PDA

View Full Version : Bessey k body ?

Wayne Fuder
03-07-2014, 8:14 AM
I have some of the original K-body clamps as well as some of the newer style. The newer style have a much nicer handle. Is there a way to replace the original style handles with the newer style? The newer style are both more comfortable and provide a better grip.

Matt Meiser
03-07-2014, 8:40 AM
These made an immense improvement for me: http://www.rockler.com/clamp-handle-grips

Michael Heffernan
03-07-2014, 8:47 AM
+1, what Matt said. Bought a bunch for my old style K clamps. A little glue inside and slipped them on.

Alan Schaffter
03-07-2014, 11:43 AM
I have some of the original K-body clamps as well as some of the newer style. The newer style have a much nicer handle. Is there a way to replace the original style handles with the newer style? The newer style are both more comfortable and provide a better grip.

No, but you can sell me your old ones and go buy some of the new ones.

You can also make a little jig and flute the handles on a router table:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PC230007.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PC230008.JPG

Rick Moyer
03-07-2014, 6:36 PM
+1 on the fluting, but how much for a pack? what is in a pack?

Bill McNiel
03-07-2014, 9:40 PM
+1 on how many are in a "pack"/

Sam Murdoch
03-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Says - "contains 4 grips".

Jim O'Dell
03-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Something I read before on this for modification is to get some tennis racket handle material and add to the original handle. Said to give a pretty good grip. But those Rockler handles look like a great idea.
I got lucky when I bought the 12 Bessey's I have. It was right between the original style and the Revos. They were the old style clamps with the new style handle. I wish I could find some more and had the money to get them! Jim.

Frank Martin
03-08-2014, 10:36 PM
No, but you can sell me your old ones and go buy some of the new ones.

You can also make a little jig and flute the handles on a router table:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PC230007.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PC230008.JPG
I bought the Rockler hand grips and had experienced slips several times apparently because the glue was not enough to keep them solidly attached. I will give fluting a try.

Dan Rude
03-09-2014, 1:48 AM
Dip them in the plastic for tool handles. Either this forum or another one someone did it. You could also do it with the fluting. Dan

Andy Pratt
03-09-2014, 9:30 AM
I wrapped grip tape on my old ones and they are now almost as nice to use as the newer model k-bodys

Jim Neeley
03-09-2014, 8:27 PM
Hockey tape works well also, especially if you give it a spin like the hockey players do. That gives it an angled "knurling". If you wish you can make the handle a bit larger that way too.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim

Wade Lippman
03-09-2014, 9:05 PM
I cut up a bicycle tube and put it over the clamp. Works great and costs almost nothing.

I like the router jig idea though.

Rob Damon
03-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Yes and No.

First option:

The original Bessey K-bodies had handles that were pressed into a washer/socket that was never meant to be replacable. If you want to try some surgery (I will try it on one my old ones next weekend) and grind around the top of the washer so that the handle will pop out then you should be able to just replace it with a Bessey 3101370 ($12.99) handle that is what is on the newer K-Body clamps.

Second option:

File the open end of the bar so the entire slide jaw will come off the bar. Then you can just buy a newer sliding jaw Bessey KR-J2K.

Third option:

Cut off the fixed jaw and remove the sliding saw and buy the KR-Vo ($20.91) variable jaw and a KR-J2K ($31.99) sliding jaw and you will have the equalent of a Revo Vario. (It would be cheaper to just buy a new one altogether.)

Fourth option:

Remove the rivet holding the wood handle on the threaded shaft and turn a new larger handle on a lathe.

Or use one of the previous methods mentioned.

Rob

Bob Michaels
03-10-2014, 11:05 PM

I wrapped all of my K Body original cLamp handles with old fashion friction electrical tape. Inepensive and easy to do ! Find it on Amazon.

Rob Damon
03-14-2014, 8:31 PM
Just following up my earlier post. Yes you can replace the older wood handles with the newer ones, but it is probably more work than necessary. I took a small grinder to one of my older k-bodys and removed enough material around the inner socket washer and the old handle comes out. It took a while, but it came out. The new and old handles have the same exact threads. The difference between the two is the older k-body has a compression fit socket holding the ball on the end of the threaded handle and the newer ones have a more open socket with a inner retaining ring, that allows the hand to be removed easily.

Rob