet saw. It is worth less than the Delta. Actual Biesemeyer increases the price on the Delta, the Xatca is a good fence, but not as well built as the Bies. IF they included the router lift, maybe 350-400 (in my area) but unless your area is radically different, he's not even close on price.

Well after talking some more with the guy selling the Delta he is still not including the router lift and wont budge on the $500 price tag so I moved on.

...... and

I think I have found a winner…... 10” delta contractor’s saw model # 36-477. It is listed at $250 but it is missing a
few parts so I think that I can get it for about $175.

It is missing the Fence, blade guard and splitter, right side table extension, however it does come with a mobile base and extenstion legs.

I am going to go look at it and listen to it today.

What do you think.

scott spencer
03-13-2014, 2:33 PM
Without a fence or blade guard, I'd think $150 is fair if it's in nice shape....$250 might be a fair price if it included those items, depending on what fence. Those are significant omissions, and make for good bartering points. You'll likely need to spend at least $180 for a fence like a Delta T2, and possibly another $30-$75 for a blade guard to make it complete.

Larry Blighton
03-13-2014, 4:04 PM
That is right about where I thought was a fair price for it.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-13-2014, 7:15 PM
If you don't mind a little tinkering to save some bucks, sounds to me like you have a good lead. I agree with Scott, and for a fence there are plenty of options, new and used.

Charles Lent
03-14-2014, 7:38 AM
Make certain that the blade rises and tilts correctly and it will run and cut wood. If it does and the table isn't rust pitted (thin surface rust can be removed) then it's probably worth $150. Also make certain that the motor is the original 1 1/2 - 2 hp motor. It produces 1 1/2 hp on 120 volts and 2 hp on 240 volts. You are going to easily spend another $300 or so getting a fence, insert, guard, miter fence, etc. for it, and a bunch of work to fix it up. That first Delta saw will seem like a real bargain when you get this one ready to go.

A very clean and complete Delta Contractors saw has been listed on NCWoodworker.com for $375. If you are located within driving distance of Raleigh, NC this one might be a good one for you. You should update your profile to show where you live. We might be able to help you better this way.

Charley

scott spencer
03-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Did you happen to spot this Ridgid 3650 for $330?
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/4370956179.html

Or this PM63 with no fence for $80? A nice fence and some wings would make this a pretty slick setup.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/tls/4372584228.html

Larry Blighton
03-15-2014, 5:24 PM
ok so after talking to the wife she really wants me to get a new saw, so with a
budget of $600 to $700 what contractor saw would you buy. The only real caveats
are not enough room for a 50” fence and it has to be 110V.
Please give me your susgestions even if they are a little over my budget.
Thanks

Charles Lent
03-16-2014, 5:43 PM
Go to Lowes and look at the new Delta Contractor Saw. It hasn't been out very long and it's considerably different than the original Delta design, but it looks very good to me, and at $599 it's a fair price, but I don't know anyone who has this saw yet so I can't advise on it's quality. It does look really good though. Then look at the other contractor table saws that are available. If you are buying new I think you will be buying the Delta.

Charley