PDA

View Full Version : Box Keepers & Tossers

Rich Riddle
03-05-2014, 3:08 PM
Out of curiosity, how many of you woodworkers keep the boxes in which your tools arrive? I keep many boxes for small electrical tools as well as hand tools like planes; however, I have noticed many people selling tools devoid of the boxes. So with which group do you align?

Jim Koepke
03-05-2014, 4:07 PM
Depends on the tool and the box. For tools that are old that come with a good box, they are kept. For newer tools with an identifiable box they are kept. For a new tool that will not have added value when my estate transfers to kin or sales, the boxes are recycled.

Some collectors of old tools want the boxes and will buy the box without the tool. Some old boxes are in such bad shape they get tossed into the recycling bin. A few of my tools are stored in the boxes they came in. It is just convenient that way.

jtk

Val Kosmider
03-05-2014, 4:14 PM
I try to keep them. Plastic/metal carry cases for power tools, sure. Boxes for planes and hand tools? Yup. Bubble wrap for screwdrivers and small tools? Yes. I try to slit them open and create a little 'door' through which they can easily be returned to their original packaging. Not so much for any 'value' reasons, but because it is a convenient way to keep them stored, out of the dust, and readily identifiable/discernible when they are in a drawer with other items.

I am a pack rat, I guess...but a neat one...and don't throw much of anything out/recycle unless it really has no use (ever!).

David Weaver
03-05-2014, 4:18 PM
I keep cases for power tools and valuable boxes (like LV and LN boxes, etc) that people would like to see if I dump my planes. For inexpensive stuff, I dump all of the packaging and leave things loose on a rack unless it's something I'm afraid I might not be able to identify quickly without the boxes (like lighting ballasts, etc).

Myk Rian
03-05-2014, 4:32 PM
If the original box won't hold accessories, I make a new one out of wood, and recycle the OEM.

Art Mann
03-05-2014, 5:19 PM
I keep blow molded cases that came with tools like routers and drill drivers but if it is cardboard, it only remains in my shop until I am sure the device that came in it works correctly. If I saved all the boxes my tools came in, I would have to give up woodworking in order to provide enough cardboard storage.

Jim Matthews
03-05-2014, 5:44 PM
I keep all the boxes of items purchased new, in the event of resale.

It seems to make a difference as to how long an item is listed.
With a box, things go quickly.

Same tool, without a box can languish.

Go figure.

Bruce Page
03-05-2014, 7:03 PM
I have limited space so I toss most of them. Many times I have regretted it.

Shawn Pixley
03-05-2014, 11:45 PM
I am challenged by space. I am split between tosser and keeper. Tools that get used a lot, toss the box. But they have a place in immediate use area. Good tools that are use with some frequency, I keep the case as they are stored in the utilites closet. Cheap tools or "one need of the tool, ever", toss the box to save space. I put them in rubbermaid bins in cabinets - organized by activity (plumbing, electrical, etc...).

Brian W Smith
03-06-2014, 4:42 AM
Generally,a tosser.......if we're talking cheap blow molded cases.Rarely have the time in the shop to put tools back in them.Which,more often than not have space in the form of hanging racks,dedicated space,or a drawer in big metal tool cabinet drawer.

Tools/equipment that lives on the truck keep their cases for travel purposes.....they stack better.

Cardbd. gets cut into specific sized pcs for our assembly and finish areas.

Older,usually orphaned.....metal hinged boxes have a special place here.They get their insides modified,then wall hung in a convenient spot next to a pce of equipment.Usually painted to match equipment(literally takes 5 minutes),they serve for convenient tooling space for that machine.Find them at flea mkts.The nice ones have piano style hinges and very good draw catches.And gauge metal thick enough to get the job done.Old Milwaukee bxes are an example.Old Hilti bxs are some of the best.

Rich Riddle
03-06-2014, 5:01 AM
I keep cases for power tools and valuable boxes (like LV and LN boxes, etc) that people would like to see if I dump my planes. For inexpensive stuff, I dump all of the packaging and leave things loose on a rack unless it's something I'm afraid I might not be able to identify quickly without the boxes (like lighting ballasts, etc).
Your philosophy seems most in line with mine. A review of eBay and a few others always proves surprising when seeing how much less hand planes such as LN and Veritas bring simply because someone decided to throw away a box.

Rich Engelhardt
03-06-2014, 6:48 AM
Mostly a keeper.
It's probably a carry over from my days of gun buying.
A gun with the original box and papers fetches a premium price over one w/out.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Reading Val's comment about keeping the "bubble box" for screwdrivers and such reminded me that the plastic bubbles on hardware is often saved for mixing epoxy.

That is a little different than saving the box with an item. It is also a different reason.

jtk

Brian Elfert
03-06-2014, 6:41 PM
I almost never keep boxes for anything once I am satisfied I won't have to return the item. I did keep the box for my plasma TV as it is almost impossible to move without breakage without the box. Many of them broke on the shipping truck with the proper box.

If I'm looking at used tools I really don't care about the box unless something is like new. I would probably recycle the box once I got home in any case. Planes might be different, but I don't buy them.

John Goodin
03-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Since I go through periods where I do not do major project I like to keep the blow molded cases. Actually prefer to purchase tools that come with them. As far as cardboard is concerned, only if the tools is expensive, has many parts or somehow helps with storage. All of it helps me with storage.

Jeff Erbele
03-07-2014, 3:04 AM
Almost always I toss the cardboard boxes. The one exception is a laminate counter top trimmer because I use it so infrequently (maybe every couple of years), it fits nicely in the box, is fairly easy to get out and put back in. Usually I find the opposite, that it is a half an engineering feat and half complicated puzzle getting it to fit back in the box, cord, accessories, packing and all. Its more hassle than its worth. I'd rather use the tool and enjoy the project than play with the box.

Blow molded cases and metal storage boxes are another topic. I keep and use all of those.

I can only think of 4 power tools or machines that I ever sold over 38 years and having the box was meaningless in regards to selling those or the price they brought. Three of them, a Shop Smith, a Craftsman Band Saw, and a Craftsman bench top scroll saw, normally no one puts back in the box anyway. The fourth was a Craftsman router and it had a blow molded case.
Generally I don't sell tools. Those Craftsmen tools did not meet my needs or perform as well as I expected and the Shop Smith had to go because I was moving and didn't have room or time for at the time.

Well I recycle the cardboard, I might take a digital photo of the tool data, Model, S/N, features and what's included, or cut the box apart and scan that information. I'll file that with the owners' manual, with the receipt in a "tools & machines" file drawer in the shop.

Brian Ashton
03-07-2014, 11:25 AM
The vast majority of tools I've bought are well in the collectable range of tools and I would most likely benefit a bit more financially if I kept the packaging when they were to go up for sale... But the amount of space needed to store them would've been ridiculous, I would have hundreds of little boxes kicking around slowly rotting away. So no, in the past I used to drag them around with me but I've cleaned out the old ones a few years back and threw away all the new ones as they came in.

Frederick Skelly
03-07-2014, 9:31 PM
When I buy a good tool, I keep the box. Not sure why - I dont store them in the box. But I keep the box.

Stupid human tricks, I suppose. :)

Joe Tilson
03-08-2014, 9:09 AM
I like to store my tools in the org. package. I even keep the cardboard boxes like the MKII and the grinding kit accessories come in. I do this because of the lack of a dust collection system. I do use a vacuum to catch some of the dust, but have no fine dust collection.