PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 78 restored

David M Anderson
03-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Bought some planes that where in a "lot", needed a period knob for my type 9 plane.
a 78 that had parts missing was thrown in the bunch.
Well after a few months now, decided to work on it, need just a fence rod, depth stop and screw and spur assembly.

Buying separately the parts was going to be expensive, came across another 78 with some of the parts needed.
78 now complete.
The 78 is done now..a little more touch up work..

Darn, but now I have two more to get parts for,
this one has a marking I have not seen before, on a Stanley.
Circle with a U in it.
The last set of pics was the parts plane, with the circle and the U,
And to top it off a Wardsmaster brand style 78 was thrown in the buy.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-07-2014, 1:09 PM
Nice work Dave. If you need more parts, the Wards planes are identical, at least the ones I've had, and usually run cheaper. I'm impressed, probably too easily, every time I use a 78. Good stuff.

Jim Koepke
03-07-2014, 3:22 PM
My recollection is the U in a circle is just a foundry identifying mark.

Good work.

If you do not have too much invested in the extras you may be able to sell them off. I usually keep these all together until a desire for a new tool comes along.

jtk

David M Anderson
03-09-2014, 1:03 PM
Thanks, Steve and Jim.

Since this thread is about a restore of a 78, and now have two more candidates.
Should show one of my methods.

I ruled out electrolysis as it does take off some of the japanning, my other method is using lemon juice.
Should note, that it can be reused also.

Here are the two planes
One is a Stanley the other is a Wardsmaster C 201

Next step is to totally submerge the plane in Lj.

After about 24 hours, I remove the plane and clean up with hot water and soap.
Recently I have been using the non flammable brake cleaner. but will just use soap and water on this one.

Just doing one at a time. Wardsmater first.

I do like the feel of that handle style, blade on the Wardsmaster is not as thick as the Stanley, but the plane does look very well made.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-09-2014, 1:55 PM
Can we see some after the soak pics? I've used electrolysis, but something less of a mess would be nice for some stuff. Your Wards look different than the one I had. Apparently there are different types of them too.

David M Anderson
03-09-2014, 2:13 PM
I just started the soaking this mourning, I will be doing a step by step.

Here is a pic of a spokeshave done the same way though.

This is showing before and the final result.

Only brake cleaner was used, with a rag...for cleaning the LJ off.

Believe I did use a fine wire brush on the iron though.

David M Anderson
03-10-2014, 11:34 AM
It's been 24 hours since the submersion of the Wardsmaster plane that has been in lemon juice.

Here are some pics of what it looks like after just a soap and hot water cleaning.

As you can see, mostly rust free, I do however like using brake cleaner as it dissipates and cleans,
any rust forming liquids from the surface. Plus its one step closer to painting if so desired.

Cost is about 4 dollars a gallon for the juice, free if you don't get caught by the wife.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2014, 12:46 PM
My recollection is the U in a circle is just a foundry identifying mark.

Just found another reference to the OU mark. ( where a U is inside of the O.)

I had no idea planes could be Kosher.

OU is the Orthodox Union, a Kosher certification service.

No, I do not think a deli owned a major portion of Stanley nor did they use planes for food slicers.

jtk

David M Anderson
03-11-2014, 9:19 AM
Lol,

Kosher

I may have restored the wrong 78.

Pieces I have taken off the O,U #78 plane may just go back on it.

Just bought that plane just for the depth stop assembly and nicker assembly, got it cheaper than actually buying just a depth stop.

And then got the Wardsmaster thrown in to sweeten the deal, that is why I look at the newly listed or buy it now on the bay.

Well getting back to the plane, the Stanley comes out of the lemon juice today, will post pics.

Also might add that I thinking about picking up some citric acid and trying that as a rust remover in the future.

Thanks Jim,
for at least checking on that marking.

Edit:
As promised, here are some pics after the LJ bath, soap and hot water with a regular green and yellow kitchen scrubby.

The 78, OU plane.

Came out nice, if the sole is true no need for lapping.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-18-2014, 12:19 PM
David, do you just spray off the lemon juice with the parts cleaner? I soaked a 41 filletster bed overnight, and took it out this morning to rinse off. It looked great, until I washed it, then it turned black with oxidization. Back into the juice, think I'll try the brake cleaner next.