PDA

View Full Version : New Phone Suggestions

James Tibbetts
03-05-2014, 2:08 PM
Well as much as I hate to do it, I think it's time for a new phone. Geez, ya just can't get one to last more than 10 years.
A. My carrier will probably be Verizon.
B. I will NOT buy an "I" anything.
My neighbor has the Samsung S4 and it looks pretty nice.
That said what is everyone using? What to avoid? What is your data plan and how much of it do you use every month?
I know, lots of questions.
But then you won't likely have to answer them for another 10 years.:D

Thanks.

Prashun Patel
03-05-2014, 2:34 PM
All phones will be lightyears better than whatever you had even 2 years ago.

I too loathe I-products. However, as a Windows phone user I will tell you this:

1) the typing technology is 2nd to none on the i-phone. Even the bigger s-4 or Nokia Lumia's can't hold a candle to the 5-s's recognition ability - IN MY HANDS.
2) the apps aren't as good on Droid platforms, and they STINK on Windows platforms. I didn't think I'd care about app's, but I do now.

Don't underestimate how powerful a tool this thing is; don't buy a phone thinking, "I don't care about texting or apps", because before too long, you WILL. buying a phone that can do those things very well will eventually be important to you (read, me).

The only nice thing about the not-i phones is that they can be plugged into your pc and can be accessed through normal file browsers. I-syncing requires itunes (by and large).

Wade Lippman
03-05-2014, 2:44 PM
I picked up a Nokia 520 for $50. Very basic phone, but it works and I don't have to be concerned about what happens to it. Unlimited everything from Straight Talk for $500 a year. I don't use it that much, but it is nice to know that I can't possibly run out of anything.

Wade Lippman
03-05-2014, 2:45 PM
2) the apps aren't as good on Droid platforms, and they STINK on Windows platforms. I didn't think I'd care about app's, but I do now.

True, but it will get better.

Peter Kelly
03-05-2014, 3:09 PM
If you go the Android route, I recommend the Nexus 5 (https://www.google.com/nexus/5/). Decent value at $350 fully unlocked plus it comes loaded with stock Android.

David Weaver
03-05-2014, 3:13 PM
I'd go with whatever the widely distributed android phone is at the time you buy (was the galaxy for a while, etc).

I've had a driod phone for a while, and I troll the free apps (i'm sure there are good paid ones, too, it's just not something I feel like spending money on) and there's plenty there for me to keep myself entertained.

I view the phone as an expense. Good enough and free or cheaper is far better for me than "the best and expensive".

Rich Riddle
03-05-2014, 3:29 PM
I like the Jitterbug; it's very simple and works well.

Jerome Stanek
03-05-2014, 4:04 PM
I have a samsung gusto just the basic phone and $15. a month had this plan for 26 years now.

Myk Rian
03-05-2014, 4:27 PM
My Wife and I both have Samsung GS3 Androids. Large enough so you can actually see things, yet not so big they don't fit in a shirt pocket.
She got hers free from Verizon, and they might still offer that. Running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean right now, but an upgrade to KitKat is coming up fairly soon.
Our plans are $60 each for unlimited talk, text, and 2gb data which we have never come close to using, as you'll want to use Wifi whenever possible.
The Note series are quite a bit larger, and the GS4 is in between.

James Tibbetts
03-05-2014, 4:35 PM
Thanks to all who have replied.

"I view the phone as an expense."

Dave- Me too. But I have no doubt it will end up being one of my favorite toys!!!

"can't hold a candle to the 5-s's recognition ability"

Prashun- Do you mean it can figure out what my ten thumbs meant to type instead of what I did? I can see the apps being very interesting, still not so much on the texting.

So far no one has mentioned browser capabilities. Any big differences there among platforms or models? Which apps would tend to require maybe a 32 Gb memory model as opposed to 16 Gb?

Myk Rian
03-05-2014, 4:40 PM
So far no one has mentioned browser capabilities. Any big differences there among platforms or models? Which apps would tend to require maybe a 32 Gb memory model as opposed to 16 Gb?
I use the stock browser instead of Google Chrome, even though they're both written by Google.
We have 16gb models, and I've had as many as 300 apps in mine, but trimmed it down to ones I actually use. Still have 7.5gb left.
I also have a 64gb MicroSD card for pics, music, videos, movies. Plenty of storage space.

It's one of my favorite toys.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-05-2014, 5:51 PM
I use a S4, a LOT, and have to say, I'm impressed. Phones typically last much less than a year for me, because they simply wear out. The factory Samsung keyboard sucks. Use swiftkey instead, its on the app store. It's a better keyboard than the Iphone I have for a backup. Chrome browser, on your phone and your desktop, and it'll sync your favorites, history, etc, and make a good seemless interface. My very favorite feature though is the camera, and how it syncs with google, so I just click (great quality pics btw) and there are on whatever computer I log into. Don't care about the proximity sensors, the scrolling with your eyes stuff, or the other gizmos, but the screen quality, the apps, and especially the google interface, make it unbeatable by an Ianything. Oh, the voice recognition on the google bar is better than siri to, at least for my midwest "accent".

The best part about an android phone, everything is customizable. Try that with an Iwhatever.

It's not perfect, I wish it was waterproof, but there is a new version coming that will be, and it ships with too much extra bloat ware.

Yes, I know I'm going to get harpooned by the coolaid drinking Ifanatics, but I frankly don't care. I've tried both, and this android is better in my not so humble opinion.

James Tibbetts
03-05-2014, 6:29 PM
Steve can you get rid of the bloat-ware or is it hard wired? Great tip on the browser to sync with the pc.

Myk I hadn't even considered that the phone would have an SD card. That should solve any memory problems I would think.

This is great information folks. Thank You!!

Steve Rozmiarek
03-05-2014, 7:16 PM
Honestly the bloatware is just annoying, not really a real deal breaker. I have 79 apps on my phone, something like 400 pics, and a dozen or so videos, and according to the memory "monitor", everything is running fine. Some of the bloatware comes off easily, some doesn't. Anything made by Samsung doesn't, the third party stuff does. I read that google was going to market a phone directly that was in essence bare.

Myk Rian
03-05-2014, 7:43 PM
You can delete, or disable bloatware by rooting the phone. I used Saferoot. Took me a year to get the guts to do it, but it was so simple, I should have done it a long time ago.
As mentioned, you can customize the crap out of these things.

Dennis Peacock
03-05-2014, 8:04 PM
I use a Galaxy S4 now. I was on iPhone for several years and I decided to make the jump to Android. Glad I did. I really like the S4 phone.

Matt Meiser
03-05-2014, 8:24 PM
still not so much on the texting.

That's what I said to. Now I bet my wife, daughter, and I exchange at least 10 texts amongst just the three of us per day on average. Daughter will often text a test score as soon as she gets on the bus (when its good news) and my wife will text her after-homework chores. She'll text me when she's leaving work, or when she needs me to do something. All stuff where either we couldn't make a call or a call would take way more time than a simple text.

Larry Frank
03-05-2014, 8:41 PM
I have the Galaxy S4 and it is my first smartphone. My family actually has three of them and I am very happy with them. The data usage is not very high as most of the time they are used where there is a Wifi network and we typically do not download movies or music. I do use mine to read books as it is quite handy to have something to do when you are waiting somewhere. I use the Kindle App to read.

I have to admit that others in my extended family are iPhone people. However, I am just anti-iPhone for really no good reason.

Myk Rian
03-05-2014, 9:19 PM
However, I am just anti-iPhone for really no good reason.
Maybe has something to do with being overpriced?
iPhones are good for the non-geek, as they are so simple to use. But that comes at the price of customizing, and the sheer numbers of apps available for Android.
I know a few app programmers that refuse to port to iPhone. Apple makes it very difficult to get an app approved.
Example: A Dr. Watson at Penn State wrote an app to watch the progress of every major league ball team. I asked him to port it to iPhone so a friend of ours could have it on her iPhone. He did it for several teams. Half of the apps were approved, the other half not. And they were the exact same app. Only difference was the name of the team. The Tigers app wasn't approved. :confused:
He swore he would never write another app for an Apple product.
Like I always say: "I'm an Android Wolf, not an iSheep". ;)

Steve Rozmiarek
03-05-2014, 9:21 PM
That's what I said to. Now I bet my wife, daughter, and I exchange at least 10 texts amongst just the three of us per day on average. Daughter will often text a test score as soon as she gets on the bus (when its good news) and my wife will text her after-homework chores. She'll text me when she's leaving work, or when she needs me to do something. All stuff where either we couldn't make a call or a call would take way more time than a simple text.

Plus, texts will go through in a lot of places that have poor enough signal that a call won't.

Myk Rian
03-05-2014, 9:26 PM
Interesting thing about texts. They ride on a sub carrier that was unused. Then the wireless companies figured out they could paste texting to it, wouldn't cost them anything because it was already there, then charge us to use it. Capitalism at it's best. :rolleyes:

James Tibbetts
03-05-2014, 9:27 PM
So how does using Wifi cut down on data usage? How is that air time accounted for in your service package?

Jim Tobias
03-05-2014, 9:34 PM
Take a moment to check out Galaxy Note . It is large, but it took me less than a week to appreciate what a plus it is to have a large screen. Easier to read, easier to type and the voice activation is so good that texting, ,emailing, etc. it a breeze. Not to mention that everything (games, web surfing, reading posts on SMC) is more enjoyable on a large screen.
Jim

Myk Rian
03-05-2014, 9:37 PM
Air data is measured by your provider. Verizon has an app to show what you have used for the billing period.
You use Wifi to cut down on the amount of Air data. If you go over the 2gb, it's like $10 for another gig. I have never gotten to 1gb, even while traveling around for almost 2 weeks.

curtis rosche
03-05-2014, 9:46 PM
I would recommend a case for whatever you buy. I bought an Iphone 4 a year ago, and still have not a single scratch in it. Cause I keep it in the heaviest case that otterbox makes. paid 100$ for the case but the second day I had the phone I dropped it off a trailer out of my shirt pocket. It bounced off the trailer tongue to the pavement, not a scratch. After a year the case shows some wear, but not the phone. I don't think any of the tech phones today were designed to last, cause they want you to buy the next model as soon as it comes out. I got the previous model cause the bugs were worked out, and had the most/best option for indestructible cases.
My case doubles my phones thickness and makes it unrecognizable as an Iphone, but Ive never had to wipe pine sap off the phone itself, and I can wash the case if I get a call while working with stain. Being waterproof I also don't have to worry about it if I have to run out of the shower for it, or if I have it in my sweaty pocket on a 100 degree day workin in the sun.
Point being, Whatever phone you get, put the best case you can get on it if you want it to last and not have to worry about it. Might be bigger or bulky, but saves the hassle of worrying and buying a new phone and trying transfer data and such

Matt Meiser
03-05-2014, 9:57 PM
We have 3 smart phones, a hot spot, 2 flip phones, and a Home Phone Connect on our Share Everything plan. Share Everything has unlimited talk/text so we have my parents' phones on there for less than they were paying for limited minutes on Sprint. Daughter is limited to 1GB of data, we've never used 4GB total. Flappy Birds apparently uses a lot of data and last month daughter used all hers in 3 weeks. I use the hot spot when traveling so on average a few days a month plus maybe a day every other month when the DSL goes down. My phone usually uses just over 1GB and I listen to Pandora pretty much any time I'm in my truck (but I don't have a commute) and do a good bit of email and web surfacing "out". I used a little more last summer as I also listen to Pandora mowing and go in and out of Wifi range. That "problem" is getting solved by an outdoor access point this spring.

I leave my iPhone's wifi on all the time so the second I get home it goes on Wifi. My parents' wifi, Panera's, Starbucks, and many other places we frequent are all saved too so I'm on Wifi at those places.

Also, +100 on Otterbox cases. Wife and I use commuter cases. I switch to a Defender in the summer. Daughter has a Defender too. Some of those extremely large phones like the S4 are large enough that they can flex in a pocket and break the glass in addition to damage from impacts. Check with your homeowners for insurance coverage. We pay something like $30/phone/year for a $100 deductible. Verizon wants almost half that per month.

James Tibbetts
03-05-2014, 10:00 PM
O.K. I think the light bulb came on! In Wifi mode the phone is simply an access device to some local network. There is no usage on the service provider network; i.e. free wifi at McD's.
Yes?

Matt Meiser
03-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Correct.

Jason Roehl
03-05-2014, 10:02 PM
So how does using Wifi cut down on data usage? How is that air time accounted for in your service package?

Wifi is a wireless network done typically in a small area such as your home or a coffee shop. It's typically free, though hotels, airplanes and cruise ships will often charge for it. This is not the same as data that you would pay for as part of your cellphone plan (often required to have a data plan if you have a smartphone, though some carriers just bundle it all). For instance, my current AT&T plan is $25/mo for 2GB of data transfer, but I probably use more than that for free when I'm at home through my cable internet wifi router.

But, then again, I'm a old computer geek, so I have an iPhone 5 that I've jailbroken, so I can browse it just fine from my computer, use it as a wireless hotspot, and install non-Apple-approved apps and tweaks written by a third party.

Oh, and get an Otterbox for whatever you get. They add bulk and weight, but they protect the phone. I'm hard on my phones, but with Otterboxes, I've never cracked a screen, including many drops on hard surfaces.

curtis rosche
03-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Heres the one I use.
My only complaint is the metal hinges aren't solid. They are plastic sprayed with metal, its wearing off on mine, but I think they've fixed it.
http://www.otterbox.com/armor-series/armor-series,default,pg.html

Steve Rozmiarek
03-05-2014, 10:48 PM
But, then again, I'm a old computer geek, so I have an iPhone 5 that I've jailbroken, so I can browse it just fine from my computer, use it as a wireless hotspot, and install non-Apple-approved apps and tweaks written by a third party.

You have to hack an iphone to do all that? I didn't know that. The wireless hotspot is a feature I use often. No extra wireless card needed for a laptop in the field, just use the hotspot.

Agree on the otterbox. They have many models, I use a lighter one than Curtis, but even it makes a huge difference.

Rich Engelhardt
03-06-2014, 6:45 AM
I picked up a Tracfone (LG) last December w/1200 min of air time.

I have 1194 min of air time left.

To say I seldom use my cell phone is an understatement.

John Conklin
03-06-2014, 7:59 AM
I got an LG G2 about a month ago and I love it. It is my very first smartphone, so I can't really compare to other phones. My friend, co-worker, IT guy and all around tech junkie has one and that's what promted me. The screen is so big and sharp its hard to remember that it is just a phone. It's also simple enough that I've had no problem learning it.

Matt Meiser
03-06-2014, 8:04 AM
You have to hack an iphone to do all that? I didn't know that. The wireless hotspot is a feature I use often. No extra wireless card needed for a laptop in the field, just use the hotspot.

Not on a 4, 4s, 5, or 5c on Verizon.

Jason Roehl
03-06-2014, 8:25 AM

Agree on the otterbox. They have many models, I use a lighter one than Curtis, but even it makes a huge difference.

Well, the hack allows you to not get charged an extra $20/mo from AT&T to use data you already pay for, in a different way (I almost never use the hotspot). It would cost $30 or so to get the full version of the 3rd-party app that allows for a full-featured hotspot. The free hotspot app (PDANet) doesn't allow for secure (https) connections. As for the other stuff, honestly, out of the near 5 years I've had 3 iPhones, about 4.5 of those years have been jailbroken, so I've forgotten some of the factory limitations.

Myk Rian
03-06-2014, 8:47 AM
The last update to Android broke the free tethering apps, but developers have been able to hack it.

Matt Meiser
03-06-2014, 8:52 AM
Well, the hack allows you to not get charged an extra $20/mo from AT&T to use data you already pay for, in a different way (I almost never use the hotspot).

AT&T still charges extra for hotspot? Verizon dropped that when they announce the Share Everything plans.

Jason Roehl
03-06-2014, 9:14 AM
AT&T still charges extra for hotspot? Verizon dropped that when they announce the Share Everything plans.

Last I checked, but that has been quite some time, probably over a year. Right now I'm eyeballing the new AT&T Family Share plan of 4 devices, 10GB, $160. The problem is that it is a bit of a jump from our 2 devices currently, and we really would only want to add one--daughter just got her learner's permit...yikes!

Wes Mitchell
03-06-2014, 9:17 AM
I like my Galaxy S4 Active. Same thing as the S4, except it's water proof (you can drop it in a puddle, then take an underwater picture of said puddle) and dust proof, with an 8MP camera instead of the 10 or whatever the normal S4 has. It's only offered by AT&T though.

Matt Meiser
03-06-2014, 9:19 AM
daughter just got her learner's permit...yikes!

Ouch...

We've found good value in our 6th grade daughter having a phone (she had an iPod Touch before so basically the same device plus phone) as she's at more and more things where we aren't there--sports practices, girl scout events, etc. The cost of adding her line to the share plan was a cost savings over our old home landline which we no longer need since we each have a phone. We added the Home Phone Connect for the shop so there would be a fixed phone there with a loud ringer which put us back about where the home phone used to cost but much more utility.

Curt Harms
03-06-2014, 9:42 AM
Steve can you get rid of the bloat-ware or is it hard wired? Great tip on the browser to sync with the pc.

Myk I hadn't even considered that the phone would have an SD card. That should solve any memory problems I would think.

This is great information folks. Thank You!!

Some Android phones don't come with SD card capability. Something to check on if that's important. Google for one doesn't believe you need an MicroSD card, you should store things on their (Google's) cloud storage.

Jason Roehl
03-06-2014, 9:45 AM
She already has an iPhone 4--sans SIM card, so it's just an iPod for now. If there's wifi, she can use a free texting app to get ahold of us (or even call), and our boys also share an old iPhone 4 sans SIMS card, but we homeschool our kids, so they're not often out and about without one of us.

Larry Browning
03-06-2014, 1:35 PM
O.K. I think the light bulb came on! In Wifi mode the phone is simply an access device to some local network. There is no usage on the service provider network; i.e. free wifi at McD's.
Yes?
Actually, a "phone" that is not connected to any service plan, like an old phone that you replaced and threw in a drawer, can still be used as a wifi device for free. So using you phone for data stuff over wifi is free because it is not an activity requiring cell service. However, keep in mind SMS(texting) is not a "data" activity. So being wifi connected will not help with savings on texting services. (This was difficult to communicate clearly to my children in the past. It was not made completely clear until the phone was taken away for a week! This was back in the day when most plans had a limit on the number of texts you could send without incurring extra charges.)

Larry Browning
03-06-2014, 2:07 PM
I think they need to come up with a new name for these "phones". The phone part of is really a very minor piece of how they are used anymore. Maybe call them PCDs (Personal Communication Device) or maybe MAD (Mobile App Device). I just think "phone" needs to dropped from its name. Cause it's not really a phone. That would be like calling a drill press a vertical spindle sander. It can be used for one, but it is hardly it's primary function.

Brian Elfert
03-06-2014, 5:52 PM

There are still many Verizon customers getting charged extra for hot spot use. I don't believe all two year contracts from before the Share Everything plan was announced have expired yet. There are also many customers who are keeping their old family plans as they find them less expensive than changing to the Share Everything plan. Most folks I know with Verizon family plans are hanging onto the old family plan for now instead of switching.

As far as Ken's point, I still use my iPhone more for talking on the phone than anything else.

John Goodin
03-06-2014, 10:38 PM
James
if you are not a texter now; you may become one. I began to love texting after realizing I could communicate instantly with people with whom I did not want to talk. That is a priceless feature.

Larry Whitlow
03-07-2014, 1:10 AM
Smart Phones -- my wife has one, my daughter, my sons, my nieces and nephews, in-laws, friends and just about everyone I know has one. I am still using my $29 Pantech (voice & texting). I did use a company provided Blackberry before I retired and appreciated having it. I understand how powerful smart phones are and they are way beyond my old blackberry. I just don't want one. Or, maybe better to say, it is far down the list of things I would really want. Besides, if I really need to use some smart phone app, I can always just ask the wife, kids, etc, etc.

Jeff Erbele
03-07-2014, 5:01 AM
I think they need to come up with a new name for these "phones". The phone part of is really a very minor piece of how they are used anymore. Maybe call them PCDs (Personal Communication Device) or maybe MAD (Mobile App Device). I just think "phone" needs to dropped from its name. Cause it's not really a phone. That would be like calling a drill press a vertical spindle sander. It can be used for one, but it is hardly it's primary function.

Well they started as Cellular Phones, then the mfg's started added features, (maybe not in correct order) an address book, calculator, digital camera, eventually a memory card, wifi - internet, computer software, apps, music, video, hot spot, GPS mapping & navigation, etc. and whatever. The basic cell phone became somewhat of a swiss army knife of most anything technology or digital related. Nothing here everybody else doesn't already know, but all of it was built around a cell phone, now a "Smart Phone" or "Smart Device". We now carry more computing power in our shirt pocket than the early main frame's had or more than NASA had in the early years of the space program. Pretty amazing.

I simply call it my "Communicator", borrowed from Star Trek :cool:

Jim Matthews
03-07-2014, 7:27 AM
I recommend a browse of Consumer Cellular.

I've been a happy customer for more than 5 years.
They use the same towers as larger carriers.

You may not have the latest generation frequency searching gizmo, but unless
you're streaming video - it's not a noticeable degradation of voice or text.

I bought a cheapo Android phone (http://www.amazon.com/Fwvga-Screen-Mtk6577-1-2ghz-Android/dp/B009N1AB74/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1394194957&sr=1-3&keywords=pad+phone) off Amazon, that's BIG so I can read the numbers
and ORANGE so I can find it when I put it down. It was under $200 when I bought it.

Consumer cellular (https://www.consumercellular.com/Cart/Plans) has a nice selection of plans, and you pay as you go - NO contract.
If you buy an "unlocked" phone from any carrier, verify that it can be used on others.

Some of the bargains have costs buried in the extended contract.

Be wary of anything that sounds too good to be true.

It has a nice flip cover so the screen isn't scratched after nearly two years.

Mark Andrew
03-07-2014, 10:00 AM
I would not buy a phone that is on either the Sprint or Verizon networks. There are two reasons why. 1. You cannot simultaneously receive data and calls with CDMA phones; the network is not capable of it. You need a GSM phone to do that, which means T-Mobile or AT&T. My job requires me to be in long calls at times, and if I'm on the road, the ability to check an email or Google something in a call is useful. On a CDMA network, the wifi hotspot in the phone will suspend while you are on a call. 2. CDMA was a commercial failure outside the US & Canada. There are no CDMA networks in Europe. Business phones need to be able to roam without question, and that again means a GSM phone; AT&T or T-Mobile. This may not be an issue for some, but is crucial for me.

If you use a Mac, you will get on better with an iPhone. The Mac, iPhone and iPads all share data and settings through iCloud. You can see your email on all three, share web bookmarks across all three, share documents, all seamlessly.

iPhones do indeed have a hotspot feature, they can be either wifi, bluetooth, or USB cabled. The one feature I wish they had was a removable SD card.

That said, I recently saw a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and the screen was outstanding. Shame it used Android, my favorite app (Next Issue) isn't available for the Note 3, otherwise I would have bought one.

Disclaimer - I am a telecom engineer and a registered Apple developer, so I have a particular interest in this!

Brian Ashton
03-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I've had two phones recently: samsung galaxy note and now the sony xperia z.

Probably the thing that stands out for me with their respective android versions is samsung appears to do a better job on it's particular version of android. The Sony's version feels and looks quite amateurish by comparison and has removed a number of features that I would think are quite practical, like being able to rename a file...

The Galaxy Note also connected to any computer as an external HDD without the need of for software, where as the Xperia Z won't connect to all operating systems without some sort of application to facilitate this.

I don't like having to buy a phone and then buy a waterproof case also. They're more a pain in the butt because you're always opening and closing the delicate doors to do anything; and they eventually fail. So from now on my phones will be dust and water proof, which limits me to Sony Xperia Z line and Samsung Active. However both have delicate doors that are prone to fail, same as the cases. To counter this I've bought a cradle and bluetooth headset that allows me to operate the phone without having to open the doors ever. The Sony appears to have the better bluetooth accessories for their phones. The Sony SBH52 Bluetooth headset will take calls, make calls and remotely control my music with or without the earbuds, and is water proof. The cradle works with two exposed contact points on the phone to allow charging. Problem is, the SBH52 doesn't play well with other makes and models and it doesn't appear that there are any really good bluetooth headsets, or cradle, available to samsung phones that works as well.

Also, the earbuds that come with the samsung were excellent. But! if they break good luck finding another set. For some unknown reason samsung won't sell them on their own. They offer a couple subpar versions. There are cheap counterfeits that look exactly like the OEM ones, but they're wouldn't be worth it even if free.

There are so many phones out there it can be very overwhelming to figure a way through all the features. Luckily for me my criteria is so stringent there is only a couple phones to choose from. Good luck in your hunt.

James Tibbetts
03-07-2014, 1:35 PM
Mark, thanks for the information. Sounds like the "I" thing has more capability than would ever be of benefit to me.
You're the second one to mention the Galaxy note I believe. I will have to give it a look.

Matt Meiser
03-07-2014, 2:23 PM
I would not buy a phone that is on either the Sprint or Verizon networks.

That's all well and good if you are in an urban area. AT&Ts coverage and available network speeds fall of as you move way from urban centers.

Pat Barry
03-07-2014, 2:52 PM
That's all well and good if you are in an urban area. AT&Ts coverage and available network speeds fall of as you move way from urban centers.
It probably depends on where you are. For example up at our cabin, my brides droid smartphone only works on the deck overlooking the lake (Verizon) but my old Samsung Jack works inside and in more locations around the property (ATT). Unfortunately, you won't know for sure til you have it and try it.

Matt Meiser
03-07-2014, 3:52 PM
Yes, that's definitely a generalization but one that generally holds true with some exceptions. There's a lot of areas in Missouri with no Verizon service but AT&T but overall there is a lot more land mass covered by Verizon 4G than even 3G AT&T. Since he's buying a smart phone, one would assume data service would be important.

AT&T's coverage numbers go by people covered, not land area.

Roger Feeley
03-07-2014, 5:40 PM
If you have decided on the Samsung Galaxy, you might want to wait for the S5. They are adding some nifty power management. There is also some weird stuff that you probably wouldn't care about but the battery thing seems worth waiting for.

Full disclosure: I just ordered the Galaxy S4 but I had to have it for work and my old phone (HTC Evo) is getting wacky .

Mark Andrew
03-07-2014, 6:03 PM

It's a very subjective thing. At our lake property in the wilds of E Tennessee, I get 5 bars and LTE coverage. 50Mbit/s on AT&T. Two years ago, I was struggling to get even a phone call.

The coverage maps show a story.

Here is Verizon's. The red indicates some sort of coverage, the dots are where they have LTE.

Here is AT&T's, again, dots are LTE, orange tone indicates other coverage.

But what does it really mean for LTE? Blue is AT&T LTE coverage, red is Verizon LTE. When you remove the fallback 2G and 3G networks from the graphics, it shows quite a difference.

Jim Matthews
03-07-2014, 8:54 PM
This is a very good point - unless you can test drive the service in your daily route,
you could be dropping calls and paying for the privilege.

Orion Henderson
03-12-2014, 3:58 PM
I use a Samsung Note 3. I will never go back to a small screen smart phone. Highly recommend. After using this one for a few months there is just no comparison. I would imagine hand size plays a role in that. It would be huge for my wife, but fits my hands nicely.