PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make cutout for shelves

Kenneth Walton
03-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Quick question. I'm making pantry shelves, about 54" x 22" deep. My wife wants cut outs in from the front of the shelves, 24" long by 10" deep, so they make a sort of "c" shape, like you can stand in the middle and the shelves wrap around a bit.

I've got the usual assortment of power and hand tools. What's the best way to make the cutout? My hand saw skills aren't that great. Track saw the lines and finish with a hand saw? Jigsaw and smooth it with a plane/ rasps? I'd like to use the easiest, cleanest option.

Bruce Page
03-07-2014, 12:20 PM
I'd make a MDF template and use a bearing template router bit.

Pat Barry
03-07-2014, 1:19 PM
Assuming you need to make several and you want them to look the same I'd agree with Bruce. I'd rough cut 1st with jigsaw and finish with router.

Bill Huber
03-07-2014, 1:22 PM
I agree with Bruce, I think that would be the easiest to do and the quickest to do.

I think this is what you are making for the shelf.

Charles Wiggins
03-07-2014, 2:39 PM
Bruce and Bill have you covered pretty well on the cutting.
Another concern you will want to think through is reinforcing the shelves. With a 54 inch span, sag is going to be an issue, even with a light load. Normally I would reinforce the front edge with some hardwood edging, but the cutout is going to make that challenging. Reinforcing behind the cutouts will help, or you could think about a center leg system of some type.

Here's an article from Woodsmith that discussed some options: http://www.woodsmith.com/files/issues/sample/sample-08-09.pdf
A related SMC thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?191533-How-can-I-reinforce-some-shelves-to-prevent-sagging-under-a-load

Cheers,
Charles

Erik Christensen
03-07-2014, 3:53 PM
support should not be an issue as long as the shelf is supported/fixed along the back edge - if your pantry has adjustable shelves you had better have one or more shelf pin holes on the back wall - 54" is a long span to just support the ends

Jeff Duncan
03-12-2014, 11:49 AM
The guys have you on the right track, not knowing your capabilities I'll just add a little extra info. In order to make the template you'll need a couple things. First you need to know the radius of the curved opening assuming it's based on a circle, (ovals are a bit more complex). Then you need a circle jig for your router, if you don't have one you can easily make one out of scrap 1/4" plastic or even mdf. All you need is something to get your router bit the distance of the radius from a center point. Cut a half circle undersized by about 1/8" in your scrap piece of mdf, (ideal template material), and then clean up with the router or alternatively take the whole cut with the router and jig in small increments. Now you can clamp the jig to each shelf and route them all the same!

As far as support I'm not sure just a back ledge will be enough for a 22" deep shelf? Depends on what material your using and how thick? If need be you can always add an apron matching the curve to the shelf which will definitely kick it up a notch!

good luck,
JeffD

Peter Quinn
03-12-2014, 12:39 PM
My suggestion, ditch the radius front edge if that's the plan, it buys you nothing, keep the cutout a rectangle, rough cut it close with a BS or jig saw, route it with a template and bearing/router. Template is easy to make with MDF and a few biscuits or pocket screws. I'd lip the leading edge with a solid wood strip that acts as edge band and structure simultaneously. Maybe 1 1/4" high, 1" thick, rabbited to cover the plywood on the thickness. That you can miter easily around the cut out and it looks good like 1 1/4" shelves instead of plywood! I've done similar for small closet shelving. The bump in gives a good place for the body, allows used to get in closer.

Jeff Ranck
03-12-2014, 8:53 PM
Quick question. I'm making pantry shelves, about 54" x 22" deep. My wife wants cut outs in from the front of the shelves, 24" long by 10" deep, so they make a sort of "c" shape, like you can stand in the middle and the shelves wrap around a bit.

I'm wondering why you don't build them in three pieces, one across the back of the appropriate depth running from wall to wall and two on each side walls of the appropriate depth to make the sides. This is what you see in most pantries, closets, etc. Seems a lot easier than cutting out large sheets and you'll need a lot less material since you eliminate the waste of the cut outs. If they will be painted, no problems on the seams.

Also makes reinforcing the front edge a lot easier since you don't deal with cutouts.

Jeff.