PDA

View Full Version : Holdfast holes vs bench dog holes

Frederick Skelly
03-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Hi guys,
Im getting ready to drill a few 3/4" holes for bench dogs in my 2 3/4" thick bench top (per my earlier thread). The holes will go all the way through and be (hopefully) perpendicular to the top.

Ive been reading the archives and Id like to try the Grammercy holdfasts. I wanted to check with you folks on two things.
1. Will they work in the perpendicular holes Im drilling for bench dogs? Or do the holes for hold fasts require a different angle? (I ask because some of the cutaway pictures Ive seen look like the holes are not perpendicular.)
2. Will the Grammercys damage bench dog holes over time? I got the impression they go easy on your dog holes, but I dont know if they still cause damage.

Thanks guys,
Fred

Pete Hotard
03-07-2014, 11:49 PM
I was in your situation about a month ago. Bought the grammercy holdfasts and they have performed wonderfully. I used a plunge router with a 3/4" plunge bit to cut my holes. Then chucked a chamfer bit and put maybe a 1/8" chamfer around the top edge of each hole. Also remember to attach a sacrificial board under where you are drilling to prevent tear out on the bottom of your holes. I use my holdfasts every day and they seat with one blow and have done zero damage to the holes or bench top.

Paul Erickson
03-08-2014, 1:13 AM
Hi Fred,

I too have the Grammercy holdfasts and have had no problems with dog hold damage. One thing I did have to do because I use them in the legs of my bench as well, and the legs are about 8" thick, I had to rough up the surface of the holdfast with a bit of course sandpaper, and they grip on all situations just fine.

cheers, Paul

Jim Koepke
03-08-2014, 2:29 AM
I think the splitting possibilities will depend on the species of wood. My current bench is beach (iirc) and has a tendency to split along the front rail.

Perpendicular holes will work fine.

For the holdfasts you may want a row away from the edge. The holdfasts tend to get in the way if they are right up on the edge where you are trying to hold the work.

Holdfasts also come in handy to secure battens or backer pieces when doing some quick planing against a dog.

jtk