PDA

View Full Version : Question on FAMAG Forstner Bits

Mike Henderson
03-06-2014, 6:05 PM
Traditional Woodworker carries FAMAG forstner bits, but they have two levels of the bits. One they just call "quality bits" (made by FAMAG and stamped FAMAG on the shaft) and the other is the BORMAX line. Anyone know what the difference is? I'm looking at a 3/4" bit and the "quality bit" is about $18, while the BORMAX 3/4" is $29. I don't think the BORMAX is carbide.

Mike

John Downey
03-06-2014, 7:05 PM
I don't know about the Bormax bits, but the standard FAMAG are very nice bits, I have several. Steel is nice and hard and the grinds are of excellent quality, unlike a lot of Chinese bits that I've had to touch up before they were at all useful.

Mike Henderson
03-06-2014, 7:16 PM
Thanks, John. I should have mentioned that I have a few FAMAG standard bits. I was just wondering if the BORMAX bits were worth the extra cost compared to the standard - and what the difference was between the bits.

If no one chimes in that the BORMAX are just really great, I'll order the standard.

Mike

Michael Peet
03-06-2014, 7:37 PM
I think the BORMAX bits have (more?) teeth on the outer edge. I don't know if this is the only difference. I have some of the standard Famag bits and they work well; they are my go-to forstners.

I agree that neither are carbide; they aren't expensive enough and it doesn't look like either has a welded-on cutter.

Mike