PDA

View Full Version : SawStop accessories

Bill Sutherland
03-07-2014, 10:36 PM
I've got a new SawStop heading my way next week and wondered what accessories are worth purchasing. I've got a Shopsmith but haven't used the saw portion hardly at all so but it came with push stick feather boards etc. I got the Pro 1/75 36inch fence.

Mike Heidrick
03-08-2014, 12:22 AM
I use a gripper with mine. I put a base on mine but if not I would have the hydraulic lift mobile base too.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-08-2014, 3:23 AM
+1 on the hydraulic base. Pricey but awesome. I can move my 5 hp 52" ICS anywhere I want. I have Grrippers too. Buy 2 of them.

Bill Sutherland
03-08-2014, 6:59 AM
I've got the industrial base but passed on the overhead dust collector as I have two vacs I can use for pickup. Anyone use the Incra 5000?

Kevin Womer
03-08-2014, 8:45 AM
The hydronic or industrial base if you plan on mobility, the overhead dust collection and at least one gripper. I also picked up the throat plate from Infinity Tools that has replaceable inserts for dados or each blade you have. Pricy, but cheaper in the long run than SS throat plates for different sized dado slots.

Dave huber
03-08-2014, 9:16 AM
Consider a Forrest WWII.

The Infinity throat plate is worth the price and well made.

i just installed a Wixey DRO that I like much better than I though I would. It was an Xmas gift. I was skeptical about whether it would be useful.

i like it

enjoy

scott spencer
03-08-2014, 9:32 AM
A good blade is one of the most influential factors in how your saw performs. Inserts, mobile base, outfeed table, custom extensions, miter gauge, crosscut sled, feather boards, push devices, digital angle gauge, surface protection, etc.....all worthwhile.

glenn bradley
03-08-2014, 9:59 AM
I went with the Biesemeyer-like fence but, I doubt that effects the following. Although not acquired specifically for the Saw Stop, these all migrated there: Carbide Processors .125" kerf blades in 30, 50, 60 and 80 tooth, a pair of Grr-Rippers, Wixey DRO, Rockler Universal clamps, a kick switch, I changed the rails on my sleds and continue to use them. Specific to the Saw Stop I keep an extra blade and dado cartridge on hand and picked up a blank ZCI to make one with my blades that would fit tighter. I also have an insert for the dado. I change inserts quite a bit during my work but, if I didn't would definitely spring for the Infinity insert versus 2 or 3 of Saw Stop's versions. I use an Incra v-27 miter gauge with a telescoping Incra fence rail attached that I have modified for my needs.

I do have the overarm hose option and it is better than expected but, marginal when compared to others. This is due to the suction source which is a small diameter hose that is T-connected top the lower saw port. I hooked this to a shop vac and the performance was quite good. I have not made this a permanent modification yet. I also made a small handle sort of thing for my cartridge adjuster wrench which has cut my blade swap time down to near non-Saw Stop times. Like any new tool, once you get used to it, things flow quite smoothly

Matt Meiser
03-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Definitely the Infinity insert. I wish I'd bought that instead of the SS ones because of the value.

A Woodworker II or similar 40T blade lives on my saw almost full time. Ridge Carbide, Tenryu, Freud, and I'm sure others make similar good blades.

I had a Wixey DRO and wouldn't buy another. Mine constantly lost calibration even after they replaced the head and it wasn't the gap between the two halves or the tightness of the head. I do like my Wixey angle gauge.

Overarm dust collection on this saw is great. I have piping that goes to a hose to the blade guard but if that's not feasible consider their kit.

I have the internal mobile base. I rarely move mine so I like that it is out of the way when not in use. Not sure it'd be as good for everyday use. I got mine dirt cheap off a friend who found his SS was 1" lower than his old Unisaw/mobile base which meant it was lower than all his other surfaces.

My favorite push sticks/shoes are some that I got from my local hardwood dealer. They cut them from baltic birch on their CNC and sell them dirt cheap. I occasionally use a stacked Magswitch featherboard but not a ton. More often than not its when I'm making a shaker style door, cutting the groove.

The Rockler/Bench Dog auxiliary fence clamps work great for a short or sacrificial fence. For a shorty fence I like to make mine exactly 1" thick to make the fence math easy.

A good miter gauge. I like my Incra 1000SE but I'm crosscutting less and less at the TS with a good miter saw and fence setup.

Bill Sutherland
03-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Great information. I'd like to get as many of the accessories before it arrives and since there's no dedicated SawStop Forum this is a big help.

Andy Pratt
03-09-2014, 9:37 AM
FYI if you are buying blades it makes it handier for you if you stick with ones that are all the same outside diameter (talking exact diameter not 8" vs 10"). I use all freud blades and one time I borrowed someone's forrest blade and I would have had to adjust my brake (doesn't take long but annoying if you change blades a lot) to use it. It looked like it was about 1/8" larger diameter than my freud blades. If you don't want to have to measure them, just stick with all the same brand and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Bill Sutherland
03-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Since I have the Freud SD308 Dado set I will end up just purchasing Freud to make it simple.

Robert Chapman
03-14-2014, 9:04 PM
I agree with the positive comments about the hydraulic mobile base. I have one and it is wonderful - you can spin the saw on its footprint if needed.